Kyle Tx - sell recent investment for another - resent new forum

Kyle Tx - sell recent investment for another - resent new forum

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 2 votes

Hello BP, I am considering selling my first buy & hold SFH investment for a better investment. I bought my first investment in late 2016 in Kyle, TX. It was a new contstruction - 1400sq ft. After PITI and HOA's, I am only cash flowing $145 per month (excluding cap ex, vacancy, ect.) - so my real cash flow is close to zero. I have since purchased my second and wisely chose a better cash flowing SFH in New Braunfels - $375 cash flow all in. I am comtemplating selling my first to buy a better investment in the same area (New Braunfels/San Marcos). Lets assume I am able to recover my down payment after the sale including closing costs, ect.:

Should I 1) sell now, reinvest and get a better cash flow immediately (after a break even investment over 18 months); 2) hold off until I can sell for atleast some profit, or 3) Sit and wait (buy & hold)...and assume/hope appreciation will come though in a growing market near Austin (keeps some diversification as well)

Id like you hear some feedback. *note - this is assuming I can find the same deal as my second (just to keep it simple). Thank you! Ken 

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    Having your money sitting in a bad investment, hoping for it to generate unknown returns at some point in the future, is not a good strategy. If you are able to find another investment that cash flows $375, that seems like a no brainer to me.

  • Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Hey @Ken F.,

    I think that is a great question and honestly a great problem to have. I think you have plenty of options. Even if you are not cash flowing right now, you have a newly constructed home. This tells me the maintenance on the property will be minimal over the next 15 years. Most people acquire older homes, brag about there cash flow of $300 per month but spend over $2,000 a year on maintenance. You already have equity, appreciation still looks great in that area, and you should be raising rents every year. Being asset rich and not cash rich is not a problem when looking at the future. On the other hand, if you feel confident in finding another home that will cash flow over $300/month then that is great as well. If that is the case, I would sell and roll on. Lastly, get creative. Advertise the house as owner finance. Have the buyer put 20% down and charge them a higher interest than you pay a monthly in PITI. This frees up your capital, cash flows the property, because you don't have to worry about repairs or vacancy. Call up a lawyer that can help with owner finance (wrap) dispositions. He/She will put your mind at ease because there are a lot of uneducated people out there that will talk you out of this strategy. You are definitely in a great position! Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.