Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
Interested in following along with our most ambitious project ever (both online and in the real world)?
My wife and I are getting ready to tear-down and rebuild our personal residence, and we're documenting the entire process online. This includes live video streaming, time-lapse videos, detailed plans/specs, pictures, daily blog updates, budgets, schedules, contractor bids/invoices, and a whole lot more!
Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 5 votes
12y
This is pretty awesome!. I just checked out the cam and within a few seconds, saw a call drive-by and the cam quality was incredible. The frame rate had the car going by at real time speed. Therefore the demo should look pretty awesome! I'm going to mark my calendar (while on vacation @ Hilton Head Island) to make sure I catch the demo!
Although my start in REI is slow (still scaling back my lifestyle to get in a better position to invest), there is no doubt the generosity of your time spent sharing and documenting your experiences will help save me money hand over fist. A serious thank you from a small time newbie.
Good luck J and Carol -- Absolutely love TheScottPad!
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y
Looks like the front page (main page) was down much of the day. Given that's the most important page (it describes the project), that's a little embarrassing... :-)
Anyway, for anyone who wants to check it out, the main page is up again...
You're not really going to destroy your basement gun range are you?
Yes!
For those wondering (not sure if I mentioned it on the site), the existing house belonged to a gunsmith/metalsmith who used the concrete foundation walls for target practice for 30 years. When we cleaned out the basement, we found large pieces of pure lead (he made his own bullets) and bottles of chemicals I was scared to get too close to... :-)
Investor · Peachtree Corners, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
J,
in all seriousness I look forward to following your journey. I definitely appreciate all of the time you spend sharing your experience. I can't wait to see the finished results.
Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 5 votes
12y
This is pretty awesome!. I just checked out the cam and within a few seconds, saw a call drive-by and the cam quality was incredible. The frame rate had the car going by at real time speed. Therefore the demo should look pretty awesome! I'm going to mark my calendar (while on vacation @ Hilton Head Island) to make sure I catch the demo!
Although my start in REI is slow (still scaling back my lifestyle to get in a better position to invest), there is no doubt the generosity of your time spent sharing and documenting your experiences will help save me money hand over fist. A serious thank you from a small time newbie.
Good luck J and Carol -- Absolutely love TheScottPad!
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y
Didn't have much time for setup, so the angle isn't any good, but this is a first test video for our new time-lapse camera (nothing exciting...just capping off the sewer line)...
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
12y
You must be saving on construction costs with how fast those cats are moving in the video ! lol
Back when I was doing commercial land development I would see some set up a whole website for the project. Example they were tearing down a 40 year old shopping center and building a new Publix. You could watch the whole thing everyday on their website with a live webcam feed. It's amazing how much work is involved.
They just built a new Wal-mart here where I live. Had the whole Wal-mart complete from dirt to finished and open in 6 months. Also had the strip center built. Most use prefab internal structures that require minimal education from workers to do. The developers hire local work alongside with their own guys to say they are helping the community etc.
J what size house are you building?? How much more expensive is stuff up in Maryland?? I saw on flip show California a 2,000 sq ft 4 bed 2 bath house was selling for 750,000 ( craziness! ).
My brother in law here in GA just bought a 5,000 sq ft plus brick house. 5 bed and 2 bath up and full in law suite down in basement with kitchen for 265,000 in a good area. Bells Ferry next to Shiloh rd. House is built in late 1990's but in excellent shape as an engineer owned it.
J what size house are you building?? How much more expensive is stuff up in Maryland?? I saw on flip show California a 2,000 sq ft 4 bed 2 bath house was selling for 750,000 ( craziness! ).
My brother in law here in GA just bought a 5,000 sq ft plus brick house. 5 bed and 2 bath up and full in law suite down in basement with kitchen for 265,000 in a good area. Bells Ferry next to Shiloh rd. House is built in late 1990's but in excellent shape as an engineer owned it.
Atlanta real estate is still ridiculously cheap compared to much of the country...
We're building a 2-story with a basement (5 bed/3 bath) -- all three levels are 1333 sf, so the total square footage of finished+unfinished living space is 4000 sf, with the basement about half unfinished for storage and mechanicals. So, about 3400 sf finished, with an oversized two-car garage.
Here are building plans if you're interested:
http://www.thescottpad.com/plans-specs/
We'll be spending about $350K on the build (not including land), so that's about $90/sf, depending on how you define square footage (finished? unfinished? include garage?). In Atlanta, we are building for about $60/sf. There are several difference in construction though:
- We have a basement in this one, but haven't put basements in our Atlanta spec houses. That adds tremendous cost per sf.
- We are using some contractors who are a bit more turn-key, which results in higher prices
- Some of our finishes will be a bit nicer than what we have put in our spec houses
Overall, if you do an apples-to-apples comparison, I'd say that building costs up here are about 30% higher than Georgia.
My brother in law here in GA just bought a 5,000 sq ft plus brick house. 5 bed and 2 bath up and full in law suite down in basement with kitchen for 265,000 in a good area. Bells Ferry next to Shiloh rd. House is built in late 1990's but in excellent shape as an engineer owned it.
OMG something like this actually exists under $270K?? Around here you're talking 700k to $1 million, easy . . . sigh.