Should I take more time for less money?

Should I take more time for less money?

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Background to me: currently 22, a decent amount saved up (60k), and my goal is to own long hold rental real estate then eventually get into flips, airbnbs, and build a business around that. I’m in the position where I have to decide between two jobs, what would you do in my position?

Job 1: 70-90k over the next 3 years, than 100k or more after that, however this comes with 65-70hr work weeks. Construction job, with lots of travel time, it is union so I have good benefits but no pension.

Job 2: I would be returning to my old job, mostly a desk job making 40-45hrs a week. At this job I would be making 65-70k. Decent benefits as it’s a big company and gives the typical 401k match.

With my goal being to be an entrepreneur and own my own business I feel as tho I’d be able to use those 20hrs a week to focus on building what I truly want to do. However with the other job it’s more money, which would obviously help when it comes to down payments, etc, but with the hours I’m exhausted and feel like I have no time. Put in my position which path would you pick? Thank you very much for your time!

0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y

Don't tell us how much you'll make.  Tell us how much you'll keep. 

What's important is the gap- how much you save.   

High wages but long hours, travel?  No thanks. Unless maybe housing is provided and you can save 80% of your take home so you bust it for 2 years. 

What will be each living  situation?   At home?  Paying rent? High rent?

Focus on the gap so you can invest and get free. When I quit to go full-time REI years ago I only made $39k but my savings rate was high. I know people that make $300k but pay a lot of taxes and can't save a dollar.

Which situation helps you keep more?  That's what really matters. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · West Michigan · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 53 votes
    3y

    I vote for Job 2 - sounds like a solid income for a young person with not very many obligations and still gives you the time to pursue real estate on the side. If you have any interest in western Michigan as an investment area, let me know how I can help!

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Theodore Stettler - it boils down to what you feel is right for you. I would also think about which job can give you the most exposure to real estate while also getting paid. For example, if the office job is actively in real estate but still making less, then it may be worth it since now you're learning while on the job. 

    However, if that's not the case, the construction role might be better as you can be around other contractors, GC's, etc. that will likely already have a real estate network you can tap into. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    I would do the desk job. You need a social life at age 22! I would join a REI group or LL Association and take advantage of the networking and learning opportunities. All the best!

  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    What industry is your desk job in? Construction would be a great skill to have for flipping and BRRRR, that is a demanding schedule though.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    Sounds like you already know what to do...

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you all for the responses, like most of you my family/friends also say job 2. It’s just hard leaving a job that guarantees a good income. To answer some questions, neither job would really help with real estate, the one is an operations supervisor for a trucking company ( does teach leadership and shift/business running skills) . The other is a lightning protection company, so although it is construction it doesn’t teach me much more than I already know when it comes to basic home stuff, and it’s mostly commercial/union so not just typical gcs to connect with. Again thank you all for your time! 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 618 posts · 430 votes
    3y

    If it were me I'd look at it on an hourly rate basis. With Job 2 you'll also have an extra ~25hr a week to work on your REI and do extracurriculars and the 401k match is a big plus as well. And remember to enjoy your youth as well as your investing career in your 20s.

    Job 1 65-70hrs/week
    $70k = $19-20/hr   :   $100k = $27-$30/hr

    Job2 40-45hrs/week PLUS 401k match

    $65k = $30-$34/hr   :   $70k = $43-$48/hr 

  • Wendy PattonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2009 · 864 posts · 350 votes
    3y

    Yeah you know what to do ..... with the time you can make so much more with investing!

    Michigan Real Estate Investors535 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    “Earn with your mind, not your time.” -Naval Ravikant

  • Bryan MartinBusiness Member
    Accountant · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 189 posts · 100 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theodore Stettler:

    Background to me: currently 22, a decent amount saved up (60k), and my goal is to own long hold rental real estate then eventually get into flips, airbnbs, and build a business around that. I’m in the position where I have to decide between two jobs, what would you do in my position?

    Job 1: 70-90k over the next 3 years, than 100k or more after that, however this comes with 65-70hr work weeks. Construction job, with lots of travel time, it is union so I have good benefits but no pension.

    Job 2: I would be returning to my old job, mostly a desk job making 40-45hrs a week. At this job I would be making 65-70k. Decent benefits as it’s a big company and gives the typical 401k match.

    With my goal being to be an entrepreneur and own my own business I feel as tho I’d be able to use those 20hrs a week to focus on building what I truly want to do. However with the other job it’s more money, which would obviously help when it comes to down payments, etc, but with the hours I’m exhausted and feel like I have no time. Put in my position which path would you pick? Thank you very much for your time!


    I’m not as convinced as others that job 2 is the right job.  What does your earning potential look like in 5 years from job 2?   The extra money from job 1 can buy you properties quicker which gets you to financial freedom quicker.

    But, in the end, I’d make the decision on which job you enjoy more day to day.  The money difference does have an impact, but it’s not enough to keep you in a job that you don’t like.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I would quit both and go full time in real estate investing. 

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    Real estate investment can be incredibly profitable if done right - by carefully researching markets and maintaining diversified portfolios. It also requires minimal time commitment, allowing you to focus on other projects or hobbies while still earning money passively. The key to successfully earning with your mind is to stay informed about the market and make smart decisions based on calculated risks.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Don't tell us how much you'll make.  Tell us how much you'll keep. 

    What's important is the gap- how much you save.   

    High wages but long hours, travel?  No thanks. Unless maybe housing is provided and you can save 80% of your take home so you bust it for 2 years. 

    What will be each living  situation?   At home?  Paying rent? High rent?

    Focus on the gap so you can invest and get free. When I quit to go full-time REI years ago I only made $39k but my savings rate was high. I know people that make $300k but pay a lot of taxes and can't save a dollar.

    Which situation helps you keep more?  That's what really matters. 

  • Devin JamesPro Member
    Developer · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 502 posts · 306 votes
    3y

    Hey Theodore Stettler,

    I think Steve Vaughan made some great points.

    Especially "Don't tell us how much you'll make. Tell us how much you'll keep."

    I vote job #2, but focus on keeping your expenses low.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 591 posts · 695 votes
    3y

    ...I'm not sure how anyone would have much energy left after a 65-70 hour workweek, let alone a 65-70hr work week doing construction....

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

    Don't tell us how much you'll make.  Tell us how much you'll keep. 

    What's important is the gap- how much you save.   

    High wages but long hours, travel?  No thanks. Unless maybe housing is provided and you can save 80% of your take home so you bust it for 2 years. 

    What will be each living  situation?   At home?  Paying rent? High rent?

    Focus on the gap so you can invest and get free. When I quit to go full-time REI years ago I only made $39k but my savings rate was high. I know people that make $300k but pay a lot of taxes and can't save a dollar.

    Which situation helps you keep more?  That's what really matters. 


     Definitely will keep my expenses to a minimum with either job, currently live at home but trying to get a house hacking deal as we speak. With that being said theoretically I would save more if I make more but with both I will save a large portion of my income. Again thank you all for your time, reading everyone’s opinions truly helps! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 203 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Thomas:

    Real estate investment can be incredibly profitable if done right - by carefully researching markets and maintaining diversified portfolios. It also requires minimal time commitment, allowing you to focus on other projects or hobbies while still earning money passively. The key to successfully earning with your mind is to stay informed about the market and make smart decisions based on calculated risks.


    How many virtual assistants did you hire? You post the same generic paragraphs on every post. 

  • Wholesaler · usa · Member since 2021 · 221 posts · 67 votes
    3y

    Hi Theodore, I suggest job 2. The objective is to leverage both time and money. You can use the time you save in this option to learn/ gain experience, adding value to others in the industry. If your investment opportunities are solid enough, you can leverage OPM 'other people's money' to fund the deal. I hope this helps. Congratulations on your pursuit of real estate. All the best, Theodore. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Denver CO · Member since 2019 · 209 posts · 332 votes
    3y

    Option 2.  Great points above.  

    Another angle to think about is who says it needs to take 40-45 hrs every week? If you can produce the same output in 35 hrs a week you have additional time back to pursue REI. In addition, it would likely help your mortgage qualification if you have a longer history there and if it's a large company.

    One thing to keep in mind with excessive travel is that it has a cost. Poor nutrition, inconsistent sleep schedule, less time for local relationships, lack of fitness routine, etc...Usually none of these carry an immediate direct cost but give it time and they'll all eventually have a negative impact to your bottom line and some of the damages can never be recovered.

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    Everyone is different but if it were me at your age I would take the higher pay construction job at least for a few years. More bankable, can save more and learning construction trades will be huge not only as you can do some work yourself but you will be skilled enough as to not get the wool pulled over your eyes if you start doing flips or BRRR properties. Also, you will make good connections in the trades and know some of the big players in the area who are doing the projects which could be huge.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Job 1: Your 20s is for working your a$$ off, living below your means, delaying gratification, and thinking long term. Before you start collecting dogs, kids, and commitments, be tired for a few years and forget about balance. Don't take a job if you hate it and it makes you miserable, but if all else is equal in these two situations, take the higher paying gig. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    JOB 1! Make as much cash as possible. Invest it all in RE. Get wealthy. Leave that job. Keep buying !

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    If you do Job 1, make a ton of $$ really quick and then go to a job like #2. You will need time when you really get into Real Estate.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theodore Stettler:

    Background to me: currently 22, a decent amount saved up (60k), and my goal is to own long hold rental real estate then eventually get into flips, airbnbs, and build a business around that. I’m in the position where I have to decide between two jobs, what would you do in my position?

    Job 1: 70-90k over the next 3 years, than 100k or more after that, however this comes with 65-70hr work weeks. Construction job, with lots of travel time, it is union so I have good benefits but no pension.

    Job 2: I would be returning to my old job, mostly a desk job making 40-45hrs a week. At this job I would be making 65-70k. Decent benefits as it’s a big company and gives the typical 401k match.

    With my goal being to be an entrepreneur and own my own business I feel as tho I’d be able to use those 20hrs a week to focus on building what I truly want to do. However with the other job it’s more money, which would obviously help when it comes to down payments, etc, but with the hours I’m exhausted and feel like I have no time. Put in my position which path would you pick? Thank you very much for your time!


     Take job #1 and live below your means.  Sweat equity is great, but you will need Capital if you want to be an Entrepreneur.  Once you build up Capital you can add the sweat equity.  Once you have saved up money you can go use your seed Capital to start a business, or you can find a job that will require less hours and allocate time to your side business. 

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Theodore Stettler- definitely job 2 if you have plans that  lie  outside of your " day job"- best of luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.