GP investing in my own syndication with Solo 401(k)...

4 Replies

If I'm the GP putting together a syndication, is it possible for me to invest alongside investors on the LP side with a Solo 401K, but also create a separate entity on the GP side to receive the promote? Two separate entities and classes of investors. I'm trying to find a way to put "skin in the game" with my retirement capital, and for that to earn passive returns, but also receive the upside from being the active manager outside of that retirement envelope, if that makes sense ... because syndicating is going to be my full time job. I'm guessing it's not allowed, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Thanks in advance!

@Michael Schmidt

You should not do as you propose.  If you are acting as GP and have control of the entity that is running the project, then that entity is a disqualified party to your Solo 401(k).

You should invest in similar syndication projects where someone else is running the show.

Michael, as Brian noted you can’t invest in your own syndication. IRS rules are very clear on this, by investing your 401K you would receive indirect benefit personally, which is prohibited.

@Michael Schmidt

As others have mentioned, the rules that affect retirement account investments will prevent you from investing your Solo 401k into your own syndication. It's a good idea to check your intentions against these "prohibited transaction" rules before you make any investment with your plan.