Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Has anyone ever used the Velocity Banking Strategy?

Don SpaffordPro Member
Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes

I searched for Velocity Banking but did not get anything to return except for some lenders using that name. I just was introduced to this strategy this week and was curious if anyone has done it and what their experience with it was.

If yuo don't know, the basic concept is to use a line of credit from the bank and use it like a checking account so you put yout income into it but get a LOC for like $10k, add in your income for that month, and use the $10k to pay the principal, and then pay your other expenses from that account and as long as you are spending less than what is going in, you build that LOC back up again so you are able to pay back the $10k LOC and then use it again to pay toward the principal. So if you save $1k each month, then every 10 months you can use it again or get an increased LOC and use a larger amount. Doing this strategy gets a 30 yr loan paid off in about 7 years and saved tons of interest. The LOC calculates interest on an average daily balance, so as you have money going into it each month, you are creating less of an amount to charge interest for. So over the course of a year, for that $10k LOC, assuming $4k income and $3k expenses, for a $250k mortgage at 5.25%, you pay about $13k in interest on the mortgage payments (first year of mortgage) vs only a few hundred dollars on the LOC.

The only down-side I can see is opportunity cost. That money that you are saving each month could be deployed to purchase other properties rather than helping to pay off any specific loan. But if you have enough other sources of income and strictly use the rental income for any given property to put back into its own LOC, then theoretically, you can have full 100% cash flowing properties in 7-8 years, depending on how much you are saving each month. You could even use it for your primary residence.

I just bought my first 4 plex this week, literally closed the same day I was shown this strategy, and it blew my mind. I want to use it with this property since it will be cash flowing about $700/mo and if I can get it paid off much sooner and save a lot of money in interest, that would be awesome.

10Reply
2,540 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 149 votes
9y

What you have to remember with this Velocity banking stuff is that it really isn't this golden goose brilliant idea that some people make it out to be. If it was, everyone would be doing it. It's also the reason why smart people can't understand what is so "brilliant" about it, because it isn't brilliant or that helpful. People advertise it as a way to pay off a mortgage in 7 years etc blah blah blah it all sounds good to the ill informed or financial illiterate, but in all honesty, you could actually do that with any mortgage you want, you just have to be disciplined. The Velocity banking is more of a way to force you to diligently pay something off quickly. Another trick they like to talk about is how much interest it saves you, they typically show you how much interest you would pay over 30 years on a mortgage and take that entire interest amount as a % of the loan or house value, which is not a true % interest you are paying lol. And of course if you pay off a house in 7 years, you "save" a lot in interest, but you can do the same by paying off a mortgage in 7 years conventionally (albeit you would still pay a little more interest). This Velocity banking is more like one of those credit card hacking people where they have a slightly better rewards package on their credit card, sure they make a few bucks more, but the effort and time it takes to do it is not worth it to some people. Yes the method is probably slightly better than just using a conventional way of paying, but it's not absurdly better or genius. This is why it's so hard to try and understand why it's so much better, it's just not. Trust me, I'm a CPA and work in corporate finance and  I've sat through a demonstration on this.

You make a very good point about opportunity cost with the HELOC and it's a huge detractor from this method. Why would you seriously care to pay down a 4-5% mortgage quickly if you are an investor and can earn 8-20% on your money. I posed this same question to the person on stage in a 40 person presentation on Velocity method and the presenter gave some ridiculous response that didn't make any sense.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad idea or a scam, but rather not some crazy good thing. The benefit from a HELOC is that it allows you to front the payment for a month, which lowers the average amount you owe on your loan throughout the month, and thus the interest you pay is lower, whereas if you didn't have the HELOC, you would have to wait a month to see that decrease in interest. They then say to take that interest savings and put it against your mortgage again and keep doing that and you have it paid off in 7 years. Ok sure, why would I want to do that if my mortgage rate is 4.2% lol, why not take that savings and invest it. They target peoples emotions "pay off your mortgage in 7 years WOW!!!" when in reality it's probably not the smartest financial advice.

See this reply in the discussion

356 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Andrew Ware,

    You may just be over-complicating something amazingly simple. The idea being employed is that you're paying more principal to reduce the total interest paid over time and shorten the payoff period. 

    It's really just that simple, as the spreadsheets illustrate.

  • Gardiner, ME · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 177 votes
    9y
    David Dachtera so if I'm over complicating it why bother with the heloc at all? I mean and not just make an extra principal payment with spare cash. Why are promoters (including in this thread) saying it's saving so much money? I suppose that should be self evident because promoters promote. It seems like it's saving money roughly equivalent to making extra payment toward the principal. I'm not arguing I'm just baffled why this is getting some press. It has to be something like timing payments so you are getting out of some interest for 50 days etc. Otherwise they would say just make extra payments.
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Andrew Ware,

    It's one option of many and has advantages others don't.

    Primarily, if the home owner has equity and income but low or no cash reserves, it allows them to start with the HELOC chunk, then pay it back, then repeat.

    Using the HELOC bolsters your credit profile by using it and paying back repeatedly.

    HELOC interest may be deductible.

    There may be others ...

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Ware. 

    When you use the extra money you may have, once you apply it to the principle the money is gone. (you dont have easy access). If you use the HELOC properly you will still have access to the extra money.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Renee Bridwell Thanks for adding some new information. I agree with you and do understand that this scenario is not making extra payments from your earned income. Like you said it is more of a mindset change on how to better utilize your income, as you are still essentially saving that extra $1k per month (sticking to the original example) by putting it back into the LOE and saving that amount back up each time to redeploy the full amount of the LOC. So yes, it totally makes sense to me. I see the point others are trying to make as well. it probably is not for everybody, for sure. But I still see it as something we should all get more educated on to be more prudent with how we pay interest. Thanks to everybody who has posted to this thread. I never expected it to go on as much as it has already. This is truly amazing.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Ware What @Brian Cardwell said is true but in addition, the reason for doing it this way in large chunks rather than just making an extra $700 or whatever payment each month is that it pushes you much farther ahead in your payment schedule so that each subsequent normal monthly payment is paying more towards the principal and less in interest. if you just make an extra payment here and there, it helps you pay it off sooner, but doesn't save you very much  in interest.

    I found the company that teaches this, there is a short video on their home page, the velocity banking section starts at about 19 minutes in. it may be worth watching to understand it a bit more. I am not promoting their company or anything they do, I have no affiliation with them. If the link works, it is here :

    https://www.nreigrp.com/velocity-banking-strategy-2/

    if not just do a search for velocity banking strategy and find the one from NREIG. Of course the video is a sales pitch for their service to teach you more in depth how to do this but the basic presentation here is still pretty good.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2017 · 182 posts · 198 votes
    9y

    Use this weird trick to pay off any mortgage faster..... Make bigger payments than required! Presto your loan is paid off faster. Now all you folks out there using this method... You are violating my business method patent on this weird trick. You therefore owe me 1% of any payments you make in this fashion as a license fee.

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Renee Bridwell

    I am trying to pay off my car fast. How I can use this strategy to payoff my car fast?

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Hardeep Singh It works the same as the mortgage strategy, just on a smaller scale. @Renee Bridwell can probably explain it much better, but think about this. With any loan payment, you are paying almost all interest in the first half of your payments. 4 yr loan, the first 2 years are like 95% interest and very little going toward principal. So if you have say a $10k loan and use that LOC for maybe $1-2k, pay that at the beginning of your loan toward the principal, then that jumps you way ahead in your payment schedule so that when you make your next monthly payment, you are now paying maybe 60-85% toward the principal so it gets paid down sooner. And your LOC you deposit your normal paychecks into that acct and make your normal other living expenses from it like you would your checking acct and the LOC gets built back up so you are paying very little interest on that amount you "borrowed" from it. This is one of those things that are simple but complicated, like many have said it is all about a mind shift on our way of thinking about finances.

    Again, thanks to all who have contributed thus far, i never expected it to go on as much as it has and I am grateful. I know I have learned a lot and others have too. or at least have caused them to think a bit differently on it.

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Don Spafford 

    Great. I appreciate for your response. I have another rookie question about the process.

    So, I guess my first step is to go to a local bank and get a LOC account. For example, if my line of credit is $3000 then pay that towards the principal payment for the car and start depositing money into that LOC account. Isn't the interest for using that LOC will close to the Interest the car dealership charging me on the loan?

    I already bought my car and want to pay off the loan fast. I have about $14,000 loan on it. Do I have to refinance the car first to pay the money from my LOC account towards principal. How should I go about it?

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Hardeep Singh The idea behind the LOC is to not pay as much interest if it is done properly. Again, I am no expert and have never done it this way, I am just sharing what I learned about it. The assumption is that you are saving a good amount of money each month from your earnings vs expenses. So, you open a LOC, but don't take anything from it just yet. When you get your paychecks or whatever money you earn, instead of putting it in your checking or savings account, put it into the LOC account. You will then use the LOC acct like a checking account. So, now you have a LOC of $3k plus you added in a check say for $2k, now it is up to $5k. You then take out $3k to pay toward your car principal. Your LOC is now only down $1k that you will pay interest on. But as you get paid again you add it to the account and make your other normal monthly expenses from it like you did with your checking account. That way the LOC balance is constantly fluctuating and should never get to 0 so that you are not paying interest on the full amount and basically you are constantly paying it back as well so that you are building credit at the same time. And then the principal on the loan gets paid down quicker as well. Like I said though, it takes a big change in our normal way of thinking about loans and such. Once you can grasp the concept it makes complete sense. The big question is if you are able to do it. Since most people don't or can't save money each month, it may not be a good solution. I will be testing it out myself very soon. I am taking out a small car loan and a LOC to test it and see how it goes. If it does work well I want to implement it into my mortgages as well. Again, I am no expert in this, which is why I started this thread to find out more and ask other BP members who have done it and are much more familiar with how it is to be done properly.

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Don Spafford 

    Great Information Don

    I definitely have the mindset and have the ability to save, just want to be sure on the process. 

    So from the example you gave above, when you are 1k down to pay interest on your LOC account. Then, you can add another 2.5k in your account bringing your account to 4.5k. Use $500 for expenses then use another 2k towards your car principal and you back 1k down. So, you are using 1k every month to paying your car principal down (assuming you can deposit 2.5k every month). Can you check if my math is right?

    Do you know if you can pay towards your car loan principal every month an extra payment?

    I tried to apply this concept a while ago and i could not able to save, however, I am going to try it again with better understanding of how much I need to save and deposit. 

    Thank you for your time to help on this concept.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Hardeep Singh Yes, that's the basic concept. Your math looks to be a bit off, where you say you are at 4.5k, then use $500, (puts you at $4k) then use $2k for the principal (then you are down $2k not $1k as you stated). But essentially yes, you are just using some and paying it back each month with your savings, or maybe a longer term if you take out $2k but can only save $500 per month, it may take you a few months to get it back up, but that's why you plan to start with more than what the LOC level is. Don't get a $4k LOC and then use it all to bring it to 0, you first add more to it so it is above the level they gave you, then borrow from it. And yes, of course you can also add more to your principal each month as well. That will only help speed up the process even more. Then when you have it all paid off, that LOC is still there to use for other things such as rehabs or your mortgages, etc.

    I'm hoping other, more experienced, knowledgeable people will chime in to correct me or clarify more if needed.

    Let me know how it works out for you and share with others if it is successful for you. I will do the same.

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Don Spafford

    In math, the reason I say 1k down because the original LOC account is 3k. When you have 4k and you take 2k out from it, then you have 2k left in the LOC account and you pay interest on 1k only (3k-2k is 1k). Is that right?

    Make totally sense to let it grow first and then use small portion from your LOC account to pay off the mortgage or car payment.

    Great thanks for the time. I will give it a try and if I get some success I will share it.

    I heard some places give Personal LOC for 12 months on 0 interest.

    You can use 3 of them, taking out 2k from each for a year. you have 6k now Assuming you are saving $500/month. It will take 4 months to pay off 1st, and a year to pay off all 3 without paying any interest. Someone told me that. Is that make sense.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    @Hardeep Singh  Yes sorry, I was thinking $4k, but that is the amount I will be using. Sorry for the confusion. Yes you are correct.

  • Don SpaffordPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Idaho Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 629 votes
    9y

    That's interesting. Please share if you are aware of what places give the 0% LOC. I have not heard of that being possible since we recovered from the recession.

  • Investor · Meridian, ID · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Hardeep Singh I’ll get you some info. Depending on what your cash flow is depends on how fast you can pay that car loan off

  • Real Estate Agent · Sandy, UT · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    This Topic on "Velocity Banking" "Debt Sweeping" has hit top of the list as the most controversial way of paying off what most people consider as their biggest purchase.   

    Sure getting a new outlook on how you can save some big bucks can reach a "million ears" especially when servicing the debt and reducing risk/intrerest and having the home paid off in 7 years sounds great

    But does this so called Velocity Banking really change the whole Big Banking Institution?

    After attending an event in Sandy, Utah a group of Realestate Investors seeking Trainee  gives an insiders addition of what "The Wealthy Mindset" does and acts and  promises 2 things 

    1. You can have your home paid off in 7 years 

    2. How the "Education Package (20K)"becomes effectively free

    The Idea is taking Loans amortized (one directional) which = BAD and transferring it to a Line Simple(Revolving)= GOOD

    With the Guru's polished script " i look at many different models Income producing models, financial models, Victoria Secret models" and saying that loans are Amortized with front ended interest and transferring to a HELOC will knock out the hefty interest, like Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor, not to mention the dough that Floyd made for that knock out.

    Taking an average Americans salary of 5k a month and putting 600 in credit cards, 600 in car loans, 1000 in savings, 600 in misc, 1300 house payment you are left with an Noi of 5k - 4.1k  = 900 bucks 

    Putting that same scenario into your HELOC. You wipe out credit card debit and move savings straight the HELOC while putting any loan on top of that as well thus increasing cash flow while lowering interest.

    NOI 5k - 2.5k = 2.5k

    To the people outside of BiggerPockets this seems a little overwhelming but makes a little sense.

    What gets Expressed over and over is Cashflow = King   If you can put everything onto your HELOC or advance class your Credit cards with 0% interest making cash advances with a transfer fee of 3% you will not only have the same money coming you will use the Banks against them and pay the house off sooner. While this has some merit you can look at your cashflow without using any HELOC. And see that if you make 5k less expenses 2.5k = 2.5k you can attack it as well.

    My Conclusion 

    1. CashFlow = King

    2. Loans are one way meaning once you put money in you don't get it back and lines are revolving.

    3. Taking a step to look at ways of paying off your home faster (paying extra to principal) and paying less in interest is a step in right direction.

    This does seem to have an ongoing debate on what is the better approach but as for now it does NOT get rid of Big Banking Institutions and their Hefty Interest 

    P.s. If you can lower interest in any scenario maybe paying daily as well besides monthly to attack as much principle as possible is key.

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    This technique was presented to me as advantageous for those who have a bunch of cash on hand.  Whether it be reserves for investment properties, income, float, or security deposits, the key is to be paying interest on lower principal balances.

    Another way of looking at it is, let's say you get paid $10K from your regular job on the first day of the month.  Over the next 30 days, you spend all of that money.  However, this gives you an average daily balance of $5K if spent evenly throughout the period.

    With the HELOC strategy, this would mean that you are paying interest on $5K less in principal. If you continue making a regular payment based on the full amount, you will be amortizing the balance faster.

    Back when I looked at it, it only really made sense with a large amount of cash on hand relative to the loan balance.

    But like others have said, you forego fixed rates and opportunity costs (potentially) with this method.

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Don Spafford I believe the 0% can work for cars, not on mortgages as some institutions give you 0% for first 12 months. I came across one or 2 names but definitely  I can share if i came across again. 

  • Pinole, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @William Hochstedler

    Definitely makes sense. Thank you.

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y

    As landlords, we were looking for a REI group to learn about new laws, network with other landlords (possibly find someone to "babysit" our building while we travel), be witnesses when we served legal notices, etc.

    I attended at local REI group, that was supposed to be these thing, but turned into one massive get-rich-quick after buying our $17K program to teach you how to do this. We were not interested. We felt that the promoters were taking advantage of the poor (some elderly) schmucks in the audience.

    I paid off a house early. When interest rates dropped, we refinanced into a 15 year mortgage and paid an extra $50K into the loan. We then paid that off in 10 years, by making extra payments to the principal. No HELOC, no second mortgage needed. My credit is excellent, my net worth is better.

    This strategy may work -- but the promoters failed to teach about the increased risk.  Debt increases your fixed costs, and leverage increases risk.   Most families live month to month with little reserves.  Leverage yourself to the hilt and you better not lose your job, get sick, or have major car repairs. 

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    I agree with your second paragraph... they are smucks for charging  and taking advantage of folks.
    Congrats on paying your home off early. 
    If families are living month to month with very little reserves then they bought too much house or have over extended themselves in some other way. This method would not be good for them. 
    As for the families who do have some reserves, this method does NOT increase your debt and does NOT allow you to over leverage and absolutely does work when done properly.
  • Redwood City, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I have a small problem. My bank will not allow me to use my LOC for my Bill pay. How do I work around that?

  • Brian CardwellPro Member
    Investor · Odenton, MD · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 144 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have a small problem. My bank will not allow me to use my LOC for my Bill pay. How do I work around that?

    So you can handle this by transferring the money from the LOC to your checking account for your bills. Just make sure that you leave the excess in the HELOC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.