CPA - Looking for a CPA who's creative and savvy

Baltimore, MarylandWantProfessionalsAccountant/CPA
Classifieds

CPA - Looking for a CPA who's creative and savvy

Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hi all,

I am looking for a CPA that is creative and easy to communicate with. I have tried doing my own taxes with Turbo Tax and I have also tried using a couple CPAs over the years but they have either been very hard to reach or they have charged me much more than they ever saved me. I'd love it if they are somewhat local so I can sit down with them face to face but that is not a requirement.

I have a small portfolio as I'm just starting out. One rental and another house hack (the basement is rented out as a separate unit). They both could potentially be turned into STR if it makes sense to do so.

Thanks all!

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA | Accepting New Clients · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 36 votes
2y
Quote from @Adam Sciupac:

Hi all,

I am looking for a CPA that is creative and easy to communicate with. I have tried doing my own taxes with Turbo Tax and I have also tried using a couple CPAs over the years but they have either been very hard to reach or they have charged me much more than they ever saved me. I'd love it if they are somewhat local so I can sit down with them face to face but that is not a requirement.

I have a small portfolio as I'm just starting out. One rental and another house hack (the basement is rented out as a separate unit). They both could potentially be turned into STR if it makes sense to do so.

Thanks all!

 @Adam Sciupac Location is not as important as is finding a tax advisor with niche experience for real estate investors. There are a number of competent tax professionals commenting on the forums here who work with clients in other states. If you consider opening up your search radius, pick a few and message them to see who will work best with you. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Noah BaconPro Member
    Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 826 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hi Adam!

    Have you tried looking at BiggerPockets Tax Partners?

    BiggerPockets can help you find an Investor-friendly CPA or Enrolled Agent to help you maximize your tax savings potential.

    Hope this helps, and please reach out with any questions you may have!

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Thanks @Noah Bacon! I found this link in a previous post but unfortunately it doesn't work anymore. It says the page can not be found.

  • CPA | Accepting New Clients · Member since 2022 · 62 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adam Sciupac:

    Hi all,

    I am looking for a CPA that is creative and easy to communicate with. I have tried doing my own taxes with Turbo Tax and I have also tried using a couple CPAs over the years but they have either been very hard to reach or they have charged me much more than they ever saved me. I'd love it if they are somewhat local so I can sit down with them face to face but that is not a requirement.

    I have a small portfolio as I'm just starting out. One rental and another house hack (the basement is rented out as a separate unit). They both could potentially be turned into STR if it makes sense to do so.

    Thanks all!

     @Adam Sciupac Location is not as important as is finding a tax advisor with niche experience for real estate investors. There are a number of competent tax professionals commenting on the forums here who work with clients in other states. If you consider opening up your search radius, pick a few and message them to see who will work best with you. Good luck!

  • Accountant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 552 votes
    2y

    Hey @Adam Sciupac, 

    To help you in your search: be sure to find an accountant who is willing to grow with you, and is not too high priced fee-wise. Not too low either, you don't want to go with someone who is just focused on price as this is a quality of a not-so-great accountant. Accountants are in such demand, that the best are not even accepting clients half the time.

    The other problem I see often with accountants on here is that they specialize in larger investors, and have really high prices when you as a smaller investor do not need all the bells and whistles.

    Another thing I see is folks thinking they need to have a tax professional in their state. We as a firm have investors working with us who have rental properties all over the US big and small. We are familiar with the strategies you have shown on your video as well :)

    Finding a real estate-focused tax professional and one who can help with advisory and grow with you would be my suggestion to focus your efforts on finding. Best of luck in your search!

  • Noah BaconPro Member
    Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 826 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Adam Sciupac:

    Thanks @Noah Bacon! I found this link in a previous post but unfortunately it doesn't work anymore. It says the page can not be found.


     My mistake Adam! I apologize for the confusion. I will keep you posted as soon as we have that link working again in the near future!

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    @Adam Sciupac - Unfortunately, I hear this complaint all too often from new clients. From this, I have developed my firm to accompany people like yourself and provide value for beginners. 

    I started out house hacking as well! Do you invest out of state? 

    The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Reach out to @Michael Plaks. 

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    The interesting thing about a house-hack is that it is a property that is both an investment property and a personal residence. There are unique taw laws that apply to each.

    If you have a STR that you self-manage, there are more options available to you for reducing your taxable wages. However, be mindful that I often find it that people are attracted to the tax refund that they will get but then potentially not realize that they are getting involved in a business that they may not have experience in.

    Best of luck to you in your choice.

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hi Nate!

    I do invest out of state. I have a property in Charlotte, NC and I live in Baltimore. House hacked the Charlotte property and now I'm house hacking in Baltimore!

    I'll reach out to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.