So my question is focused towards Canadians invested in the USA.
My group and I are going to be getting into the US market, hopefully by this time next year x and we are looking for some answers about your legal entities.
Now, I understand there's a Tax treaty between the two countries, however, what we do not understand is what entities we, as foreign investors, need to have in place before we get into our first deal.
We are in BC, and are super hopefully some of you might have some contacts for x-border CPA's, or something of that sort. As well as any potential advice on your legal structures.
Accountant · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 753 votes
6y
@Jared Comeau
There are certain entities in the US that are not viewed as tax efficient for Canadian tax purposes. Yes the two countries have a tax treaty. You will want to discuss with a CPA the best entity vehicle for tax efficiencies, taking into account total capital you will be investing in the US, short and long term plans for those assets, etc. in addition, state tax issues should be discussed. Lastly, US estate tax issues need to be covered too. Definitely good to speak to a tax advisor who can assist. Good luck.
I live in Ottawa and invest in South Bend, IN. I'll pm you with some resources that can help you with tax questions and how to set yourself up to avoid the dreaded double taxation issues.