Mobile Notary/Loan Signing Agent (Side Hustle) - San Diego

Mobile Notary/Loan Signing Agent (Side Hustle) - San Diego

New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes

I wasn't sure which forum this question would be best suited for...but do any of you have experience with mobile loan signing agents? Lot's of courses out there claiming you can make 50-200/hr doing this (not including travel and associated expenses), but it seems like a pretty good side gig to make some extra cash for future REI ventures. I would be in the San Diego area, and was wondering what the market demand is for this, and if its over saturated or not. Here's a link to their article for more information: https://www.sidehustlenation.com/become-a-loan-signing-agent/

Side note: I would only plan to do around 10 hours/week max (couple signings a week)

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 41 votes
6y

Hi Jonathan,

I'm a mobile notary in LA county, but have done signings in Riverside and Orange Counties as well. It's my full-time thing, so there's definitely opportunity there. It's great as a side hustle or full-time if you're up for it.  I will say, though, that if you're doing it part-time you're less likely to get direct business (the higher paying signings), as most escrow officers won't work with you if you don't have a lot of availability /flexibility in your schedule. But it's still a good gig even if you're just doing signing service work. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Southern CA · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Hey Jonathan!

    I am in Riverside county, and I travel to SD county as well as a mobile notary. I think it's a great side gig. Demand is high especially in SD area. I used to work for a notary signing company assigning notaries to signing across the USA. SD is kind of tough to get a notary assigned since there's a lot of traffic, parking fees,  etc. I would say do it if you have the drive for it! Obviously, you have to market yourself and build connections with companies to really get the money flowing. If you are willing to work for it, it is great! 

  • Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 41 votes
    6y

    Hi Jonathan,

    I'm a mobile notary in LA county, but have done signings in Riverside and Orange Counties as well. It's my full-time thing, so there's definitely opportunity there. It's great as a side hustle or full-time if you're up for it.  I will say, though, that if you're doing it part-time you're less likely to get direct business (the higher paying signings), as most escrow officers won't work with you if you don't have a lot of availability /flexibility in your schedule. But it's still a good gig even if you're just doing signing service work. 

  • New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Cienna Cohen:

    Hey Jonathan!

    I am in Riverside county, and I travel to SD county as well as a mobile notary. I think it's a great side gig. Demand is high especially in SD area. I used to work for a notary signing company assigning notaries to signing across the USA. SD is kind of tough to get a notary assigned since there's a lot of traffic, parking fees,  etc. I would say do it if you have the drive for it! Obviously, you have to market yourself and build connections with companies to really get the money flowing. If you are willing to work for it, it is great! 

     Thanks Cienna! What have you found to be the average rate with loan signings in the area? And with factoring in travel, how much does that break down to the hour?

  • Specialist · Southern CA · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Sorry, don't get on here often. I would say a purchase/refinance goes for 100/125 for month end they may pay a bit more. Realistically you are looking at 100 per hour just starting out. Once you get more familiar title agencies will hire you direct and their average is about 150 a signing. 

    Say you make 100 a signing and you only want to do 10 hrs a month thats 1000$ extra. 

  • New to Real Estate · Cardiff By The Sea, CA · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 29 votes
    5y

    Hi Jonathon! Not sure if you're post is still relevant. I'm in San Diego too. I am a notary signing agent and I love it. There is plenty of work. If you did 10 signings a week, you could make $1000 which is $4000 per month. I'd be happy to give you some guidance

    Jamie

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hello, new here and excited to be a Loan Signing Agent, Jonathan I hope you decided to stay.  It is great!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    4y

    Hey BP family! Becoming a signing agent as a side hustle has been on my mind for a while but I have not taken action...yet. I work a full time job that doesn't allow me much flexibility during the normal work day. I was thinking that if I became a signing agent, I would open myself up to signings in the evenings and weekends. Does this sound feasible? @Cienna Cohen @Alison Wise @Jamie Henkin

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.