Lower those property taxes, increase your return!

Lower those property taxes, increase your return!

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
You be surprised on how many people do not contest their property taxes or don't even know you can. When I purchase a property of course the only way I do is if it's a good deal. Being local In Cleveland its much easier than an out of town investor. So when I buy of course I always look at the counties value off of the County web site. Here it's on the Cuyahoga County Authors site. My purchase price is always lower than the Counties value. Here we can contest values once a year January-April. Once you file the paperwork you will have a meeting with the Board of Revision and present your evidence. Here your trump cards are your HUD statements and purchase agreements. They have to honor those purchase prices on that statement. BUT I SAY BUT be very careful. They want to know if you know the seller any way at all. If you do know the seller by chance it could throw a wrench in your argument. They're assuming your lying since you know the person. They can not prove you know the seller so that's up to you if you tell them the truth or not. I told them I knew the seller on one of my purchases and was honest about the purchase price and they gave me hell for no reason. Once the hearing is done your decision will be emailed and mailed to you. As long as you came with the HUD and Purchase Agreement you will not lose. I've contested all of my 44 properties and never lost. For our properties and our out of town investor partnerships we handle the tax contesting. We understand that RETURNS MATTER. So on average fighting these taxes we increase our returns from 2-5%. That's a significant amount. The country does reevaluate the taxes every 3 yrs. But they have never raised my taxes drastically from what I fought it to be lowered to, if they raised them at all. So investors fight for every angle you can. It's your money increase those returns!Good luck investing (THESE ARE EXAMPLES OF LOWERING TAXS IN THE CLEVELAND OH ARE) Tips: if your unsure of filing hire an attorney. I did all paperwork myself because when I first started money was tight. I also wanted to learn the process. the process the the system. But now I also bring an attorney, the board of Revision see
2Reply
17 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Prairieville, LA · Member since 2015 · 311 posts · 424 votes
    8y

    That is a great tip!

    I have contested my property taxes on numerous occasions and have not had as much luck as you.  I have brought mountains of evidence only be to be denied.  I have had reductions about 25% of the time only because I was very persistent.   I can say that the hard work was very much worth it, as you can stay on the same assessment for several years.

    There are two levels of appeals we can do in my state, one at the city/parish level and one at the state level. I have even had HUD statements and MLS listings of sales. The officials in my state fight tooth and nail to hold on to the tax revenue.

    As you mentioned, there is only a certain time of the year to protest.  If you wait until you get the tax bill on the week of Thanksgiving, it is to late.  We have "open tax rolls" for a period around August/September.  The dates are announced every year and vary.  The appeals process has deadlines as well.

    We have an inconsistent assessment of property in my area.  There has just  been a big write-up in the local news over a huge underassessment of commercial properties.  Many paying only a third to one half.  A few years ago, one of the local tax assessors got voted out of office because it was found that most of her family and friends were way under assessed. This is one that denied me.  We also have certain houses that are under assessed by one half or more because that have not undergone a reassessment in 40 years whereas state law requires it to be done every four years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Frank Wolter I'm assuming your HUD 1 shows that you purchased the property for less than what the county assessor site has it appraised at? Around here, almost all properties sell higher than the assessor site value. But I do see some people contesting and getting taxes lowered.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    8y
    @Anthony Wick yes the properties I buy are always lower. I buy distressed properties. Usually really bad. I can see how it might not work in some areas. But if prices are that high I wouldn't buy there. Eventually the music is going to stop and someone will get stuck with out a chair
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    8y
    @David S. Wow. Sounds like a lot of corruption.
  • Lander, WY · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Frank WolterCan you provide me with the name of the attorney that you have used for this? I'll send you a message. Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.