So in the ground-floor of my property, I have washers and dryers, one set for the first-floor tenants and the other set for the second-floor tenants. The thing is, the first-floor and ground-floor electrical utilities are connected to each other, so if the second-floor tenants forget to turn off the basement lights after doing their laundry, the first-floor tenants will complain to me about how their electric bill went up.
How can I get the second-floor tenants to remember to turn off the lights in the basement without bringing up the first-floor tenant's electric bill?
Flipper/Rehabber · High Point, NC · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 183 votes
4y
Could you perhaps install motion activated lights that turn off with a timer? That way there's no thinking or action involved, the lights will only be on when someone's active in the room.
Developer · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 121 votes
4y
Wouldn't that also mean the first floor is paying the electric for the washer and dryer used by the 2nd floor? And what about the water? Is that on 1st floor's bill, too?
All you can really do is ask them, since they are on a lease and you can't raise their rent.
Maybe consider getting an electrician in there to separate the basement electric so that the light over their washer and dryer is their responsibility (and so are the utilities for their washer and dryer)
Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 200 posts · 77 votes
4y
Is there anywhere you can put a simple sign reminding them to turn off the lights before they leave (maybe the door on the way home)?
You can talk to the second-floor tenants too to remind them. Even if it's just from a purely practical viewpoint (the lights don't need to be on all the time), I don't see why they should have an issue with this. It's not a bad thing to be a little more energy-conscious! They don't need to know about it affecting the first-floor tenants' bill if you don't want them to.
Flipper/Rehabber · High Point, NC · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 183 votes
4y
Could you perhaps install motion activated lights that turn off with a timer? That way there's no thinking or action involved, the lights will only be on when someone's active in the room.
Could you perhaps install motion activated lights that turn off with a timer? That way there's no thinking or action involved, the lights will only be on when someone's active in the room.
Exactly both an occupancy or vacancy switch would suffice.
So in the ground-floor of my property, I have washers and dryers, one set for the first-floor tenants and the other set for the second-floor tenants. The thing is, the first-floor and ground-floor electrical utilities are connected to each other, so if the second-floor tenants forget to turn off the basement lights after doing their laundry, the first-floor tenants will complain to me about how their electric bill went up.
How can I get the second-floor tenants to remember to turn off the lights in the basement without bringing up the first-floor tenant's electric bill?
I had to do this with my teenage son who would always leave his bathroom light on. I installed a timer switch. He had to spin a dial to determine how long the lights would stay on. If he's just brushing his teeth he could spin it for a couple minutes and if he's taking a shower he could spin it for 30 minutes.
Could you perhaps install motion activated lights that turn off with a timer? That way there's no thinking or action involved, the lights will only be on when someone's active in the room.
If I do that, would I need an electrician to remove the light switches?
Could you perhaps install motion activated lights that turn off with a timer? That way there's no thinking or action involved, the lights will only be on when someone's active in the room.
If I do that, would I need an electrician to remove the light switches?
No, you replace the standard light switch in the box with a timer - same box.
Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
@Nicholas Jose you can buy switches that include the motion detector function. They're becoming more common, and many jurisdictions now require them by code for bathrooms etc. So a switch replacement is probably something you could handle if you wanted, otherwise it's maybe a half-hour (tops) for an electrician to do it.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y
I'd be hesitant to install timer switches in any area lacking enough light. What happens if the light turns off and the tenant tries to navigate their way out and trips and breaks their leg or hits their head and dies? You're getting sued!
I'd just change the bulbs to LED, which should make the usage cost pretty meaningless. You can also put a sign facing people leaving the area, reminding them to turn off the lights.
If after switching to LED you still feel bad for the tenant, buy them a bottle of laundry detergent to cover the cost of the electricity.
Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Personally, I would install LED bulbs, then calculate how much money it would cost to run that bulb 24/7. Give that tenant a rent credit every month for the $2-3 and then its not their electric anymore.
I'd be hesitant to install timer switches in any area lacking enough light. What happens if the light turns off and the tenant tries to navigate their way out and trips and breaks their leg or hits their head and dies? You're getting sued!
Personally, I would install LED bulbs, then calculate how much money it would cost to run that bulb 24/7. Give that tenant a rent credit every month for the $2-3 and then its not their electric anymore.
I'm liking your idea. Maybe just leave everything as-is, then when the first-floor tenant receives his electricity bill, he can forward it to me and I can reimburse him, say, 20%? Is that too much/little?
Personally, I would install LED bulbs, then calculate how much money it would cost to run that bulb 24/7. Give that tenant a rent credit every month for the $2-3 and then its not their electric anymore.
I'm liking your idea. Maybe just leave everything as-is, then when the first-floor tenant receives his electricity bill, he can forward it to me and I can reimburse him, say, 20%? Is that too much/little?
If you have four 9-watt led bulbs in the laundry room on 24 hours/day, they would use 25.92 kilowatt hours per month. At the average cost of electricity (13.75 cents/Kwh) that would be $3.56 per month. I would round it to $5 and call it good.
Personally, I would install LED bulbs, then calculate how much money it would cost to run that bulb 24/7. Give that tenant a rent credit every month for the $2-3 and then its not their electric anymore.
I'm liking your idea. Maybe just leave everything as-is, then when the first-floor tenant receives his electricity bill, he can forward it to me and I can reimburse him, say, 20%? Is that too much/little?
I seriously doubt that leaving a light on would cost 20% of the bill. Put an LED in. But is it just the lights that are on the panel for the first floor tenant or also the washer and dryer?
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 462 votes
4y
install either motion sensing lights or a switch that is a timer so instead of turning the light switch on they are turning the timer on for 5-10 minutes
Rental Property Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 191 votes
4y
Call an electrician and fix this issue. The tenant doesn't have to listen to you, the other tenant will complain, they will eventually move on and new tenants will move in and around you go again.
You need to value your time and your tenant's time. With these half-measures "you're stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime"
Dangit, I already told him I'd reimburse him 20% of the electricity bill every month. Well, at least I was able to raise his rent. Maybe in the next lease agreement, I'll add a clause that says I'll only pay for 10% of his utility bill (or maybe even less).
Kenosha, WI · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 19 votes
4y
@Nicholas Jose I literally just dealt with this issue myself, last month.
Change out the light switch for a motion sensing switch. Set it to turn itself off after 1 minute of no activity. The switch costs $20 at lowes, and will save you hundreds.