Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 167 votes
When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me.
When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me.
@Jill F. has given you some good advice. If you worry what kind of damage your property is going to receive every time you have to change tenants you will have a real short life as a landlord. I haven't had anyone purposely destroy a property but I have had damages in excess of the deposit. You repair and life goes on. Anything ridiculous gets turned in to insurance, and anything criminal - think concrete in toilets or cabinets torn off walls - goes to the police. In the future, make your tenants get and keep rental insurance, and that gives you another avenue for redress.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
You can't control what other people do. Give them notice and get them out. If they criminally damage your property, there's a decent change your insurance will cover the damage. Give 24 hour notice for maintenance or inspections (whatever your state requires). New furnace filters, smoke detector test, search for leaks, tell them whatever. I'd try to pick a time when they are least likely to be able to be home, and get some condition pictures. Then try not to lose sleep. You will get your place back then you'll be able to fix it up and move on.
When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me.
@Jill F. has given you some good advice. If you worry what kind of damage your property is going to receive every time you have to change tenants you will have a real short life as a landlord. I haven't had anyone purposely destroy a property but I have had damages in excess of the deposit. You repair and life goes on. Anything ridiculous gets turned in to insurance, and anything criminal - think concrete in toilets or cabinets torn off walls - goes to the police. In the future, make your tenants get and keep rental insurance, and that gives you another avenue for redress.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
4y
I agree with the others. Just stick with your process and don't worry about things that haven't yet happened. I manage around 400 rentals and have never had a disgruntled tenant destroy a property on the way out the door. I have had a couple knock a hole in the drywall or even kick a hole through a door, but it was less than a few hundred dollars worth of damages. It is extremely rare that they will trash it on the way out the door.
South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
4y
@Jane S.
In 21 years of investing I have never had an argument with a tenant. Even though many tenants have wanted to. I try my best to remain civil in all discourse even when they’re being irrational. I understand your concern, 90 days is a long time to deal with the energy of resentment from tenants (Illinois just increased lease non-renewal from 30 to 60 days). There’s nothing you can do to prevent a mentally compromised person from behaving mentally compromised in your property. But if you’ve maintained professionalism throughout their tenancy, I wouldn’t worry about extreme damage. It’s hasn’t happened to me…..yet.
Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
4y
Hey @Jane S. , I agree with the others in this chat. Going ahead with giving them the notice and waiting till they leave. Insurance should cover damage if they so happen to damage it.
When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me.
Be grateful you have paying tenants who are damaging you property and not squatters.
When I decide not to renew an expiring lease, I have to give the tenants 91 days notice? Thats plenty of time for them to wreck my property causing me a huge loss and heart attack. It’s a 12-month lease. They have many serious violations some of which they rectified others which they are arguing with me about. They have been lying and are devious. I don't know how to prevent them from destroying the premises. They want to stay 2 more years. The lease violations keep accumulating. Although the rent is paid timely. Is there no solution but to lose sleep and get sick over this? I know they hate me but act real friendly and happy to see me.
Be grateful you have paying tenants who are damaging you property and not squatters.
Ya if anything getting rent is the important part. Just be glad they are paying down your mortgage while your property is appreciating. If they were taking advantage and living for free I be more inclined to have sleepless nights. I have a tenant that broke numerous of rules ten versus five people, living in garage, 2 pitbulls but they are still paying rent and everytime I gone over the property still looks good inside and out. Less than ideal but in this business perfect tenants are like hitting the lotto.
Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
People like this always get what's coming to them. May not be with you but it happens over time. They are about to face a hot rental market with tough post-pandemic screening standards and if their prospective landlord is screening properly by reaching out to you, they will get a bad referral and have a tough time finding a place of choice and will be left with crappy locations where owners don't screen and take whatever they can get for residents.
Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 167 votes
4y
These are great answers. My screening starts with my rental ad where I don't allow animals which are a huge source of rental destruction. The initial contact requires them to complete the rental application and very few are able to do it, so they self-disqualify. The applicants who can complete the simple application will be invited to view the rental. It’s extremely time-consuming and demanding, but so far has produced class A+++ tenants. The one I’m worried about made the decision to put the junker truck in storage, so he read my mind. I was going to ask him to do that anyway. Now on to his next lease violation which is tracking grease into the house from his “hobby” of motorcycle repair. Yes guys, I understand, I need to let him have his garage full of distressed stuff. The next lease will forbid such use of the garage, yard, house, etc. I saw an apt in a 4plex with a motorcycle in parts in the living room on a nice carpet and no underlayment.
Since taking a picture costs nothing, there's no excuse for not taking 1000 pictures (with date) before a tenant moves in. Its a good idea to let them know it too. Most tenants are really good decent people, but a few psycho's can slip thru the process. If he truly wrecks the joint, call the police and file a report. Take loads of pics. He won't leave a forwarding address. Once he gets settled, go after him. If he forwards his mail, Mail a burner phone to the old address and track where it forwards to. Let us know how it turns out.
most responses have pretty much covered options you have. if security deposit covers those damages that's your first option or your insurance and if they damage property in bad ways you can take help of the law.
best course of action is get them leave your place sooner the better.
in rentals, you do come across one or two such examples. but you have to deal with it as peacefully n professionally as possible
I've had tenants do massive destruction, and they weren't even mad at me. They think they\re improving the place. Painting my natural brick fireplace. Painting my birch kitchen cabinets with house paint. A vegetable garden all dead, with 10 extra yards of dirt that had to be removed. Hardwood floors ruined from animal pee. Sigh.
Flipper/Rehabber · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 499 posts · 167 votes
4y
If only they would READ THEIR LEASE instead of whining about stuff they want to change. Home ownership is the only way they can do what they want. But of course no lender will underwrite them, which is why I get 5-6 junk mails trying to sell me refi’s or loans.