Looking for Investor Friendly Agents in the DMV

Looking for Investor Friendly Agents in the DMV

New to Real Estate · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 13 votes

Hello all,

My name is Mitchel Johnson and I’m 23 and a recent college graduate, currently working full time as an Auditor.  I am planning to purchase my first investment property within the next 6 months or so. I’m looking for an agent who understands house-hacking and small residential investment strategies. Ideally, I’m targeting either a small multifamily (2–4 units) or a single-family home with a separate apartment/in-law suite that I could live in. I will likely be using an FHA loan, and my max budget is around $650K. I’ll be going through the process with my girlfriend and we’re serious and highly motivated.

If you’re an agent experienced with investors or know someone who is, please reach out. I’d love to connect and potentially work together!

1Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10mo
Quote from @Mitchel Johnson:

Hello all,

My name is Mitchel Johnson and I'm 23 and a recent college graduate, currently working full time as an Auditor. I am planning to purchase my first investment property within the next 6 months or so. I'm looking for an agent who understands house-hacking and small residential investment strategies. Ideally, I'm targeting either a small multifamily (2–4 units) or a single-family home with a separate apartment/in-law suite that I could live in. I will likely be using an FHA loan, and my max budget is around $650K. I'll be going through the process with my girlfriend and we're serious and highly motivated.

If you’re an agent experienced with investors or know someone who is, please reach out. I’d love to connect and potentially work together!

 have you connected with russell brazil? @Russell Brazil

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Mitchel Johnson:

    Hello all,

    My name is Mitchel Johnson and I'm 23 and a recent college graduate, currently working full time as an Auditor. I am planning to purchase my first investment property within the next 6 months or so. I'm looking for an agent who understands house-hacking and small residential investment strategies. Ideally, I'm targeting either a small multifamily (2–4 units) or a single-family home with a separate apartment/in-law suite that I could live in. I will likely be using an FHA loan, and my max budget is around $650K. I'll be going through the process with my girlfriend and we're serious and highly motivated.

    If you’re an agent experienced with investors or know someone who is, please reach out. I’d love to connect and potentially work together!

     have you connected with russell brazil? @Russell Brazil

    7e investments53 Reviews
    • New to Real Estate · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 13 votes
      10mo

      @Chris Seveney I have not, thanks for the reply. I will reach out to him!

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    10mo

    what part of DMV you are interested in ???

    • New to Real Estate · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 13 votes
      10mo

      @Ozzy Sirimsi Hey Ozzy, thanks for the reply. Im interested in Arlington, Fairfax, and Alexandria for Virginia.  Then I am open to DC as well.  I am honestly very flexible within these areas in what I am looking at, I currently work in Tysons a few days a week as Im hybrid so I would like for the commute to be within reason.  

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Mitchel Johnson:

      @Ozzy Sirimsi Hey Ozzy, thanks for the reply. Im interested in Arlington, Fairfax, and Alexandria for Virginia.  Then I am open to DC as well.  I am honestly very flexible within these areas in what I am looking at, I currently work in Tysons a few days a week as Im hybrid so I would like for the commute to be within reason.  

      Great areas. Expensive but doable. Don’t ignore the commute time even if only a couple of days a week. Buy in the best area you can and if needed renovations can increase equity. A solid neighborhood will assist with getting quality tenants, ease of resale, hopefully appreciation and definitely your QOL. I would recommend avoiding for the temptation of Midwest, multifamily section 8 which will be touted as amazing cash flow when in fact that scenario can be fraught with multiple problems. 

  • Investor · NH · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 21 votes
    10mo

    Hi Mitchel! Love to hear this. I would look for some local real estate meet ups. You'll find agents there. Try to target agents that own and are actively buying rentals! Most agents understand the concepts of house hacking but an agent that has done it can give you additional insights into what it's really like living in the house hack. Best of luck! 

  • Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2023 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    10mo

    Hi Mitchell, I'm not an agent, but this year I purchased a home in DC where I live in the English basement and Airbnb the upstairs house. At 5% down, the house roughly breaks even cash flow wise.

    Sounds like you're looking to potentially do something similar. Happy to let you know what's worked for me, and share some lessons learned on things that haven't worked so well.

    • New to Real Estate · Washington DC · Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 13 votes
      10mo

      @David Cherkowsky Hey David, thanks for the reply.  I would love to talk to you and hear your story and advice.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
    10mo

    @Mitchel Johnson

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Mitchel! Sounds like you’re motivated and ready to take action, which is key. While some markets are expensive, the Midwest has some fantastic opportunities for small multifamily and house-hacking strategies with lower entry costs, strong cash flow, and long-term appreciation. If you’re open to exploring off-market deals, you can get a lot more property for your money and build your portfolio faster.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey @Mitchel Johnson, I always recommend starting with a house hack when you're using FHA because it lets you learn the game while someone else helps pay the mortgage. From my experience, duplexes and triplexes tend to work best because the separation is cleaner and the income is more predictable, but a single-family with a legit rentable suite can still work if the layout actually supports privacy. It'd be smart to start running numbers now on different neighborhoods to see where the rents make sense. Focus on areas with strong rental demand and room to add value over time.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate539 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.