I’m looking to buy a small multifamily property in Cleveland and the surrounding areas (ideally a triplex or fourplex) that has solid cash-flow potential and room to add value through rehab or improvements.
I’d like to connect with a local real estate agent who understands investment properties and who has experience with small multifamily deals.
If you’ve worked with a great agent in this space (or if you are one), I’d really appreciate your recommendations. Off-market opportunities or value-add specialists would be a huge plus.
Hi there! If your main goal is strong cash flow and value-add potential, you might want to expand your search a bit beyond Cleveland proper. The Akron and Canton, Ohio markets are really attractive right now for single-family rentals. Here’s why:
Stronger cash flow: SFRs in Akron and Canton often outperform small multifamily in Cleveland because purchase prices are lower, but rents remain solid.
Easier property management: Managing a few single-family homes is typically simpler than managing a triplex or fourplex, especially if you’re starting out.
Value-add opportunities: Rehab costs are more predictable in these markets, and there’s often room to increase rent after cosmetic improvements.
Turnkey potential: There’s good inventory of turnkey homes or lightly rehabbed properties, so you can start generating cash flow quickly without taking on major rehab risk.
Happy to share more about what's worked for other investors.
I’m looking to buy a small multifamily property in Cleveland and the surrounding areas (ideally a triplex or fourplex) that has solid cash-flow potential and room to add value through rehab or improvements.
I’d like to connect with a local real estate agent who understands investment properties and who has experience with small multifamily deals.
If you’ve worked with a great agent in this space (or if you are one), I’d really appreciate your recommendations. Off-market opportunities or value-add specialists would be a huge plus.
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Nice target, Cristian! small multis can be a sweet spot since you get better cash flow than SFHs without diving into big commercial territory. I’ve seen a lot of investors find success focusing on properties with solid bones but that need cosmetic or light rehab with you get equity upside and stronger rents without overcomplicating things.
Have you started lining up your “core four” yet (lender, PM, contractor, agent)? That team makes all the difference when you’re looking at value-add deals. Just curious, are you leaning more toward turnkey with a little upside, or do you want something heavier on the rehab side? Happy to keep the conversation going!
Cristian, Cleveland can be a strong market for small multifamily if you’re targeting areas with stable rental demand and value-add potential. When you connect with an agent, make sure they not only understand duplex–fourplex underwriting but also have experience with investor-style rehabs and local contractor connections—that’s where the real upside is. I flip and invest in the Midwest, and having an investor-friendly agent who knows the difference between a “retail-ready” property and a “value-add” deal has made all the difference.
Hi there! If your main goal is strong cash flow and value-add potential, you might want to expand your search a bit beyond Cleveland proper. The Akron and Canton, Ohio markets are really attractive right now for single-family rentals. Here’s why:
Stronger cash flow: SFRs in Akron and Canton often outperform small multifamily in Cleveland because purchase prices are lower, but rents remain solid.
Easier property management: Managing a few single-family homes is typically simpler than managing a triplex or fourplex, especially if you’re starting out.
Value-add opportunities: Rehab costs are more predictable in these markets, and there’s often room to increase rent after cosmetic improvements.
Turnkey potential: There’s good inventory of turnkey homes or lightly rehabbed properties, so you can start generating cash flow quickly without taking on major rehab risk.
Happy to share more about what's worked for other investors.
Sounds like a great investment strategy in Cleveland, Christian! While I can’t directly connect you with an agent, I did want to share that at Choctaw RE Private Funding Consultant LLC, we work with investors like yourself to provide fast, flexible financing for small multifamily acquisitions and value-add projects.
If you do find the right property and need funding to move forward quickly, we’d be glad to explore how we can help.
I’m looking to buy a small multifamily property in Cleveland and the surrounding areas (ideally a triplex or fourplex) that has solid cash-flow potential and room to add value through rehab or improvements.
I’d like to connect with a local real estate agent who understands investment properties and who has experience with small multifamily deals.
If you’ve worked with a great agent in this space (or if you are one), I’d really appreciate your recommendations. Off-market opportunities or value-add specialists would be a huge plus.
Hi Cristian! Welcome to BP! Cleveland definitely has some opportunities with small multifamily if you’re looking for value-add potential—triplexes and fourplexes can still be found at price points that make sense, especially if you don’t mind a bit of rehab work to force appreciation. That said, I’d also suggest taking a look at Columbus, Ohio, since it’s one of the strongest markets in the state right now. The macro picture here is on fire—population and job growth are both strong, and major employers like Intel, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Honda, Nationwide, Microsoft, and LG are investing heavily in the area. Rental demand is high and you can still find properties in the $120K–180K range that hit the 1% rule and cash flow well, with plenty of appreciation upside. It’s also very landlord-friendly, which is a big plus for investors. I moved from Portland to Columbus in 2020 and have built a portfolio of 10+ rentals here, and I’ve seen a lot of out-of-state investors do the same successfully. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey @Cristian Veres! From my experience, Cleveland can be a solid market for small multifamily deals, especially if you’re focused on cash flow and value-add opportunities. I would recommend working with an agent who really understands investors, someone who knows the neighborhoods with strong rental demand, can help run the numbers on rehabs, and spot properties with upside. I have a big resource of off-market deals, and feel free to reach out if you want to tap into it or get guidance on finding triplexes and fourplexes with real cash-flow potential.
Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
1y
@Cristian Veres If I can help in any way, please let me know. I am a long time investor and agent in the market, as well as a builder. Some areas of the city/suburbs won't have the product that you are looking for, as they were never built there, but others will have many. You should be able to find them from the inner city, to solid suburbs, depending on your strategy.
I’m looking to buy a small multifamily property in Cleveland and the surrounding areas (ideally a triplex or fourplex) that has solid cash-flow potential and room to add value through rehab or improvements.
I’d like to connect with a local real estate agent who understands investment properties and who has experience with small multifamily deals.
If you’ve worked with a great agent in this space (or if you are one), I’d really appreciate your recommendations. Off-market opportunities or value-add specialists would be a huge plus.
Number 1 name in the Cleveland investor game is HoltonWise. Other Cleveland Investor Agents wanna be us while their mom's want to be with us. CLICK HERE to work with us.