Property management company mishandles my privacy info

Property management company mishandles my privacy info

Jia LiuPro Member
New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 11 votes

For my investment property, I hired a property management company to manage the property. Since they will be handling my taxes, they needed my SSN. So they asked me to send a copy of my SSN card and other sensitive information through email to them. I declined to do that on multiple occasions due to security reasons and asked if I could send it through standard mail instead. They said I could do whatever that makes me feel safe. So I sent them my information through standard mail. A few days later after they processed my information, they needed my signature. Guess what they did? They sent a freaking email back to me with my SSN and SSN card and drivers license attached everywhere in the PDF attachment. And without any enhanced encryption! Just the default encryption with my email provider. I am wondering if I can pursue any legal action against this property management for mishandling my personal information like this. Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 72 votes
    8y

    bump

  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    A glimpse of the future. Good luck. I gave up -everyone has mine-utilities, credit card companies, NSA, IRS, bank employees, property managers, landlords, doctors, hospitals, insurance companies, car dealers, airlines, DMV, apple, Samsung, etc. really think it’s safe? It’s like a secret that everyone knows. 

    When SS#s were issued only the feds were allowed to have them.   It was against the law for others to ask for it. 

    There are strategies to protect your ssn and substitute for an entity TIN but most likely to late now. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.