Investor · Philadelphia · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 16 votes
Please share any tips on how you found an experienced and highly motivated CPA. What are the qualities you look for in a CPA to determine if they are the right fit for your rental portfolio and goals? Would it be advisable for your CPA to operate in the same state/city as your properties?
I've used TurboTax in the past but I think it's time to get serious about ensuring my taxes are in order.
CPA & Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Harrison Lopes You should look for a CPA who specializes in real estate and, preferably, invests themselves. CPAs can work across state lines (we work with clients virtually across the country). There are a good amount of tax pros here on the forums and I believe most offer a free intro meeting (we do) - I would recommend speaking with a few to see if there's a good fit for you and your business.
CPA & Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Harrison Lopes You should look for a CPA who specializes in real estate and, preferably, invests themselves. CPAs can work across state lines (we work with clients virtually across the country). There are a good amount of tax pros here on the forums and I believe most offer a free intro meeting (we do) - I would recommend speaking with a few to see if there's a good fit for you and your business.
There are a couple of methods you can use to search for a CPA. 1) Attending a real estate networking event and asking for referrals 2) Post an ad on the biggerpocket's marketplace looking to connect with a CPA.
I would prioritize finding an accountant who specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. There are 20+ accountants on this message board who specialize in real estate taxation. Feel free to reach out to a couple and use the one you connect with the most.