Who pays for bed bug extermination in CA for a single family house?

Who pays for bed bug extermination in CA for a single family house?

Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 49 posts · 2 votes

Just getting ready to rent out a house and I am worried about bed bug horror stories and landlords' liability. If tenants complain of bed bugs, who's responsible for paying for extermination in California? I know for multi-unit buildings it's the landlord's responsibility but have read that for single family homes it may be the tenants'.

Thanks, all!

Dinah

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    you're correct Dina Harleth ..in my multifamilies, i always paid for exterminating service a few times a year..single families i treat differently..i pay for a spray before they move in, and then once a year after that..if they have any problems, it's up to them after that...here's the risk though...even if the tenants are to blame, and technically 'responsible', what happens when they get pissed and move? lesson learned..it's always the landlord's responsiblity unfortunately

  • Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 49 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    So, if tenants find bedbugs after they move in, it is their responsibility regardless? I hesitate to have the house fumigated prior to renting it bc I know it is so easy for tenants to bring bedbugs with them. If that situation occurred I'd rather fumigate AFTER those tenants moved out when I was 100% sure I had a problem in the first place.

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    14y

    There would be no need to fumigate prior to them moving in unless you already know there is a problem. You can do a google search about what to look for regarding bed bug infestation. They are easy to spot, once you know what to look for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.