Tax Advantage for using HELOC on Investment property

Tax Advantage for using HELOC on Investment property

Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 6 votes
So, I scoured the forms, and I couldn't find anything on this. I would appreciate any thoughts you guys could share. My thesis is: for certain individuals interested in buy and hold, it could make more financial sense to use a HELOC for a greater part of your financing strategy, due to tax consequences. So, I'm under contract on an investment property (my 2nd!) and we are heading towards closing. I plan to have a 30-year mortgage for 75% of the value, and then I'm considering using a HELOC from my primary residence as the downpayment (or I might use cash). I have a traditional full time job with a W-2. Due to my adjusted gross income, I am not allowed to deduct my passive activity losses against that income, and I am not otherwise a "real estate professional." So, if my passive activity losses are greater than my passive income (and they will be due to depreciation), I have to carryover any and all loss until I dispose of the property, which could be a very long time since I plan to buy and hold. But, here's the interesting thing -- for the HELOC on my primary residence used to help purchase the property -- the interest paid on the HELOC IS deductible against W-2 income, even if used that on for an investment property, and regardless of passive activity loss rules. So, putting aside the variable nature of the HELOC interest vs. a mortgage, wouldn't it make sense to stretch the HELOC to as far as you comfortably could so that you create a situation such that the Interest is deductible against your W-2 income? I understand this situation would apply only to people who can't deduct passive activity losses against their regular income, but I have to imagine that's a very large group on Bigger Pockets. And also, I'll disclaim for you -- I understand any and all responses are not advice, and you recommend I seek a tax professional.
0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Chris K. debt tracing rules come into play. Interest is deductible where funds are utilized.

If you take a HELOC and buy investment property, funds are deducted on Schedule E. If you take a HELOC and start a business, funds are deducted on Schedule C.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/01/25/deducting-interest-home-equity-line-credit/

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lance LvovskyPro Member
    Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
    9y
    Definitely get with a CPA who can advise you accordingly. With that being said, yes, interest on a HELOC generally is deductible on Sch A (there are some limits to this, but this is the general rule). What most people don't know is that interest on a HELOC tied to your primary investment can also be deductible on Sch E or against pass-through income under the interest tracing regulations. This can get complex, so find a CPA who invests in real estate and they can advise you.
  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris K. debt tracing rules come into play. Interest is deductible where funds are utilized.

    If you take a HELOC and buy investment property, funds are deducted on Schedule E. If you take a HELOC and start a business, funds are deducted on Schedule C.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/01/25/deducting-interest-home-equity-line-credit/

  • Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Hmm. Thank you. I read the article, which was informative and well-written, but I didn't see anything to contradict the idea that, if you used a home equity line of credit secured by a personal residence to provide money for your investment activities, you have a choice. You can, if you want, deduct up to $100,000 of the interest on the HELOC as a personal itemized deduction under the IRS provision that lets you deduct up to $100,000 home equity debt in addition to the $1,000,000 in home purchase debt. Alternately, you could allocate the interest on the investment property to your Schedule E, write it off there and not write it off on your Schedule A. If this is right (and maybe it's not!) then if the interest between a mortgage on the investment property and HELOC are comparable (again putting aside the variable nature of a HELOC), wouldn't it follow that a HELOC would give a non-real estate professional a better position?
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    8y

    As I look for funds for our new properties, I like the HELOC idea, take what you need to get deals done, and then put it back when it gets refinanced. There is no need to pay 2-3 points and the fees and credit to get a loan against a property, if you can do the same thing with a HELOC. Plus the HELOC sits there until its ready to be used.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.