Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 329 posts · 124 votes
I just received my tax notices for my holdings in Indianapolis and some of my tax payments have tripled. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good attorney who does tax abatement that I can speak to. Thanks.
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
9y
Being from Indiana - you need to realize that there are 3 taxing levels dependent on the property type. If the property was purchased from someone who previously was living in the property, your taxes will at least double (you lose homestead level). Most residential rental property is at 2x taxing rate capped by the assessment values. If it is commercial, they can triple. Maximums are set based on the use of the property. Additionally, the taxes in most areas have been increasing year after year. As suggested - you probably should get some assistance from an organization that works through property taxes.