Homestead Exemptions on a Rental a no no

Homestead Exemptions on a Rental a no no

Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes

The home I owned turned into a rental for 4 years, but I did not cashflow. I could not sell it for the loan amount, so I rented it for 4 years. I never notified the appraisal district folks, that I was not using it as a primary residence. I have to tell them, since I now changed my mailing address with the appraisal district folks. I will be telling them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on asking for forgiveness? I think they will want me to pay back the difference.

I am in the Dallas County District. (Dallas, Texas)

0Reply
25 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    think you get that claim for one property, usually your primary, as long as you did not have on two properties I don't see where it makes a hill of beans.

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @darryl me keel 

    I bought my new primary residence in Dec 2013. I claimed tax exempt in a different county.

  • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
    10y

    Yes, they are going to want their money that you owe.  You should inform them before they catch it. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    As of 2011, Your driver's license must match the property address being claimed for the Homestead exemption

    The penalty for claiming a property that is not your homestead is payment of the back taxes along with interest and penalties

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Greg H.

    Thanks Greg. That is what I thought. I hope they will be easy on me.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
    10y

    There is a two year exception to the rule, if you notify them you will be moving back into the property.

    The requirement is to notify in advance, so no luck there, but this tidbit might help others.

    My exemptions in Collin county went away last year and the crazy appreciation drove my taxes up $2400 for the year.  So much for cash flow...

    Different counties/communities have differing tax rates, so the old address was better for the exemptions, but we ended up staying here and had to bite that bullet eventually.

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone. I went to visit them and was honest. I will get tax bill in the mail.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    10y

    @Rigo Medina Your honesty is commendable. Need more investors like that.

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Herrig

    I'm a believe in that what goes around comes around.

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I'm in the same situation. They said (TX, Collin Co.) I can keep the exemption for two years if I plan to move back.  So that at least gives me another year.  This will turn my $430 to around $230.  It's not too bad, but I may sell anyway, because I'm out-of-state.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.