Calculating Property Tax in NYC

Calculating Property Tax in NYC

Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes

Hi All,

I recently began my search for a multi-family property to buy and hold in NYC and have been getting caught up in the tax calculations. I worked with a couple different lenders and they didn't completely understand the rates either (not a good sign!). So, I'm hoping the Bigger Pockets community can help with this question.

The NYC Department of Finance Website says you calculate your tax rate by:

Market Value (MV) x Class Assessment Ratio (6% for Class 1 Property) = Assessed Value (AV). So, if your MV is 1,000,000 then your AV (or "Taxable Value" if there are no exemptions) would be $60,000. A taxable value of $60,000 x Class 1 Tax Rate of 19.554% = $11,732.4 in taxes anually...

However, an import step is to apply the state law rules which limit how much the AV can increase from one year to the next. In the case of a Class 1 property, this is 6%. The lower amount between the two calculations your AV.

So if the current AV on a property is $15,525 (you can look up the current tax bills on properties through NYC Finance) then I'm thinking more simple calculation would be Current AV on Tax Bill ($15,525) + 6% ($931.5) = $16,456.5 x Tax Rate for Class 1 (19.554%) = $3,217.9 annual tax bill. I've increased the value by 6% (the limit it can increase) to be safe and since most properties I'm looking at haven't been assessed in some time.

Does this math check out or am I overlooking some critical points?

Thanks,

Ed

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
10y
Edward Casano I'm in the same boat as Lelith Walker just no tax abatement. If your using an agent they give you listing with estimated taxes. If your looking at hundreds of properties you can take their word for it. Once you narrow it down a bit I would double check. I think they are down by Livingston street but there is also a NYC.GOV website you can pull info off. Keep in mind when your doing your calculations the county has no idea what the property is really worth. Right now if it's in Brooklyn they are probably lower than actual. My place in Brooklyn the market value is around 550 and I get offered 1.1 or 1.2 cash every few weeks. The taxes are 2500 a year. Property taxes are about the only tax I've ever heard of that is low in NYC....as long as you don't pull any permits.
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 263 posts · 141 votes
    10y

    I do not do the math I just pay the 4000 tax they send to me.

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    @Lelith Walker - How did you calculate the tax before you purchased the property?

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 263 posts · 141 votes
    10y

    I didn't do it then either.  I had a 10 year tax abatement because I bought in an area the government was trying to turn around.  The 10 years have passed so now they charge me approximately 4000 for the year for my 3 family.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    10y
    Edward Casano I'm in the same boat as Lelith Walker just no tax abatement. If your using an agent they give you listing with estimated taxes. If your looking at hundreds of properties you can take their word for it. Once you narrow it down a bit I would double check. I think they are down by Livingston street but there is also a NYC.GOV website you can pull info off. Keep in mind when your doing your calculations the county has no idea what the property is really worth. Right now if it's in Brooklyn they are probably lower than actual. My place in Brooklyn the market value is around 550 and I get offered 1.1 or 1.2 cash every few weeks. The taxes are 2500 a year. Property taxes are about the only tax I've ever heard of that is low in NYC....as long as you don't pull any permits.
  • Professional · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    When you have a house coming out of the tax abatement your taxes are not going to shoot your taxes up so quickly Your best bet at this point find a good tax grievance lawyer or do it on your own every November
  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thanks @John Hickey for the response. This question has been a mystery to the lenders and agents I've worked with, which is strange! I'm just trying understand if the purchase of a property leads to a property tax reassessment and how much taxes on a property can increase YOY -- does the 6% rule apply when transferring ownership? I want to be able to make this determination when assessing a property's ROI. I've seen a lot of  multifamily properties with taxes ~$2250 and in some cases less and it would be great if they stayed that way. ;) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    10y

    @Edward Casano

    After I hit send I thought to myself I should defer to another that might know a bit more about taxes.  I have a bit of knowledge but not enough to speak from authority.  It's great  you ask those questions and work out the numbers. Love the enthusiasm. I need to get that back about numbers.   So much the better to understand why things are the way they are.  

    I'll guess that sale doesn't trigger a new assessment but I could be wrong.  Permits I know do trigger.  However if you grieve your tax bill in my hometown in Westchester a sale price would be taken in to consideration.  I'll make a few calls and see if I can get you an answer. Most likely I am 90% wrong we'll see. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.