Hot water heater replacement estimate

Hot water heater replacement estimate

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes

I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


is this a reasonable quote?

5Reply
143 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

That  price is ridiculous. You neglected to mention the size but assuming it's a typical 50 gallon tank, that is less than $800. Figure another $800 for labor and other parts like expansion tank, and you should be done at $1600 or so. Keep shopping......

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 62 posts · 46 votes
    4y

    @Raju V. We just had to replace our working tank in our home last year. Insurance would not cover the house if the tank was older than x years. Otherwise I agree with you. Run it till it dies. But should be doing the annual maintenance on it and replacing the zinc rod.

  • Specialist · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2021 · 139 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    I need to go into the water heater replacement business.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Don Gouge:

    I need to go into the water heater replacement business.


     It's all fun and games until you have to put one in an attic......... :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, IL · Member since 2020 · 36 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone My plumber will install a 50 gallon water heater for a few hundred bucks, including haul away. Usually < $1k.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Barrett Boone:

    I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
    the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


    is this a reasonable quote?


     It's probably not actually from 1994.  Energy code as of 1994 is what they all say.  Keep it until it fails at that price.  Gimme a break. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 273 votes
    4y

    These prices make me glad I do my own water heaters. Last one I was all done for under 600$.. plus a slightly sore back. 

  • Specialist · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2021 · 139 posts · 146 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Gordon Starr:

    These prices make me glad I do my own water heaters. Last one I was all done for under 600$.. plus a slightly sore back. 


     Local guy sells new Rheem water heaters that have some shipping dents in them for $300. Drain wh while I have gone to get new one. Haul old one out and connect up new one and fill. Haul off old tank and be back home in less than 4 hours. Obviously some people don't care about wasting money.

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 159 votes
    4y

    I usually get three quotes and I usually go for the middle quote, not the cheapest and not the most expensive. You should also do your own research on each company that quotes you, check out their Google reviews. Good luck!

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone,

    We just replaced a 50-gallon hot water heater, and got a quote for $1600 a couple months ago.    Last year we replaced a gas hot water heater for $1500.     We normally have our plumber do it on the side, we pay the $700-800 materials, and he charges $300-- so I'd expect to pay $1100-2100, with the average being $1500 of what you should pay. 

    People will rip off anyone they can.  I had a quote for trash removal--first guy was $900, the next guy was $8,500.  I thought it was a typo until he gave  me a new quote of $5K a few hours later.    

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 97 posts · 96 votes
    4y
    Quote from @David P.:

    In Southern California I paid $950 for a new 50 gallon Rudd installed and hauled away. 

     If you paid only for a 50-gallon then you got the water for less than the cost. The cost for a 40-gallon at Home Depot is a little more than $800 plus 10% for sales tax = about $900. A 50-gallon is at least $900+ plus sales tax.

    I am a plumbing contractor and a 50-gallon with sales tax costs me no less than $1050 with sales tax even at a supply house. We charge $1850 for a 40-gallon and $2100 for a 50-gall water heater. So, $2400 is a little on the high side, but Home Depot charges no less than $2600 for a 40-gallon and no less than $3200 for a 40-gallon when installed by a Home Depot subcontractor.

    The prices I quoted are totally inaccurate because I am in California and California's laws require more-expensive water heaters with more smog crap on them. The water heaters for other states may cost $200 to $300 less making your $2400 price significantly higher.

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    You are smart to be proactive and replace the ‘94 wh.

    Last one I did was this past August. 50 gal electric and I paid a licensed plumber $1100.

  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    4y
    Quote from @George Azita:
    Quote from @David P.:

    In Southern California I paid $950 for a new 50 gallon Rudd installed and hauled away. 

     If you paid only for a 50-gallon then you got the water for less than the cost. The cost for a 40-gallon at Home Depot is a little more than $800 plus 10% for sales tax = about $900. A 50-gallon is at least $900+ plus sales tax.

    I am a plumbing contractor and a 50-gallon with sales tax costs me no less than $1050 with sales tax even at a supply house. We charge $1850 for a 40-gallon and $2100 for a 50-gall water heater. So, $2400 is a little on the high side, but Home Depot charges no less than $2600 for a 40-gallon and no less than $3200 for a 40-gallon when installed by a Home Depot subcontractor.

    The prices I quoted are totally inaccurate because I am in California and California's laws require more-expensive water heaters with more smog crap on them. The water heaters for other states may cost $200 to $300 less making your $2400 price significantly higher.


     Ya this was Feb 2021 prices so probalby less than they are now. The place i get them from only does water heaters and buys them in bulk. They are brand new out of the box with warranty so not a refurbished or scratch and dent. I been using them for years...found them on craigslist originally but now they got a yelp page with a good amount of good reviews now. I am pretty sure they raised their prices too.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac propane has Ethyl Mercaptan added to it so it can be smelled if there is a leak.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    What kind of water heater? Gas, elec, size, ect

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    These things are da bomb. Don't even need soldering skills.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Hallie, WI · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 144 votes
    4y

    These are great also.

  • Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    That seems high. I just got one replaced for $1300 but I’m probably in a different market. Also I get replacing while it’s easy but why mess with it if it’s working. It may last 5 more years. Who knows?😁😁

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    4y

    I paid $1200 for one installed in December 2021,  Chicago burbs.  Same guy does charge more for hauling down or up stairs, or for tight placement.  Most I ever paid him was $1600.  He is a licensed  plumber.

  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    That's a ripoff.

    I've replaced two units at my home, one of them last year, both 50 gallon electric, and I think I paid 1200-1400 each.

    The most expensive one I ever bought was 2200 and it was for one of my properties. It was a 50 gallon unit, but it was a specific model that produced hot water and also helped produce heat for the home. Only two companies make them, so there is a small monopoly and the price is jacked up.
  • Investor · Owasso, OK · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Barrett Boone:

    I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
    the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


    is this a reasonable quote?


  • Investor · Owasso, OK · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    I replaced a 50 Ga unit in the Tulsa area recently and the turn-key cost was $1800. I thought that as a bit high, but renter needed this fixed sooner rather than later and I prefer using a plumber that I know will do a good job and will be around and accountable if there are any issues after the work.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    You have been ripped off @Barrett Boone Just go online and google the model you have installed, it may come up for like $700, then figure a few hours of labor at @120 and a trip charge and $60 for permits. That's a reasonable price. 

    Frankly, I would go back and ask them for a refund.

  • Realtor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone I’ve never paid more than $500ish for a new hot water heater. Maybe another $200 for install.

  • Specialist · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2021 · 139 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    Sometimes I wonder how some people ever get a property to cash flow. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Holbrook, NY · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone I paid about $1,500 for parts and labor on Long Island

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.