High Arsenic Levels for Property Under Contract w/ Private Well

High Arsenic Levels for Property Under Contract w/ Private Well

Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 51 votes

I currently have an 8-unit, 16-bedroom apartment building under contract in New Hampshire. I am working through my 30-day due diligence period and it has been discovered that the private well that serves the property contains high arsenic levels at 0.022 mg/L, above the EPA standard of 0.010 mg/L. This is a common issue for well water in New Hampshire, but it is nonetheless one that needs to be addressed during my due diligence period.

There are a variety of water treatment systems that can filter out arsenic levels but, for an 8-unit structure's flow rate, it sounds like the options can get pricey, with $20K being very well in the realm of possibility. I am setting up quotes with vendors to get harder numbers. A conversation with the seller and a request for concessions would undoubtedly follow.

Question 1: Does anyone have experience with needing to purchase such a system? If so, what kind would you recommend and what is the approximate cost to your knowledge?

Question 2: While tenant safety absolutely comes first, does this arsenic problem necessarily need to be addressed with a treatment system? Do I have the option to instead notify current and future tenants about the arsenic levels, have them sign a disclosure/release form, and strongly advise that they drink only bottled water? Even if this is legal, would you recommend it from a business/leasing standpoint?

In short, what would you do in this situation?

0Reply
27 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NH · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Nicholas Gray

    We had high arsenic levels in my single family home here in NH. We decided not to do anything about it as we didn’t think it was super important. I believe we got quoted around 5k for “point of use” filters on our sinks in the house.

    What town is it in?

    Do you have an option to hook up to city water?

    If it were me I would look into your obligations as a landlord to fix it. If the seller was willing to fix it then great I’d do it otherwise I would have to seriously think about wanting to purchase the property or not. A well could also cost you money in other ways down the road as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.