How much in taxes will I pay if I sell????

How much in taxes will I pay if I sell????

Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 74 votes

Hey everyone. I have a tax question for you. I bought a property in 2013 for 375k. I might have to sell now instead of my original plan to do a 1031 exchange. It was appraised for 405k. I owe about 305k still. Assuming it sells for 405k in new jersey how much in taxes am i paying approximately? Appreciate any help

Nick

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael PlaksPro Member
Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y

@NIcholas Hamel

Nobody can answer your question without knowing your overall tax situation for this year, your property depreciation history and your tax returns for 2013-2018. Anywhere from $0 to $25k, depending on all these factors.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael PlaksPro Member
    Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @NIcholas Hamel

    Nobody can answer your question without knowing your overall tax situation for this year, your property depreciation history and your tax returns for 2013-2018. Anywhere from $0 to $25k, depending on all these factors.

  • Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    @Michael Plaks. O wow i didnt realize how in depth it was. Thank you for the help

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    5y

    Wait until we hear the results of the election before giving up all hope on the 1031. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @NIcholas Hamel

    @Michael Plaks is right - it is hard to determine what your tax will be. The only person who may give you a good guess would be your accountant.

    Some factors -

    What state do you live in/what state is the property located in?
    How much depreciation was taken on the property?
    What tax bracket are you in?
    What are the selling costs(if any)? $405k can turn into $380k after a 6% seller commission.
    etc

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.