Looking for attorney in the Lansing Michigan area

Looking for attorney in the Lansing Michigan area

Investor · Grand Ledge, MI · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 6 votes

I own one single family rental, and I am in the process of purchasing a second. I would like to find a good attorney (and a CPA would be nice too) in the Lansing Michigan area to advise me on tax and liability implications, entity structure, etc. 

Does anybody here have a good recommendation?

Thanks in advance!

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Lansing, MI - Michigan · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 8 votes
10y

Hi @David Bilbey,

I've been searching for exactly the same thing and have been compiling a list of potential accountants and attorneys that I want to talk to.  For both professions I've been looking for someone who either specializes in real estate or at least has a lot of experience / clients in that area.

So far, here is what I've come up with.  I can't recommend any of these people since I've yet to actually work with any of them and have only actually spoken to one of them.  However, I hope it might be a helpful starting place for you.  If you do end up contacting any of them, please PM me your thoughts on them!

Accountants:

Fortin & Associates, PLC (http://fortinassociates.com/)
I met with Peter Fortin and he seems very knowledgeable and experienced in real estate matters.  I wouldn't hesitate to use him, but wanted to talk to at least one other accountant before deciding.

Bruce Meyers, CPA
(517)410-4510
I've not spoken to Bruce yet, but he comes highly recommended from another investor.

Attorneys:

Sam Dua (https://www.facebook.com/dualaw/)
I have yet to contact Sam, but I know several other investors that use him.

Brent Titus (http://www.fosterswift.com/professionals-Brent-Tit...)
I've never spoken to Brent, but he was a referred to me when I met with Peter Fortin.

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Parma, MI · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    My good friend Brook Bisonet is an attorney the Grand Rapids area. He's from Jackson so he's down your way on a regular basis. Please let me know if you would like me to get you two connected.

  • Real Estate Agent · Lansing, MI - Michigan · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi @David Bilbey,

    I've been searching for exactly the same thing and have been compiling a list of potential accountants and attorneys that I want to talk to.  For both professions I've been looking for someone who either specializes in real estate or at least has a lot of experience / clients in that area.

    So far, here is what I've come up with.  I can't recommend any of these people since I've yet to actually work with any of them and have only actually spoken to one of them.  However, I hope it might be a helpful starting place for you.  If you do end up contacting any of them, please PM me your thoughts on them!

    Accountants:

    Fortin & Associates, PLC (http://fortinassociates.com/)
    I met with Peter Fortin and he seems very knowledgeable and experienced in real estate matters.  I wouldn't hesitate to use him, but wanted to talk to at least one other accountant before deciding.

    Bruce Meyers, CPA
    (517)410-4510
    I've not spoken to Bruce yet, but he comes highly recommended from another investor.

    Attorneys:

    Sam Dua (https://www.facebook.com/dualaw/)
    I have yet to contact Sam, but I know several other investors that use him.

    Brent Titus (http://www.fosterswift.com/professionals-Brent-Tit...)
    I've never spoken to Brent, but he was a referred to me when I met with Peter Fortin.

    Hope that helps!

  • Investor · Grand Ledge, MI · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Awesome, thanks Gabe! I'll look into them. I'll be sure to let you know how they turn out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2014 · 493 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    I'd connect with the folks at the RPOA of Mid-Michigan.  They meet monthly and can likely refer you to a good attorney that deals with rental property in Lansing.

  • Investor · Grand Ledge, MI · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I already have the next meeting on my schedule. Thanks Clay!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.