Hot water heater replacement estimate

Hot water heater replacement estimate

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes

I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


is this a reasonable quote?

5Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

That  price is ridiculous. You neglected to mention the size but assuming it's a typical 50 gallon tank, that is less than $800. Figure another $800 for labor and other parts like expansion tank, and you should be done at $1600 or so. Keep shopping......

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I just paid that much but the context was I had the eyes of the city and gas company on my house with permits etc going on. If you want it done with a permit and by a licensed person it is probably that high. A general handyman can do it or you can DIY it and likely save 50%. I chose not to in my context, and it’s case by case to me. If you sell it in 5 years and it was done with a permit and by a licensed person there is some value there. Not sure how your area is with permits etc in my area it’s actually fairly relaxed… but again I chose to do it in my context.

  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    The price of the tank itself will vary significantly depending on size of the water heater, whether it is a commercial or residential model, gas or electric, and several other factors.   Installation can vary significantly as well, particularly if you are paying for emergency service. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    That  price is ridiculous. You neglected to mention the size but assuming it's a typical 50 gallon tank, that is less than $800. Figure another $800 for labor and other parts like expansion tank, and you should be done at $1600 or so. Keep shopping......

  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    4y

    In Southern California I paid $950 for a new 50 gallon Rudd installed and hauled away. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I just had a 40-gallon gas water heater installed last week for $1,630. That's about 50% higher than I was paying a couple years ago. A lot of the cost depends on difficuly of access, parts required, etc. If they can swap without having to reconfigure pipes, it may be cheaper.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 404 posts · 235 votes
    4y

    My price was from early 2021 so may have gone up a lot since.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    You're in luck- if you already have the hot water, it doesn't have to be heated!

    I kid, I kid. There are many factors that can influence the pricing, but we pay about $1200 to have a standard gas or electric tank water heater replaced. 

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Severna Park, MD · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    $2450 is high, it should be about 1/2 of that. Also I would not replace it if it's working fine. It could last a few more years. 

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    4y

    In Ft Worth...that is too high if we are talking residential.  It has been a few months, but we just had a 40-gallon gas unit installed in a hall closet in Farmers Branch for under $1,400.  Location, size, fuel, code requirements, etc will drive a variety of pricing, but I cannot see an additional $1k on top...

    Take your time and get some other estimates.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 844 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Barrett Boone:

    I just got a quote to replace my hot water heater for $2,450. Is this a reasonable price. It seems high to me. 
    the hot water heater is working fine, but it was made in 1994 and My current tenant is moving so I want to replace it during the transition time so it’s doesn’t become an issue when the new tenant is in


    is this a reasonable quote?


     Just had a 30 gallon replaced for $1,210 last month, including new gas valve and line. $912 Parts, $300 Labor.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y



    In San Diego our water heaters cost more due to environmental regulations that apply (ULN). Including tax the San Diego water heater is ~$200 more than where ULN is not required.

    Standard water heater in San Digo rentals is 40 gal gas.


    I replace water heaters too often, about one every couple of months. The lowest plumber rate I have received recently was $1600 for water heater, expansion tank, installation, and haul away. I have also recently paid $2K for same without the expansion tank but to also include raising the tank a few inches. A handyman installation is $1100 to $1300.  In CA a handyman cannot legally charge more than $500 for labor so $1300 is pushing the limit (likely just beyond the limit).  A decent handyman can replace a water heater.  There are few connections (gas, water in, water out) and the venting (venting is very important).

    $2400 seems a bit high considering that I suspect it is not ULN.  It does depend on some other factors (size of water heater, include expansion tank, replace the connections (new flex pipes), replace the shutoff valves (gas and incoming), gas or electric heater, installation of drain pan and if plumbed, etc.). 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dan H.:



     In CA a handyman cannot legally charge more than $500 for labor so $1300 is pushing the limit (likely just beyond the limit).  

    Actually the price includes labor and materials. So no work over $500 total and you cannot break the project into smaller portions (like many try to do :-)

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Barrett,

    If you are on Propane vs Nat Gas, a certified Propane guy should do the pipe hookups and leak test.

    Propane doesn't have the "Stink" added to it like Nat Gas...

    It might be required in your area, and is a CYA move if it's not.

    https://www.rrc.texas.gov/alternative-fuels/liquefied-petroleum-gas-propane/training/certifications-and-courses/

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Andy Webb:

    In Ft Worth...that is too high if we are talking residential.  It has been a few months, but we just had a 40-gallon gas unit installed in a hall closet in Farmers Branch for under $1,400.  Location, size, fuel, code requirements, etc will drive a variety of pricing, but I cannot see an additional $1k on top...

    Take your time and get some other estimate

    Thank you for the feedback! would you mind sharing the contractor you used? 

  • Member since 2021 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    Just to chime in, I've seen railcars maked "nonodorized propane" but at least in my area  (Ohio) it definitely has the mercaptan added before it goes to the consumer.

  • Alicia MarksPro Member
    Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I just had one installed last month and another one next week. I paid about half that.

  • Canton OH · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 39 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    I agree with most people here that it is high. For reference in Ohio I had to replace a gas water heater and labor was $600. The tank was covered 100% under warranty.

    I know prices for the product itself has gone up a lot in the last year or so.

  • Contractor · spring lake North Carolina · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone seem a little high what about hiring a handyman to install! In North Carolina would be between 700 to1200 including hot water and supplies need

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Don't forget you need a sediment trap and an expansion tank.....

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Seems high. I suggest you shop around. Good luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bowie, MD · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    I wouldn’t replace a working hot water heater. I have seen one from the 80s in a property and it still works fine. Wait for it to die.

  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    The difference between a water heater and a hot water heater.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/rn6NMvPMTcNzEVVw7

    McCaw Property Management4.4902 Reviews
  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 286 posts · 135 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    Where is it located in the house? Size? Did the plumber see location and size? I had a electric 50 gal replaced in the garage for $1050 in Houston last yr.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone In my area no permit is needed so I pay for the tank, my handyman arranges the purchase of the correct one then I call to pay for it, it varies depending on the property and the install with the plumber is usually around $400 unless there’s an unforeseen circumstance.

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 356 votes
    4y

    @Barrett Boone

    I applaud you for replacing it prior to leaking. You failed to mention a few important details. Gas or electric and if gas is it a power vented model. Obviously by the age of the water heater it’s gas. Electric would never last that long. You need to find out if it’s a power vented model or the actual cost of the hot water heater and let us know. You don’t need all the fancy features like WiFi capabilities and crap.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.