Debt to Income on Vacation Rental

Debt to Income on Vacation Rental

Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 4 votes

I recently sold a rental property that netted me a 6-figure profit. One of my considerations for my next investment was to purchase a vacation property that I would then list on airbnb and VRBO. I would make much more money doing so compared to renting it for the year and I already have a management company that could handle the property for me.

I told me mortgage broker about this and he said the only issue is debt-to-income. On my previous rental, I was cash-flowing quite nicely, so it decreased my debt to income if that's the right way to put it. In other words, I didn't have to worry about purchasing the next property. 

I'm currently in a position where I will need to sell my current primary in the next year or two and purchase a more expensive primary. Is my mortgage broker correct? And will purchasing an airbnb property hurt my ability to upgrade my primary home because of debt to income challenges?

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Pat Clancy:

    I recently sold a rental property that netted me a 6-figure profit. One of my considerations for my next investment was to purchase a vacation property that I would then list on airbnb and VRBO. I would make much more money doing so compared to renting it for the year and I already have a management company that could handle the property for me.

    I told me mortgage broker about this and he said the only issue is debt-to-income. On my previous rental, I was cash-flowing quite nicely, so it decreased my debt to income if that's the right way to put it. In other words, I didn't have to worry about purchasing the next property. 

    I'm currently in a position where I will need to sell my current primary in the next year or two and purchase a more expensive primary. Is my mortgage broker correct? And will purchasing an airbnb property hurt my ability to upgrade my primary home because of debt to income challenges?

    Not correct, in fact, a short term rental generates more income with same level of mortgage payments. It actually helps with the DTI.

    You lender should be able run your projected DTI if you give then your new purchase numbers. Or your can calculate your own DTI with any new numbers if you know how to.
     

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 66 votes
    5y

    I had this same conversation with my lender in 2019 when I was purchasing a second property and planning to STR the first. He was not able to count STR income towards our DTI ration since it is not guaranteed. We needed a signed lease with proof of the security deposit in order to close on the new property.

    In theory, you're right. An STR will cash flow way more than a regular long term rental. But lenders are still warming up to that it seems.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.