Need advice for finding tenants near train tracks

Need advice for finding tenants near train tracks

Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes

tldr: bought rental property sight unseen due to military orders and buying out of state. Realtor failed to mention that there were train tracks and a railroad crossing right behind the house. Found out after I closed and showed up to furnish the place. Strategy was to use it as a fully-furnished crashpad but may need to flex to rent-by-the-room or LTR.

Hey BP Family,

I recently purchased a rental property in San Antonio. I used a realtor I found on here to purchase the place. I was on military orders and unable to view the property so I ended up buying it sight unseen after my realtor did a walkthrough and helped me vet the place. The closing process was uneventful and after the holidays, I showed up to furnish the property. Driving up to the property, I noticed a railroad crossing near the neighborhood. I thought that was odd and that turned to horror as I realized the railroad tracks were right behind my property. 

Over the course of a few days I furnished the place and found that the train would blast it's horn multiple times throughout the day and night. I contacted my realtor asking why the tracks were never disclosed. I Google Mapped the distance and it was showing 0.8 miles. My realtor said that since it was about a mile away, he was not required to disclose since it doesn't materially affect the property. I realized I was measuring it inaccurately and as the crow flies, the tracks are actually 0.1 miles (~400 ft) from the property. Once I told him this, he said he didn't disclose it because it wasn't part of his checklist. He offered to pay to install soundproofing curtains if I bought them, but shortly ceased all communication with me after I took him up on his offer. 

I get it, due diligence, buyer beware, all that. Ultimately my responsibility but that is what realtors are there for. He literally drove to the property, passed the railroad crossing, saw/heard the train, yet failed to let me know.

I was luckily able to rent it out as a crashpad for a few months to people I knew, but they are moving out in May. They definitely let me know frequently about the train noise and I did everything I could to make their time there tolerable (white noise machines, Bose Sleepbuds, etc). 

They are moving out next month and I highly doubt I will be able to find/keep any quality tenants due to the train noise. My initial strategy was to use it as a crashpad but now open to renting by the room or LTR. I feel like my only saving grace was that I knew the people I rented it out to initially, not sure if it would have worked had I not known them.

Soundproofing beyond curtains, white noise, etc. is incredibly expensive and will not completely reduce the train horn. I reached out to the city to designate it a quiet zone but that process is lengthy and costly, and they said that conductors would still likely use the horn due to the location of the crossing. I reached out to a different realtor who said if I were to sell, top of the market would be around $295k. I'm all in currently for about that much with furnishings, repairs, and installing sod. If I were to sell, I'm guessing it would be about a $30k loss (fees etc).

My question is, what are my options for attracting quality tenants despite train noise? I know I will have to reduce rent and disclose the noise to all potential tenants. What do you all recommend? Would love some advice.

Thank you!

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

San Antonio market is solid and upward. Not sure why you bought furniture for a house you didn't plan to move in (short term rental?). If you used a VA loan it's a problem.

Two choices:

1. Get a great tenant with perfect credit who has poor hearing. 

2. Sell now. (forget what you paid for furnishings) List it for $303,000 see if it sells in thirty days. Sign listing agreement only for 45 days. Start advertising for tenants on day 30 then rent it on day 46 if you don't get a cash offer. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2015 · 626 posts · 495 votes
    4y

    Buying a property sight unseen is something that I personally would never be comfortable with for the inside.   You went on talking about what the realtor should have done, but what did you do?  Did you ask the realtor if there are train tracks?   Did you give strict parameters to the realtor?  

    There are plenty of free resources where you can virtually drive a neighborhood and see the surrounding area, so I cannot support blaming the realtor on this - and I am not a realtor.  I would say you probably owe the realtor an apology.  

    Surely all is not lost.  There must be other houses in the area that are either rented or owned.  How about talking to those people and see what they have done to mitigate the noise.  

    Do you have to disclose the train?   There is no secret that there are active train tracks.  I never seen a property next to the train tracks actually disclose it.  All the information was about how wonderful the house was and boom there were the tracks literally in the back yard.  

    I would check what the laws are and get the rental comps from a realtor that will talk to you. Perhaps with the housing demand you can sell and hopefully break even.  

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    I appreciate your thoughtful response. Like I said, ultimately the responsibility is on me as the buyer. But the realtor is a crucial part of the team, especially when acting as boots on the ground for an out of state investor. Definitely a lot of lessons learned for all involved. 

    The focus is on what I will do about it going forward. That is a good recommendation about talking to others in the neighborhood! I will definitely do that next time I’m down there. 

    As far as disclosing the noise, likely not required but my intent is not to have tenants move in and them finding out that night that the train blasts its horn so I plan to fully disclose before they apply. 

    Does anyone have any experience with a rental near noise concerns (airport, trains, etc)?

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    San Antonio market is solid and upward. Not sure why you bought furniture for a house you didn't plan to move in (short term rental?). If you used a VA loan it's a problem.

    Two choices:

    1. Get a great tenant with perfect credit who has poor hearing. 

    2. Sell now. (forget what you paid for furnishings) List it for $303,000 see if it sells in thirty days. Sign listing agreement only for 45 days. Start advertising for tenants on day 30 then rent it on day 46 if you don't get a cash offer. 

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    San Antonio market is solid and upward. Not sure why you bought furniture for a house you didn't plan to move in (short term rental?). If you used a VA loan it's a problem.

    Two choices:

    1. Get a great tenant with perfect credit who has poor hearing. 

    2. Sell now. (forget what you paid for furnishings) List it for $303,000 see if it sells in thirty days. Sign listing agreement only for 45 days. Start advertising for tenants on day 30 then rent it on day 46 if you don't get a cash offer. 

    Yes, fully furnished short term rental, conventional 20% down. 

    That’s a great idea, seeing if I can sell now and if unable, continue looking for tenants. I would lose a bit of money to fees but may be able to recoup some furniture costs. 

    Thank you!

  • Developer · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 176 posts · 81 votes
    4y

    So i've lived in a place as a tenant near the rail road. In San antonio itself actually. It's not that bad. It's not like the train comes every hour.. you can still make it a short term/mid term rental. Probably not to travel nurses but definitely to other professionals

    The first thing I would do is fire that agent. Knowing that you are out of state - they should know better than to just worry about their commission. They have a fiduciary. What brokerage is this again? 

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Naz Hossain:

    So i've lived in a place as a tenant near the rail road. In San antonio itself actually. It's not that bad. It's not like the train comes every hour.. you can still make it a short term/mid term rental. Probably not to travel nurses but definitely to other professionals

    The first thing I would do is fire that agent. Knowing that you are out of state - they should know better than to just worry about their commission. They have a fiduciary. What brokerage is this again? 

    Thanks for the insight Naz. Very helpful. When I stayed there it honestly did not bother me too much but I am a heavy sleeper. It was simply an annoyance during the day. I could see it being an issue for many others though, especially when there are many other crashpad options in the area that aren’t near a train. 

    I think I’ll do what Caroline recommended and list it this weekend. If it doesn’t sell within 30-45 days then I’ll continue looking for tenants and try again later. 

    Appreciate everyone’s help and recommendations!
  • Contractor · Canton, GA · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 81 votes
    4y

    @Paul K. As a student in college with 3 roommates, living next door to railroad tracks(as close as 200’ ) , it never bothered us. I found that this house was a bit under market , but we never complained about the noise. Heck, we used to crank up our stereo and rock on. College kids and kids in that range ( 19-28) are usually looking for a dependable place to crash, and to go to work or school. The train track will not be an issue.

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y
    Quote from @John Patterson:

    @Paul K. As a student in college with 3 roommates, living next door to railroad tracks(as close as 200’ ) , it never bothered us. I found that this house was a bit under market , but we never complained about the noise. Heck, we used to crank up our stereo and rock on. College kids and kids in that range ( 19-28) are usually looking for a dependable place to crash, and to go to work or school. The train track will not be an issue.


    Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience John! Yeah it didn’t bother me too much. If I can break even I’ll get it off my hands but if not may hold onto it a bit. Thanks again.

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Your best best is finding a local school for the deaf. You should be able to find a tenant there.

  • Vacaville, CA · Member since 2019 · 218 posts · 140 votes
    4y

    @Paul K.

    We have a rental home fairly close to train tracks. It’s what I would probably call Class C home. What class is yours? We have not had any problem renting this house and have had it for 20 years. We ask about $100-150 less per month than another home of same size in same town that is not by train tracks. Believe it or not, the first people we rented to, the husband said he grew up close to a train track and loved the sound of a train! Good luck !

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Sell!  Otherwise, you will be dealing with lower rents and adverse selection of residents permanently.  The market is insanely hot and you have the best chance for buyers right now who will compromise their requirements to get a house.

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Paul K.  You need to dig in to your local laws to find out exactly what the agent's legal / fiduciary obligations are.  In the two states where I was licensed (MA and ME), this would absolutely require disclosure.  In fact anything that would influence a buyer was a required disclosure, but that may not be the case in TX.

    If it was required and not disclosed, the agent (and his E&O insurance) could be on the hook for damages.

    If you're in a caveat emptor (buyer beware) state, it's all on you and not to pile on, but shame on you for not even looking at a Google Map image!

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Charlie MacPherson:

    @Paul K.  You need to dig in to your local laws to find out exactly what the agent's legal / fiduciary obligations are.  In the two states where I was licensed (MA and ME), this would absolutely require disclosure.  In fact anything that would influence a buyer was a required disclosure, but that may not be the case in TX.

    If it was required and not disclosed, the agent (and his E&O insurance) could be on the hook for damages.

    If you're in a caveat emptor (buyer beware) state, it's all on you and not to pile on, but shame on you for not even looking at a Google Map image!

    Yep I agree, absolutely shame on me.

    The property I bought right before this one was also sight unseen with a rockstar realtor I had used before and it turned out beautifully so that definitely influenced my behavior. 
  • South Holland, IL · Member since 2017 · 374 posts · 432 votes
    4y

    @Paul K.

    You’ll be permanently dealing with lower tier tenants and definitely at least a 20% rent reduction. Sell now and take the loss or keep and be prepared to manage challenging tenants with higher turnover.

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Quincy Lockett:

    @Paul K.

    You’ll be permanently dealing with lower tier tenants and definitely at least a 20% rent reduction. Sell now and take the loss or keep and be prepared to manage challenging tenants with higher turnover.


     Listing this weekend, thanks for the insight! Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate it!

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Paul K. not to beat up on you, but next time look at Google Maps, both aerial and street view. Do that before you ever send boots on the ground to the property. Look for proximity to things like train tracks, but also major highways, industrial areas, etc. 

    The train tracks were there before you owned the house. The city or train operator is under no obligation to accommodate your noise concerns. Cars getting hit on train tracks is a far greater concern than noise. Also be aware that even if tracks are quiet today, they can get busy in the future. I have seen tracks go from one train a day to one coal train every four hours. Coal trains create noise and nasty dust, so just be aware it could be worse. Nothing you can do about the trains, so deal with mitigation.

    The curtains may help, but really window replacement is your best bet. My parents live on a busy street and had 1950's era single pain glass windows. They upgraded to new double pain glass windows and the noise disappeared. 

    Whatever route you choose to rent the property, deal with the noise problem upfront. In your property listing, be very specific about the noise. Put a clause in your lease that the tenants must initial, accepting the noise. Do not hide the noise issue. 

    As others suggested, consider renting to more challenging tenants. That could be low credit score, felon friendly or accept dangerous dog breeds. Someone with a problem you are willing to look past is willing to look past your noise problem. 

  • Schertz, TX · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Is this home in SA proper or one of the suburbs?  I have a rental in Schertz (not by the train track), but properties that are near the track still do well.  Those properties are also near Randolph AFB, so there is frequently noise from flight training.  Despite both of these, properties in this area are selling in 13 days.  (Interest rates may soon change that though.)  If you want to post the address, maybe local investors can give a more specific answer.

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul K.:

    Does anyone have any experience with a rental near noise concerns (airport, trains, etc)?


    I used to live right next to the tracks in college - for 2 straight years. Probably 50 feet off the back patio and the trains would blast their horns at all hours. Surprisingly, I got used to it fairly quickly.  I slept through the blaring horns - and my bedroom window faced the tracks. 
    The only time I was annoyed by a train was if I was watching TV.

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    If you keep it. Lower the rents. You will find someone willing to accept the train tracks for a lower rental rate. Lots of renters will make sacrifices to lower rates. Obviously, the other option is to sell into the strength of the market and cut your losses. 

  • Eric GoldmanBusiness Member
    Lender · PA · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    I lived next to an active train track for exactly 1 year. I did not move because of the trains. 8:15 AM and 10:15 PM horn blasting because there was two crossing near each other...

    It will come down the renters. it is what it is and if the place is nice then I don't see it being a huge issue. They contacted you and i bet if you do a google maps it shows the rails. 

    G2loans- Investor and Commercial Mortgages531 Reviews
  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Awesome thanks for all the great advice everyone! Will be listing it this weekend and if it doesn’t sell in 30 days I’ll continue renting out. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    4y

    look for deaf or hard-of-hearing folks

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I think you're putting too much negative weight on nearby train tracks. Tracks run through almost any developed area throughout the entire country and many people don't pay much attention to them. We have SFR rentals near train tracks and the only comments we've received have been how much their kids anticipate and enjoy the passing trains. (two different families, same property.) It may not be ideal as a short term rental but any long term tenants would quickly adapt.

  • Realtor · Plain City, OH · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 58 votes
    4y

    I own a triplex about 100 feet from railroad tracks, and there are multiple trains that come throughout the night. As a LTR, I disclose in the listing how close it is to the tracks, and I also repeat it in the screening calls. I'm always surprised how many people tell me that they do not care about the tracks because they grew up near some, etc. I have not had any trouble renting the units, though it is in a growing market.

    I also have a STR about 400 feet from tracks. The bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house and it is a newer home, so I do not disclose the tracks in the listing, and I have not had a single complaint from a short-term renter.

    I hope you can find a solution that suits you.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 344 posts · 268 votes
    4y

    I would keep it, San Antonio is going to keep appreciating. You’ll be fine. 

    And buying a property near the railroad tracks and not knowing it is 100 percent on you.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.