Blanket Loan Property Sale Capital Gain

Blanket Loan Property Sale Capital Gain

Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi, I've never posted on BP before, but have been an avid reader and know there are a lot of smart people on the site who may be able to help me with a tax question.  I was unable to find this scenario, but if someone is aware of an existing post or can help, I would be very appreciative.

Background:

-Established an LLC with a partner and bought a single tax parcel of land with 2 existing buildings on the property (1 multifamily building in good shape and fully rented - Building A; 1 in substantial disrepair - Building B)

-Financed the entire purchase (both buildings) under a single blanket mortgage secured by all of the assets of the LLC

-Worked with an attorney and the city and had the buildings legally separated; No loan modifications were made (or required)

-Did a full rehab of Building B and turned it into a multifamily

Numbers for Discussion Purposes: 

-Building A market value $225K; Tax basis $115K

-Building B market value $450K; Tax basis $225K

-Blank Loan outstanding $325K

Question:

I now have the opportunity to sell Building B for the assumed market value above.  I would like to sell the building and extinguish the entire loan.  Do I need to recognize a capital gain on the sale of a) $225K ($450K minus basis of $225K), b) $125K ($450K minus loan of $325K), or c) something in-between (i.e., am I required to apportion the loan between the buildings in some manner)? 

0Reply
15 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    10y

    The loan has no bearing at all on the capital gains.  None.  Your gains are sales price less sales cost less adjusted basis.  Adjusted basis is the original basis (purchase price plus purchase closing costs) plus capital improvements made less depreciation taken (or allowed, if that's greater).  The amount of gains up to the depreciation taken or allowed (whichever is greater) is subject to the tax on unrecpatured depreciation, currently capped at 25%.  The remaining gain is subject to capital gains tax.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.