Where to stash cash for short term?

Where to stash cash for short term?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 45 votes

Howdy. I'm looking for recommendations on which vehicle I should use to stash some funds to be used at a later time. Let's say it's more than 10k but less than 200k. A friend suggested municipal bonds but I'm not sure I'm interested in that. My CPA recommended treasury bills. My intention is to keep these funds somewhere liquid so I can pull in 1-3 years for real estate purchases. Liquid is key. I'm waiting for the eventual correction fire sales. 

2Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

Ally savings account is 1.85%

pretty hard to beat compared to Tbills and perfectly liquid

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    My left pocket has plenty of room.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jesse M. I use AHP and my infinite banking

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks for all the replies. This thread gave me tons of opportunities for digging. If anyone's curious where I ended up, I'm taking half the funds and investing in treasury bills, specifically the 4 week maturity bills. I'll be scaling in every auction because the rates have been rising each auction and I want to play around a bit with the interface and get a feel for how it works. Once I get the hang of it, I'll grab bigger chunks. The other half of the funds will be used in more fun (read : risky) investments. Cheers. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 152 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    TBills have been a good investment lately.  With rising rates (especially last 3 days), cash is looking pretty damn good.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.