Should I work with a CPA for short term and long term rentals?

Should I work with a CPA for short term and long term rentals?

Sandy, OR · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Should I work with a CPA for short term and long term rentals? I am currently managing both myself and feel I am missing out on tax advantages or throwing money away. Does a good CPA help someone with single family rentals. What are a few things that a good CPA should be able to do?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Daniel HymanBusiness Member
CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

A CPA can be a tremendous asset. A good one can help with the following:

* Helping to organize a bookkeeping system to ensure no obvious deductions are falling through the cracks

* Providing guidance on entity selection

* Developing a tax strategy that is custom made

* Filing compliant tax returns

* Etc, etc, etc

          My Online Accountant572 Reviews
          See this reply in the discussion

          3 Replies

          Jump to latestLatest
          • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
            CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
            6y

            A CPA can be a tremendous asset. A good one can help with the following:

            * Helping to organize a bookkeeping system to ensure no obvious deductions are falling through the cracks

            * Providing guidance on entity selection

            * Developing a tax strategy that is custom made

            * Filing compliant tax returns

            * Etc, etc, etc

                    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
                  1. Rental Property Investor · Jefferson, GA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 145 votes
                    6y

                    Since one of the greatest benefits of owning rentals is the tax advantages, I would suggest hiring a professional to do your taxes, unless you are well-versed on the tax advantages and are a good bookkeeper. My CPA does my personal taxes and also on the LLC my rentals are in. Most of my rentals are single family homes. Writing off mortgage interest, depreciation, repairs, and other expenses (related to your rentals) are just a few of the basic things they should do.

                  2. Accountant · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 213 posts · 66 votes
                    6y
                    Originally posted by @Steve Dunford:

                    Should I work with a CPA for short term and long term rentals? I am currently managing both myself and feel I am missing out on tax advantages or throwing money away. Does a good CPA help someone with single family rentals. What are a few things that a good CPA should be able to do?

                    I work with lots of people for single family rentals. It's pretty rare that I get a return from someone who did it right on their own.

                    A good person to work with should be able to understand what your goals are, your situation, and make an action plan from that.

                  Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.