Attorney screw-up: home address on LLC settlement docs?

Attorney screw-up: home address on LLC settlement docs?

Investor · Great Barrington, MA · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 39 votes

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I set up through my attorney an LLC with a PO Box and street addressing. I did this many months in advance of closing on my first property, which took place on 9/30.

Yesterday I picked up all my closing documents from my attorney (the same one who set up my LLC), and my home address is on every document...HUD-1, Deed, Notice to Tenants, Loan Agreement, etc.

I am LIVID. On one hand, I probably should have spotted it while I was signing all these documents, but I sort of think that's the attorney's job, no? Having set up the LLC himself, and having observed me correcting the address with other parties (eg, insurance binder), this isn't a difficult thing that needs a hawk's eye. Pretty simple..here is my address.

What can I do? What would you do?

MH

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Levi T.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Chill, it's an easy fix, your blowing a gasket on something so small. Easily fixed in a few minutes, plus you really should read what you're signing, otherwise you will always have surprises if you don't, and mistakes will happen. By you. By others. By everyone. We are human. You can be livid and lose a lot more than just a few minutes of time, like real money, because people wont do deals with you if your known for being hot headed on every little issue and placing blame. Just recognize the mistake, and get it fixed without all the fuss. If people like you, they will run through walls for you.

Anyone who has done a number of deals will have something like this happen at closing. I have, and much more.

Best,

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    9y

    @Michael Healy, I agree.

    I guess I have personally experienced this myself a few times and not part of my closing ritual is to double check the entities and addresses on the paperwork.

    Once a wholesalers title company used the wholesalers address with my entity name. The tax bill was sent there, I never got it, but guess who had to pay a $1000 fine? So, now I even double check the county records (deed, tax, etc) once the deed is filed.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Percy N.  this stuff happens all the time.. as you know I probably close 15 to 20 transactions a month that I am the owner of ... so we make boo boos all the time.. I simply don't have the micro management .. plus with the way the world is you cannot hide were you live.. all someone needs is lexus nexus and your name.. and boom they will know where you live where you parents live your siblings etc etc..

    only way you can keep this from happening is to never have anything in your name utilities included.. but even at that you can be found. 

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2014 · 318 posts · 156 votes
    9y

    @Michael Healy

    "it's not even the right wrong address"

    LOL!

    Hopefully you get this resolved.

  • Chris WaltersPro Member
    Montreal, Québec · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    @Michael Healy In some place, the government will not permit a P.O. Box because if they have to serve any legal and important document, they require a location where you either live or have an office. Some lawyers simply ask you for your address and if you don't have a business office, they set up your business as if you are running it out of your home. For sure for privacy reasons it it scary, but even banks have the same mentality. You can have a Po Box on docs but they require an address other than postal office.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.