8k First Time Home Buyer Credit Repayment?

8k First Time Home Buyer Credit Repayment?

Member since 2010 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I'm hoping someone here will be able to guide me...

I purchased my first home in Feb. 2009 and received the $8,000 first time home buyer credit with the stipulation I would keep the home as my primary residence for 3 years.

My issue is, I recently became engaged to an Airman stationed in another state. His enlistment is up Feb. 2013 and we plan to return to the area, so I would like to keep the house, and am planning to rent it out to my roommate and another person. Since the mortgage and all utilities are already in my name, I plan to keep it that way, have the renters pay me their monthly payments, and I will in turn pay what is due.

I have been told by my buyer's agent who helped me purchase the house that because I am not the one in the military, I would not be able to get around repaying all $8,000. I am curious if this is true, or if there is a way around NOT repaying the credit, since I am keeping the home and plan on returning AND I am moving due to military....

any ideas?

0Reply
14 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Keeping the house is not enough to keep the tax credit. As soon as you move out (that is, it ceases to be your primary residence) the tax credit must be repaid. If you move out in 2010, it will become due with your 2010 tax return.

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    16y

    Jon is correct. That being said, an exception would be made if you were a military spouse (see Form 5405, Part III, 12). You would not have to repay the credit as long as your new primary residence (and duty station) is at least 50 miles from the residence used for claiming the credit. The exception does not apply to a fiancé however.

  • Member since 2010 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bill Walston:
    Jon is correct. That being said, an exception would be made if you were a military spouse (see Form 5405, Part III, 12). You would not have to repay the credit as long as your new primary residence (and duty station) is at least 50 miles from the residence used for claiming the credit. The exception does not apply to a fiancé however.

    Hm. ok, well it's not like we planned to be engaged long anyway. there's a possibility of him getting deployed to Japan, and if we're married I'd be able to go with him. I'll check into the Form you mentioned. Any idea if there's a time limit or a number of months you have to be married for that to happen?

    Thanks so much for the help, both of you!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    There's no time limit on how long you must be married before qualifying.

  • Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    I bought a condo in June 2009. Then end of the year my husband lost the job till now.
    By no choice we need to rent out one room for some income in Sept to Dec 2010. The rental income is $500 x 4 = $2,000. I want to
    know if I need to pay back the credit $2000 or just some %?

  • Homeowner · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 207 posts · 73 votes
    15y

    Lai,

    You wouldn't need to pay back anything. Since you still lived there as your primary residence, it doesn't matter if you rented out 3 of the bedrooms and slept on the couch.

    It's an all or nothing deal. If you live there, you're fine.

    Hope that helps.

  • Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Brendan J.:
    Lai,

    You wouldn't need to pay back anything. Since you still lived there as your primary residence, it doesn't matter if you rented out 3 of the bedrooms and slept on the couch.

    It's an all or nothing deal. If you live there, you're fine.

    Hope that helps.

    Thanks Brendan!! I am happy to know that since every dollar count now. We are not able to pay back anything.
    Thanks again!! :lol:

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.