Manage Personally Owner POroperty as LLC

Manage Personally Owner POroperty as LLC

Rental Property Investor · Findlay, OH · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 12 votes

Sorry for the botched title!

I own a couple rental properties in my personal name. I have an LLC (Single member self managed) I just started for general contracting/ renovations repairs for customers. I'm setting up Buildium and am trying to structure my leases, payments, and expenses through the business accounts.

Can I have the LLC designated as the Landlord and then sign on it's behalf even though the properties are in my personal name?

Any special considerations for expense reporting? 

Also, I have dwelling policies on each of my properties in addition to an umbrella policy. Will assigning my LLC as landlord limit what these policies will cover me for?

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 263 votes
    8y

    @Chris Karley, talk to the attorney / accountant. My 2 cents - as a property owner you don't want to be a landlord. Open a separate company, lease you properties to the company on the master lease, and have company lease it to tenants. This way you have a corporate shield between you and a tenant. Also have a separate entity for construction / flips as you get different tax treatment. Good luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.