Anyone have experience with land conservation easements or farms?

Anyone have experience with land conservation easements or farms?

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes

As someone with a full-time job and W2 income in a very high tax state I have been looking at ways to maximize my tax deductions. As part of this strategy it was suggested I look into land conservation easements. However, I have had trouble finding companies that seem to specialize in offering out of state investors these type of properties (hard to find good properties for this in NYC for sure) especially with some type of property management. Another alternative would be a syndicator in this area but again I have not really been able to find much here or elsewhere. 

Has anyone here utilized easements? If so, what was your experience?  Has anyone done it from out of state where they actually own large plots of land or farm land as both an investment and for easements? Any experiences or referrals would be appreciated. 

Kudos to @Brandon Hall for the suggestion to look into easements, always has good suggestions for us RE investors. 

2Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

@Charles Worth , 

CE is one-time deduction that you get. Usually, there are companies that pull money together from investor like you in a partnership and you would get the K-1s from the partnership with huge charitable deduction. 

I dont know if you know this but CE is not a traditional investment.

So you need to understand that you are not buying a property that is giving you a tax deduction from its operation. The partnership you invested will donate the "inflated easement right" on the land it bought and get the fair market value deduction of that easement as a charitable deduction. People invest in them ( partnership) each year to get a charitable deduction. IRS has ramped up audit on these transactions. These transactions are already scrutinized by IRS as they were moved to " Listed transaction" since 2016. 

We have dealt the 100s of them last few years. You basically would buy an interest in the partnership for 50k, and you would get the deduction for 200k as charitable distribution in the K-1s that flows through you. 

Not saying you should not invest, but make sure you understand the risk of this kind of transactions. 

INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Charles Worth , 

    CE is one-time deduction that you get. Usually, there are companies that pull money together from investor like you in a partnership and you would get the K-1s from the partnership with huge charitable deduction. 

    I dont know if you know this but CE is not a traditional investment.

    So you need to understand that you are not buying a property that is giving you a tax deduction from its operation. The partnership you invested will donate the "inflated easement right" on the land it bought and get the fair market value deduction of that easement as a charitable deduction. People invest in them ( partnership) each year to get a charitable deduction. IRS has ramped up audit on these transactions. These transactions are already scrutinized by IRS as they were moved to " Listed transaction" since 2016. 

    We have dealt the 100s of them last few years. You basically would buy an interest in the partnership for 50k, and you would get the deduction for 200k as charitable distribution in the K-1s that flows through you. 

    Not saying you should not invest, but make sure you understand the risk of this kind of transactions. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
    8y

    @Ashish Acharya

    Besides for the tax deduction, why is it not a normal investment?  Do you not get the rights to the land? I assume the partnership still holds the land? Easement land is not worth as much but I doubt it would be worthless. 

    I did read about the audit risk that is certainly a consideration. 

    I am also surprised there are not more people who let you actually have the whole land itself where you could actually own it and take the deduction but retain the land for your own use. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Charles Worth:

    @Ashish Acharya

    Besides for the tax deduction, why is it not a normal investment?  Do you not get the rights to the land? I assume the partnership still holds the land? Easement land is not worth as much but I doubt it would be worthless. 

    I did read about the audit risk that is certainly a consideration. 

    I am also surprised there are not more people who let you actually have the whole land itself where you could actually own it and take the deduction but retain the land for your own use. 

    You are right. But, If not tax deduction,  why would you invest in the land, unless your strategic move is to invest in the land?  I thought you were looking for tax deductions. 

    CE is mainly used to save taxes by wealthy individuals. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
    8y

    @Ashish Acharya

    Well both would be preferable (the deduction and the investment). I can think of a number of ways to syndicate the deduction and either buy land that was not even a decent investment or give the actual benefits of the land to the syndicator. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I would like to invest in a syndicated conservation easement. Do you know of any that are open to investors?

  • Mt Kisco, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Charles Worth curious to know how it went if you pursued this route ... I’m curious to explore this myself.

  • Real Estate Investor · Moses Lake, WA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Russell R.

    I just caught this post. If your interested in farm land. Buy it and rent it back out. Good return in some areas. With depreciation

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.