Hot water heater replacement estimate

Hot water heater replacement estimate

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes

I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


is this a reasonable quote?

5Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

That  price is ridiculous. You neglected to mention the size but assuming it's a typical 50 gallon tank, that is less than $800. Figure another $800 for labor and other parts like expansion tank, and you should be done at $1600 or so. Keep shopping......

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone anyone quoting prices from more than 6 months ago is going to be low in most parts of the country. Parts, and in many cases labor, have gone up just like with most other things. And as others have said, there are variables such as size, type and location that impact cost. Someone saying ‘I paid x for a water heater last year’ is really not providing a lot of help. Get a couple estimates for a similar size tank and install and you will know what is reasonable in your area. And if a permit is required, get one. Protects you in the case of a sale and if there is a serious problem, especially with gas.

  • Eudith VacioPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
    4y

    LOL @Don Gouge

    I will always ask for the breakdown of materials and labor - I will even sometimes just purchase the materials myself and have the plumber install or ONLY charge me for labor. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone Hey, try Enoch heating and plumbing. They tend to have really good prices. I used them to do work on my Duplex in the Ft.Worth area. I'll also suggest getting at least 3 estimates from contractors.

  • Joe HammelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 614 posts · 666 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    If they’re reputable and that comes with necessary permits, I’d take it. Unless it’s a super easy job, It varies by the install.

    FIRE Realty Team - Keller Williams5379 Reviews
  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Up until recently, I paid $800. Now it's $1000 for 40gal gas.
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Barrett Boone -  We are here in Chicago and that would be a little bit high unless it's like a 75 Gal + size hot water heater.

    A typical 40 Gal hot water heater including installation would be $1000-1200.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.