Looking for Reputable Solo 401k Providers

Looking for Reputable Solo 401k Providers

Investor · Phoenixville, PA · Member since 2008 · 257 posts · 18 votes

I'm looking to start a truly self-directed Solo Roth 401k. Does anyone know of any reputable companies without outrageous fees?

0Reply
252 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

Well, I won't be taking Rich Dad's advice on this or anything else.
His opinions on 401K's are well documented as simplistic and they don't apply to this situation. He is referring to most employees who choose to put money in their company 401K plan. The trustees of those accounts do put severe restrictions and charge high fees (not taxes). We are talking about something very different.

His basic complaints are 2 fold.
1) Most people invest their 401K funds in mutual funds which pay tax and have fees and expenses and have market risk..
This is irrelevant to our discussion. We are not investing in mutual funds.

2) He believes your income tax bracket will be higher when you take the money out than it is now. This may be true or this may not be true. If you think it will be true then you do a Roth and pay the tax now.
If you don't you do the reg 401K. Problem solved.

He also ignores the benefits of tax free compounding in the reg 401K.

As Kevin (and nearly every legit financial expert) says a 401K is one of the most powerful wealth building vehicles available.
Can you invest in money-losing things with it? Yes. But the vehicle itself is great and the solo 401K is the way to use it to its fullest potential.

See this reply in the discussion

128 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce M.:


    I have decided to move ahead with pgiselfdirected.

    http://www.pgiselfdirected.com/

    I'm interested in anyone's feedback on pgi self directed. I found one or two references on biggerpockets that led me there.


    I know this is an old thread, but don't want anyone finding it to get burned.

    I went with PGI Agency (pgiselfdirected.com) 7'ish years ago and was happy. I am definitely not happy now. I went through a divorce and need the QDRO form. The plan specifies "Participants and beneficiaries can obtain, from the plan administrator, without charge, a copy of the plan's procedures governing Qualified Domestic Relations Orders." I asked for the QDRO form (typically a 1-2 page template) 5 months ago. It has still not been provided. PGI was great, but now he is either too busy or just doesn't care about running his company, and I am stuck holding the bag to figure out how to transfer an existing 401k plan as well as deal with an angry ex that doesn't have her money.
    Buyer beware.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.