Calculating taxable income reductions into a deal?

Calculating taxable income reductions into a deal?

Property Manager · Oakland, CA · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 14 votes

Hi. One reason I am exploring investing in real estate rentals out of state (I’m in CA) is to offset realtor commissions. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it’s my understanding paper loses from a rental can reduce your overall taxable income.

My question is, do you use this while analyzing a deal? Would a deal that breaks even or has a slight negative cash flow make sense in this situation?

The true goal is gaining equity and appreciation. Cash flow is secondary, but I do want the investment self sustaining. I was just wondering if I should be looking into markets like Austin or Sacramento (where I could elimjnate the buyer side commission!)

Thanks!

1Reply
31 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris C.:

    Hi. One reason I am exploring investing in real estate rentals out of state (I’m in CA) is to offset realtor commissions. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it’s my understanding paper loses from a rental can reduce your overall taxable income.

    My question is, do you use this while analyzing a deal? Would a deal that breaks even or has a slight negative cash flow make sense in this situation?

    The true goal is gaining equity and appreciation. Cash flow is secondary, but I do want the investment self sustaining. I was just wondering if I should be looking into markets like Austin or Sacramento (where I could elimjnate the buyer side commission!)

    Thanks!

    People dont tend to factor in tax saving but we have clients who have collected/saved more than 5 years' worth of cash flow from first year tax saving because of real estate. Tax saving is not the only factor you should consider but it can definitely make a huge difference in your cash flow/investment strategy.  

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.