BP I need some advice!

BP I need some advice!

Homeowner · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Hey BiggerPockets I am looking for some advice.  I am trying to sell a manufactured home my wife has owned for roughly 13 years.  The manufactured home is located in a park in San Diego County.  The owner of the park has made some demands of us to do repairs before we sell.  Replace the roof, fix carport posts, replace screens, that sort of thing. No where in the leasing agreement does it say anything about replacing the roof, and I didn't see anything in the California Laws about doing so it's going to cost us just over $5,000 to do so.  The lot owner has also gone to the open houses held by my agent and decided to point out all of the stuff he thought I should be fixing before selling.  We have had several people interested in the home and have said that we did a great job of getting it ready to sell, but when they talk with the park owner about the lot fee he said he would raise the lot fee by $200 and he does not provide any services.  Needless to say he has scared off all of the potential buyers for our home. We cannot sublease the property, even though I want to, do I have any recourse in this situation or am I just stuck?

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Jason Langmo:

Hey BiggerPockets I am looking for some advice.  I am trying to sell a manufactured home my wife has owned for roughly 13 years.  The manufactured home is located in a park in San Diego County.  The owner of the park has made some demands of us to do repairs before we sell.  Replace the roof, fix carport posts, replace screens, that sort of thing. No where in the leasing agreement does it say anything about replacing the roof, and I didn't see anything in the California Laws about doing so it's going to cost us just over $5,000 to do so.  The lot owner has also gone to the open houses held by my agent and decided to point out all of the stuff he thought I should be fixing before selling.  We have had several people interested in the home and have said that we did a great job of getting it ready to sell, but when they talk with the park owner about the lot fee he said he would raise the lot fee by $200 and he does not provide any services.  Needless to say he has scared off all of the potential buyers for our home. We cannot sublease the property, even though I want to, do I have any recourse in this situation or am I just stuck?

Have a one hour meeting with a real estate attorney in your area. Take the agreement with the Park with you along with any written agreements and HOA information. Don't rely on a general discussion website for legal advice.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Langmo:

    Hey BiggerPockets I am looking for some advice.  I am trying to sell a manufactured home my wife has owned for roughly 13 years.  The manufactured home is located in a park in San Diego County.  The owner of the park has made some demands of us to do repairs before we sell.  Replace the roof, fix carport posts, replace screens, that sort of thing. No where in the leasing agreement does it say anything about replacing the roof, and I didn't see anything in the California Laws about doing so it's going to cost us just over $5,000 to do so.  The lot owner has also gone to the open houses held by my agent and decided to point out all of the stuff he thought I should be fixing before selling.  We have had several people interested in the home and have said that we did a great job of getting it ready to sell, but when they talk with the park owner about the lot fee he said he would raise the lot fee by $200 and he does not provide any services.  Needless to say he has scared off all of the potential buyers for our home. We cannot sublease the property, even though I want to, do I have any recourse in this situation or am I just stuck?

    Have a one hour meeting with a real estate attorney in your area. Take the agreement with the Park with you along with any written agreements and HOA information. Don't rely on a general discussion website for legal advice.

  • Homeowner · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking of doing, I just wanted to see if I had a leg to stand on before I shell out money on a lawyer.

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Langmo:

    @Account Closed Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking of doing, I just wanted to see if I had a leg to stand on before I shell out money on a lawyer.

     You can post at AVVO.com for free, it's a legal advice website and see what the consensus is. Let us know what they say. I'm curious, too.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    I am not a lawyer so therefore take this as what it is worth. Is this in San Diego?

    I doubt he can force you to put on a new roof even if it needs it. 

    If you do not have an agreement on maintaining the rent, I suspect he can increase it. 

    I doubt you can do much about him expressing an opinion on what needs to be fixed.  This hopefully would not scare a buyer away as most buyers use a home inspector.  Our home inspector report likely would make my personal home seem like a piece of s*** and about to fall down.  

    Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.