Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Don SpaffordPro Member
Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 935 posts · 629 votes

I searched for Velocity Banking but did not get anything to return except for some lenders using that name. I just was introduced to this strategy this week and was curious if anyone has done it and what their experience with it was.

If yuo don't know, the basic concept is to use a line of credit from the bank and use it like a checking account so you put yout income into it but get a LOC for like $10k, add in your income for that month, and use the $10k to pay the principal, and then pay your other expenses from that account and as long as you are spending less than what is going in, you build that LOC back up again so you are able to pay back the $10k LOC and then use it again to pay toward the principal. So if you save $1k each month, then every 10 months you can use it again or get an increased LOC and use a larger amount. Doing this strategy gets a 30 yr loan paid off in about 7 years and saved tons of interest. The LOC calculates interest on an average daily balance, so as you have money going into it each month, you are creating less of an amount to charge interest for. So over the course of a year, for that $10k LOC, assuming $4k income and $3k expenses, for a $250k mortgage at 5.25%, you pay about $13k in interest on the mortgage payments (first year of mortgage) vs only a few hundred dollars on the LOC.

The only down-side I can see is opportunity cost. That money that you are saving each month could be deployed to purchase other properties rather than helping to pay off any specific loan. But if you have enough other sources of income and strictly use the rental income for any given property to put back into its own LOC, then theoretically, you can have full 100% cash flowing properties in 7-8 years, depending on how much you are saving each month. You could even use it for your primary residence.

I just bought my first 4 plex this week, literally closed the same day I was shown this strategy, and it blew my mind. I want to use it with this property since it will be cash flowing about $700/mo and if I can get it paid off much sooner and save a lot of money in interest, that would be awesome.

10Reply
2,586 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 149 votes
9y

What you have to remember with this Velocity banking stuff is that it really isn't this golden goose brilliant idea that some people make it out to be. If it was, everyone would be doing it. It's also the reason why smart people can't understand what is so "brilliant" about it, because it isn't brilliant or that helpful. People advertise it as a way to pay off a mortgage in 7 years etc blah blah blah it all sounds good to the ill informed or financial illiterate, but in all honesty, you could actually do that with any mortgage you want, you just have to be disciplined. The Velocity banking is more of a way to force you to diligently pay something off quickly. Another trick they like to talk about is how much interest it saves you, they typically show you how much interest you would pay over 30 years on a mortgage and take that entire interest amount as a % of the loan or house value, which is not a true % interest you are paying lol. And of course if you pay off a house in 7 years, you "save" a lot in interest, but you can do the same by paying off a mortgage in 7 years conventionally (albeit you would still pay a little more interest). This Velocity banking is more like one of those credit card hacking people where they have a slightly better rewards package on their credit card, sure they make a few bucks more, but the effort and time it takes to do it is not worth it to some people. Yes the method is probably slightly better than just using a conventional way of paying, but it's not absurdly better or genius. This is why it's so hard to try and understand why it's so much better, it's just not. Trust me, I'm a CPA and work in corporate finance and  I've sat through a demonstration on this.

You make a very good point about opportunity cost with the HELOC and it's a huge detractor from this method. Why would you seriously care to pay down a 4-5% mortgage quickly if you are an investor and can earn 8-20% on your money. I posed this same question to the person on stage in a 40 person presentation on Velocity method and the presenter gave some ridiculous response that didn't make any sense.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad idea or a scam, but rather not some crazy good thing. The benefit from a HELOC is that it allows you to front the payment for a month, which lowers the average amount you owe on your loan throughout the month, and thus the interest you pay is lower, whereas if you didn't have the HELOC, you would have to wait a month to see that decrease in interest. They then say to take that interest savings and put it against your mortgage again and keep doing that and you have it paid off in 7 years. Ok sure, why would I want to do that if my mortgage rate is 4.2% lol, why not take that savings and invest it. They target peoples emotions "pay off your mortgage in 7 years WOW!!!" when in reality it's probably not the smartest financial advice.

See this reply in the discussion

356 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Z.:

    @Brian Cardwell

    It's evident that LOTS of people come here with misconceptions about this topic.

    You say you are here to help. Which is more helpful?

    Simply saying "it works", and allowing those people to continue thinking the heloc is faster than paying the extra amount directly toward their mortgage?

    OR...

    Clearing up those misconceptions and letting them decide if the potential increased costs of the heloc are worth it to them?

    So I am pretty certain that I have said that  velocity banking is but one tool in paying down ones mortgage faster. I don't recall saying is was the best way.  I am pretty certain that when people have ask direct question about the process, I have answered directly. When people want to come on here and bash a process that works by saying it's a scam or whatever other negative adjective they choose the use, I have a problem with that. I try to reason with them. Then I give up and just say it works.If you don't like don't use it. I don't need to nor do I want to get into a pissing contests with someone.

    Of course paying money directly to your principle is more efficient. But velocity banking is  another option that can give some a level of confidence and comfort that is worth the small price one may pay. I believe people do it every day. Pay for comfort over efficiency.

    So I say to be most helpful. Put the information out there without being asinine. 

    Let not confuse the issue here. The OP wasnt about paying directly to the principle vs. velocity banking. It was about how velocity banking works. Period. 

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 257 votes
    7y

    You'll notice my responses are to people who come on this forum and knowingly or unknowingly spread misinformation, not to the OP. And for some reason that bugs you every time.

    The last one was regarding the bogus "in about 7 years" soundbite. That poster still hasn't provided any details as to the basis of that claim. He won't, because he is just repeating a soundbite that sells weekend seminars. When those types of unfounded claims are used on this forum, they should be called out.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Z.:

    You'll notice my responses are to people who come on this forum and knowingly or unknowingly spread misinformation, not to the OP. And for some reason that bugs you every time.

    The last one was regarding the bogus "in about 7 years" soundbite. That poster still hasn't provided any details as to the basis of that claim. He won't, because he is just repeating a soundbite that sells weekend seminars. When those types of unfounded claims are used on this forum, they should be called out.

     I agree that the bogus information should be challenged. You don't know that to be bogus. If  I came on here and said "in about 7 years" and you cried bogus, you would be wrong. It took me about 7 years to pay my mortgage off using this method. So I am not talking theory. I have actually done it. That is why it bugs me. When someone who obviously is an opponent of this method cries "BS" when I have used it to pay off my mortgage, I have a problem with it. So when I say it works, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it works. And I was doing it way before it became some internet craze.

    I don't have to be the smartest guy. I don't have to even know why or how it works. I am not saying I don't know how or why. What I am saying is in practice, it works.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 537 votes
    7y

    Everyone on this thread needs to read The Value of Debt in Building Wealth by Thomas J. Anderson and call it a day. 

  • Redding, CA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    After reading most of this thread and a few others about the Velocity Strategy.

    I've finally wrapped my mind around this.

    Does this strategy work? Yes, but here's why it works.

    I'll take a common example that's been shown a few times:

    You get a HELOC for $20k and take $10k out.

    You put this initial $10k down on your primary mortgage. It goes directly towards your loan paying off $10k in principle.

    You have $1k/mo in discretional income after paying all expenses. So it takes you 10 months to pay off this $10k. So you can repeat the process over and over again. You're effectively paying down $1k/mo in principle payments through the HELOC.

    If you take that same $1k/mo that goes to paying off the $10k chunks and instead put it directly into your mortgage you achieve a better result. You don't pay the HELOC's higher interest rate

    You can improve this pay-off result even further through bi-weekly payments of $500/mo instead of one time monthly payments of $1k.

    As far as having cash available every month? You can still get a HELOC and only use it when you need it. You don't need to flip flop between HELOC to mortgage. You can pay the $1k/mo to your mortgage directly and use the HELOC when/if needed.

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Dittemore:

    After reading most of this thread and a few others about the Velocity Strategy.

    I've finally wrapped my mind around this.

    Does this strategy work? Yes, but here's why it works.

    I'll take a common example that's been shown a few times:

    You get a HELOC for $20k and take $10k out.

    You put this initial $10k down on your primary mortgage. It goes directly towards your loan paying off $10k in principle.

    You have $1k/mo in discretional income after paying all expenses. So it takes you 10 months to pay off this $10k. So you can repeat the process over and over again. You're effectively paying down $1k/mo in principle payments through the HELOC.

    If you take that same $1k/mo that goes to paying off the $10k chunks and instead put it directly into your mortgage you achieve a better result. You don't pay the HELOC's higher interest rate

    You can improve this pay-off result even further through bi-weekly payments of $500/mo instead of one time monthly payments of $1k.

    As far as having cash available every month? You can still get a HELOC and only use it when you need it. You don't need to flip flop between HELOC to mortgage. You can pay the $1k/mo to your mortgage directly and use the HELOC when/if needed.

     Yup you got it. I actually agree with you. 

    For you know who: can you believe I said this^^

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark S.:

    Everyone on this thread needs to read The Value of Debt in Building Wealth by Thomas J. Anderson and call it a day. 

     Read it this morning. Thanks for the suggestion. 

  • Mesa, AZ · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    "Of course paying money directly to your principle is more efficient. But velocity banking is another option that can give some a level of confidence and comfort that is worth the small price one may pay. I believe people do it every day. Pay for comfort over efficiency."

    ^^^^^^ This is why I use Velocity banking, I have a 31K heloc I only use 15k for velocity banking (pay off mortgage, Cars) I still have 16K left for emergencies, the interest is cheap peace of mind to me. I pay off the 15K in 4 to 6 months and do it all over  again. I'm a disciplined fan of velocity banking.

    All the back and forth is nonsense, use it or don't use it, best of luck to you 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    For those interested in seeing how this works with your own financial info:

    The Renatus Velocity Banking app is now available in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. Be sure to check out all of the features and don't be shy about sharing it. The app is available in Spanish, if Spanish is selected as your phone language.

    The app does not store anything on your phone or in "the cloud". If you enter information, then close the app and re-open it, you will see that what you entered before was not saved.

    The app shows you the effect of accelerating your debt pay-down. By default, it uses the "debt snowball" method of starting with the lowest balance first. You can choose other methods. It shows the unaccelerated pay off as well as the accelerated pay off so you can see the value of doing it either way.

    The app is free and contains no advertising.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oak Hills, CA · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Much appreciated-!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charles Town, WV · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 43 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Dachtera:

    For those interested in seeing how this works with your own financial info:

    The Renatus Velocity Banking app is now available in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. Be sure to check out all of the features and don't be shy about sharing it. The app is available in Spanish, if Spanish is selected as your phone language.

    The app does not store anything on your phone or in "the cloud". If you enter information, then close the app and re-open it, you will see that what you entered before was not saved.

    The app shows you the effect of accelerating your debt pay-down. By default, it uses the "debt snowball" method of starting with the lowest balance first. You can choose other methods. It shows the unaccelerated pay off as well as the accelerated pay off so you can see the value of doing it either way.

    The app is free and contains no advertising.

    Actually, it says in the app: 

    "This App also collects your name, email and phone number for marketing purposes so you can learn more about Velocity Banking and Renatus, LLC's services."

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 257 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Grove - Thank you for checking out the app and sharing with the rest of us.

    @David Dachtera - You said the app doesn't store anything in "the cloud". Was this an oversight on your part?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Z.:

    @Kevin Grove - Thank you for checking out the app and sharing with the rest of us.

    @David Dachtera - You said the app doesn't store anything in "the cloud". Was this an oversight on your part?

    It's what I was told. The gathering of marketing information is probably to be expected by a marketing company. Your financial data is not stored anywhere.

  • Real Estate Agent · watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    It kind of sucks that you have to re-enter information every time you get in and out the app.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oak Hills, CA · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Software is available that you can use continually. I use it-it's impressive. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Yes I have used it...I thought it would be a great strategy...it's more work than you think.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Does anyone know if you can tie together several paid off properties so that you can have one large equity line? To clarify, if you had 4 rental properties at about £125k each (free and clear) could you then get a HELOC for something like $ 250/300k? It just seems neater than having to use several lines of credit to buy a £200k house.

  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    7y

    @Benjamin Harris Yes, you can - ask a commercial loan officer (not a residential one, they will tell you "nope") for the terms for a "assets based line of credit" or "portfolio line of credit". Ask at several banks as the terms can vary quite substantial. We got a 250K LOC based on two paid of rentals that we use to acquire other rentals with cash offers, rehab, lease, refinance into long term loans, repay the LOC and reuse.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Costin I. Thank you very much indeed. Exactly what I wanted to know.

  • Member since 2019 · 135 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    I'll look into this, it attracts my interest. 

  • Lake, MS · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    You've got to see the big picture and drill down into the details. Lets not miss the point of just how flexible a 1st lien HELOC is...

    1. Turn it into a high return savings account, earning as much as the interest rate saved on the HELOC. Think of it as a temporary storage area with full liquidity any time you need access to it. "A penny saved is a penny earned".

    2. Turn it into a high velocity home payoff instrument...reduce your payoff time (from 30 years to ~ 10 years with the cash flow alone). Put your cash flow right back into the HELOC and save yourself a boat load of interest costs and buy yourself 20 years of financial freedom. The HELOC is recast every single day, what does this mean to you? It means that as you pay down the balance on it, you increase your cash flow exactly in proportion to the daily interest reduction (try to do that with a mortgage). As you continue the paydown, you *continually increase your cash flow* until the point where you completely pay off the property which will be the maximum cash flow point. You shouldn't have to wait for 30 years to see any increase in cash flow...that's absolutely ridiculous! Go right now and open up the calculator's here on biggerpockets and what do you see in the analysis? At year 30 you see a huge jump in cash flow. You don't have to wait to receive the benefit of your own equity! Please tell me whether or not you can clearly see this.

    3. Turn it into an interest only loan...don't pay anything toward principal at all, just tread water. This is a good strategy in economic downturns as it allows you to maintain margins of solubility on your properties. Think of it as an insurance policy.

    4. Turn it into a reverse loan (think: reverse mortgage). If you've got an alligator property but just know its value will appreciate significantly following a downturn in the market and want to buy time...take out your interest payment from the HELOC to make the minimum payment on the HELOC! (No, really you can do this). This has the effect of adding your interest payment to your outstanding balance. Obviously you don't want to have to use this method but its there if you need it and after the economic storm ceases you can make up for it. This would be used for properties in very desirable locations that have huge appreciation considerations.

    5. Some HELOCS offer high LTV (loan to value) amounts (up to 90% LTV) and they don't have PMI to bite into your cash flow. So if you want to use a 10% down payment without reducing your cash flow, you might want to look into this option. I understand PMI (private mortgage insurance) is pretty much standard on mortgages with anything less than a 20% down. This means PMI will cost you anywhere between $100 to $300 per month in cash flow.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have some local reps around me that I refer business to if it doesn't fit my box.  I have never had an issue or negative feedback locally.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I agree with Brian. Its Math.

    mortgage 300,000.00 rate 5%
    HELOC 20k rate 11%

    Withdraw 10k from Heloc to pay 1st mortgage. 

    Now do the Math on the 1st mortgage 

    300,000 - 10k = 290,000 rate 5 %
    Payoff HELOC 10k with 11%

    Since 5% in 290,000 is way bigger than 11% in 10k definitely it works.

    Then if HELOC is paid off rinse and repeat




  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 88 posts · 74 votes
    5y

    Im a real estate investor (4 rentals) and own variable universal life (VUL) and indexed universal life (IUL) policies for about 1 year now. As such, I hope to provide a balanced view about VUL and IUL policies and how it relates to real estate, taxes, and long term wealth.

    "Whole life insurance policies" aka VUL/IULs, like real estate are long term assets and need to be viewed with an at least 30 year horizon. The premium expense is based on your age and health status - the young and healthy individuals will have lower premiums compared to older individuals with health conditions (i.e - diabetes, hypertension, etc) for the same 1 million dollar policy. When purchasing a VUL/IUL, you can minimally fund the policy (not recommended as the policy may lapse), target fund the policy (usually this is quoted by life insurance agents), and maximally fund the policy (recommended if you want to build a large tax free investment vehicle). For example, in a 1.5 Million IUL - minimally fund = $700/month, target fund = $900/month, max fund = $2800/month - there is a huge range from $700-$2800/month for your premiums.

    Based on your premiums, there are multiple fees:

    1. Cost of Insurance (COI) - As you get older, the COI goes up

    2. Per unit charges (PUC) - This is a flat fee that lasts 10 years

    3. Premium Expense Charge - 4% of your total premiums (i.e if put in 30k then charged $1200/year)

    4. Rider Charges- Typically have long term care riders which kicks in if you become disabled and unable to work (~$340/year)

    5. Monthly Policy Fee - ~$12/month

    6. Indexed Account Monthly Charge- 0.06% of index account value

    After you pay your premium, the money is divided into 2 buckets - one is used to pay all 6 fees listed above and the other is called your cash value bucket which gets invested into index funds (i.e - S&P500 or international index fund). Going back to the 1.5 Million dollar example above and let's say for convenience the total monthly fee of all 6 fees is $500/month. If you min fund the policy with $700/month, your cash value bucket will only have $200 ($700-500). If you max fund the policy with $2800/month, your cash value bucket will have $2300 ($2800-500) which gets invested into index funds. Most index funds average 7% growth over the long term.

    Indexed universal life insurance has a floor and ceiling. With a 0.75% floor, if the stock market goes down 10% in 1 year, the insurance company will still credit you 0.75% based on your cash value (this is better than what most banks offer for savings/checking accounts); however, with a 13% ceiling, if the stock market surges 30% in 1 year, you will be capped at 13%. Please keep in mind the S&P500 averages 7% growth per year which is within the ceiling and window.

    Variable universal life insurance has no floor and no ceiling so you will ride along with the market. VULs are considered more aggressive and should only be considered after you own an IUL.

    VUL/IULs provide "tax free" distributions via loans. The IRS cannot tax loans. For example, in years 1-10 of the policy, there is a 2.75% interest loan charge, but at the end of year, you will be credited 2%, for an effective 0.75% interest rate. For years 11+ of the policy, there is a 2.% interest loan charge, but at the end of the year, you will be credited 2%, for an effective 0% interest rate. This is where the infinite banking concept comes into play - imagine getting a tax free loan with 0.75% interest to invest in real estate with 10% cash on cash return which is a net gain of 9.25%.

    Lots of people (i.e - Dave Ramsey) hate life insurance due to high fees and advocate to buy term and invest the difference. This is true if you view life insurance with a <20 year view and minimally fund the policy; however, if you view life insurance with the perspective of >20 years and max fund the policy, that's when you will benefit the most. With max funded policies, the cash value bucket will grow on average 7% per year and eventually the 7% interest will be more than enough to cover all the 6 fees (PUC fee drops off after 10 years). Over the lifespan of a 30 year IUL/VUL, the average fee is about 1% which is around the same cost of most mutual funds. For example, if you average 7%/year with 1% in fees, you are netting 6%/year essentially.

    I have around 2 million in mortgage debt and have a 1.5 million IUL policy. Since I have a high income, I can manage my 2 million dollar debt, but if I were to suddenly pass away, my retired father would have to inherit my 2 million dollars in debt. To prevent him from selling off my assets, he would have a lump sum of 1.5 million to keep my assets afloat. If I were to become disable and unable to work, the IUL will allow early distributions of the death benefit to help me sustain my real estate. If nothing were to happen (ideal path) and the policy has been max funded for 20 years, I can have tax free distributions or can implement infinite banking to use the cash value within life insurance to buy more real estate if I want. Infinite banking only works if you have a large cash value which takes at least 20 years to build up.

    Lots of people like funding a traditional 401k because they believe they will be in a lower tax bracket in retirement; however, if you own rental real estate with a 30 year mortgage, by the time you retire, the mortgage will be completely paid off and you will lose lots of valuable tax deductions. For me personally, I imagine I will be making more when I'm 60 vs 30, so I'd rather get the taxes over with today and transition that money into a tax free vehicle. ROTH 401k/IRA are also tax free; however, the money is not very liquid unless you pay the 10% penalty. With an IUL, you can get the money within 3 days without a penalty.

    Lots of real estate investors refinance there paid off properties or high equity properties which is idle money and transition them into a max funded IUL to mobilize their money again. Imagine refinancing a property at 3% interest rate (revives your tax deductions) and transitioning the money into an IUL that charges a 1% fee but averages 7%. Since the money is in an IUL, it will be liquids vs in real estate which isn't as liquid. The value of your properties goes up or down regardless of how much equity you have, but if the equity can be mobilized to grow at 7% and become liquid, it may be advantageous. Once investors don't want to purchase anymore properties, the equity is deployed to life insurance.

    Lots of high net worth individuals use IUL/VUL to cover their estate taxes. If you are worth over 23.4 million and live in CA, anything in excess will be taxed at 40%. If you are worth 43.4 million, you will pay 40% tax on 20 million (8 million) to the IRS within 9 months. With IUL, it creates an immediate lump sum to help cover the estate tax.

    All in all, I own rentals, IUL, VUL, roth IRA, traditional IRA, and normal brokerage account. Life insurance isn't for everybody, but it is a valuable tool if used correctly and should be considered to complete the investing puzzle.

    For any questions or more specifics about my policy, please message me directly. I hope this opens some eyes. Thank you.

  • Jordan NorthrupPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Stafford, VA · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 23 votes
    2y

    I just came across the Velocity Banking concept a few days ago. For context, I have a high net worth, high W2 income, and a diversified investment portfolio in real estate, e-commerce, and another sector of industry. 

    My home is worth $650k and I owe $300,000 on it. If I take an 80% LTV 1st lien HELOC, that's a loan of $520k, which will be reduced by $300k to pay off my first mortgage.

    So now I have a "mortgage" of $300k. Then I switch my lifestyle in that all my monthly expenses (around $5k) go against the HELOC. All my W2 and business revenue go against the HELOC as well....I'm estimating it to be somewhere in the $18,000 - $22,0000 a month. Less expenses, that's a net of $13k-$18k principle reduction each month. And that doesn't take into account by using the available $300k in equity to buy more investments which produce more income which goes to more principal pay down.

    So again, I'm trying to see the downside here. What am I missing?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.