Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
So I have some of my properties that already come with the fridge so I leave them. I have one property I just finished rehabing that’s basically a $2000 a month rental. I did not put a fridge in it, but my Property Manager suggested I do. Oddly enough I had another Property Manager that manages some other rentals for me in another area that suggest I not put refrigerators in properties and said that the tenants do not take care of them. So basically I have two experts saying something totally different from one another. Lol
Do you put refrigerators in Your rentals and if so what kind do you get?
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
People expect major appliances and hardly any renters move around with their own fridge or stove. You also have to consider the increased risk of damage from moving appliances in/out, especially if it's anything with a water connection.
Yes, tenants damage appliances, but it's typically a broken shelf, door bar, or crisper drawer. You replace them, charge the tenant, and move on.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago & NWI · Member since 2015 · 860 posts · 521 votes
4y
I think it really depends on your local market. I bought a property in Indiana where its a C - D class and most tenants already had their fridges in place. I had bought a fridge thinking that's just what I do with my other rentals, but apparently its a thing in this area where most tenants buy their own and move it around with them.
Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2021 · 56 posts · 21 votes
4y
@Joe S. To answer the original question, we bought a fridge and put it in our rental (B-Neighborhood). We did sell a washer & dryer that came with the home when we purchased, but looking back and after discussing with my uncle, he tends to offer washer/dryer for an additional 50/month so we'll look into that for our next one.
Property Manager · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 19 votes
4y
@Joe S. I included all major appliances but due to a lot of repair and replacement costs, I'm considering putting an "as-is" clause in some of my leases. This would be highlighted and only on the properties typically rented by students who abuse the appliances more. My issues are usually with washer and dryer and not refrigerators. I don't know if we could get away with NOT including a fridge in our area (Richmond, VA).
Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 5 votes
4y
@Joe S. We provide fridge, microwave and in some higher end washer and dryers. We just add a fee internally knowing what we need to get to cover normal depreciation and also you can treat those appliances as such within your accounting too.
Investor · NY · Member since 2019 · 171 posts · 80 votes
4y
Fridge and oven should be included I would say, never seen a rental that didn't have that included. Depending on the class neighborhood you can just get away with finding something on Facebook marketplace, they are dirt cheap and in decent condition. I paid $250 for a GE oven, and it came with an 8-month warranty from the FB seller. As for microwave, washer, and dryer, I'd say those are dependent on the market/competition and proximity to laundromats.