Is 12% Management fee outrageous?

Is 12% Management fee outrageous?

Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes

I currently own a property management company (started it one year ago!) and personally manage our own 22 investment properties. 

We are in negotiations to sell a chunk of land that has 15 units on it.

The buyer "very much would like" me to continue managing them!!

Here's my pitch:

- Extremely convenient for the buyer to not have to shop around for a PM company

- all the infrastructure is in place (tenant accounts, payment portal, maintenance requests, leases, etc)

- I hand-picked these tenants. I have high qualifications, so none of them have been a problem at all. They're all on 12 month leases.

- My husband's company does maintenance, lawncare, etc so we would continue with that as well (although extra charges for the new owner as far as repair costs, etc).

- The tenants know me, they know the system, it is a smooth transition with nothing changing except the person ultimately calling the shots.

- I do all my own marketing, social media, listing vacancies on websites, etc (we are at 0% vacancy)

- I have intimate knowledge of all previous maintenance and the layouts/highlights of each unit, relationships with subcontractors, and honestly I have personal (PROFESSIONAL) relationships with each one of my tenants.

I'm sure I could think of some other benefits to hiring me. But, I think that based on all of those things, plus the pure convenience of having it already set up, is worth the higher end of the spectrum. I am thinking of asking for 12%. 

I value any input you have to gift me!!!

3Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
4y

If you include lawn maintenance and snow removal, and you handle vacancy professionally, I think this is great. 

I'd pay 12% for a property manager who kept my vacancy to an absolute minimum. I don't want to see units sitting, however, and would require that at 12%, if you let any unit sit vacant for more than 30 days, that I have the option to move that unit to a new PM with no termination fee, and no questions asked. 

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    If you include lawn maintenance and snow removal, and you handle vacancy professionally, I think this is great. 

    I'd pay 12% for a property manager who kept my vacancy to an absolute minimum. I don't want to see units sitting, however, and would require that at 12%, if you let any unit sit vacant for more than 30 days, that I have the option to move that unit to a new PM with no termination fee, and no questions asked. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    How much are you charging for lease renewals and placing new tenants?  I'd negotiate the lawncare as separate.  12% is on the higher end, but if the lease renewals and placing tenant costs are lower, then it might balance out in the end.  12% plus a full month's rent to place a new tenant would be too high for me.  My units rent for over $1000 a month.  If they rented for $500 or 600, perhaps. Or charge a flat fee for placing new tenants.  I'd also expect a bit of a discount for 15 units in one location.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson 12% is not outlandish, 10% is quite normal and we have inflation which everyone knows. Besides if you start low you can't go up so start high and you can come down if you choose-right?

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson

    I think it depends on full scope of work and also what the gross rents are. Gross rents if $2k per unit is far different than $500.

    Also what are your renewal fees, do you charge if unit is vacant and also new lease fees?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y

    If the rent is $500-$600 and there’s no placement or renewal fees you might get that. In the land of $1500_$2500  rents 8% plus $150 fee is more common. If the tenants are horrible having the PM is worth 12% (as long as the tenant pool is horrible and not the PM’s choices.) . If they are great 8% is gravy. 

    Ps. I hate move in/ renewal fees. It’s put the PM and landlord at opposing goals. When their “reward” for finding a new tenant is $150 while losing out on 8% while vacant you get more 8-15 year tenants. If their reward is a months rent, suddenly new turnover is their friend. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson no one's brought up the point of an investor expecting a discount due to 15 units.

    Another potential determining factor is what Class of property/tenant are these?

    We charge a higher percentage rate for Class C than we do for Class A, due to the additional time required.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Amanda Thompson:

    Are you licensed and insured? When managing for others, you need the proper licensing and insurance. 

    I would also point out you are exposing yourself to liability for others when you only have one year of experience. How well do you know the law? How well do you understand trust accounting, reporting, maintenance of records, privacy laws, etc?  

    Managing for others is not the same as managing for yourself. I would also like to point out that management really isn't very profitable with just 15 units after considering your expenses and liability. It's stacking nickels to make dollars, so you really need around 100 units under management to make a decent living.

    Just some thoughts from someone that doesn't know you or your situation.  :)

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Scott Trench:

    If you include lawn maintenance and snow removal, and you handle vacancy professionally, I think this is great. 

    I'd pay 12% for a property manager who kept my vacancy to an absolute minimum. I don't want to see units sitting, however, and would require that at 12%, if you let any unit sit vacant for more than 30 days, that I have the option to move that unit to a new PM with no termination fee, and no questions asked. 


     I think I would probably either not charge them for vacant units, or charge for only one month and if for some reason it doesn't get filled, then they would not pay until it is filled. The market here is crazy though, so I doubt we will have any vacancies. Thank you for the advice! What exactly do you mean by handling vacancies professionally?

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    How much are you charging for lease renewals and placing new tenants?  I'd negotiate the lawncare as separate.  12% is on the higher end, but if the lease renewals and placing tenant costs are lower, then it might balance out in the end.  12% plus a full month's rent to place a new tenant would be too high for me.  My units rent for over $1000 a month.  If they rented for $500 or 600, perhaps. Or charge a flat fee for placing new tenants.  I'd also expect a bit of a discount for 15 units in one location.


     I would include things like lease renewal fees, or placing tenants within the 12%. Like, I would not charge extra for those things, they'd be included. Our rents are $2400/mo and $2200/mo depending on the size of the unit. Thank you!

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Amanda Thompson

    I think it depends on full scope of work and also what the gross rents are. Gross rents if $2k per unit is far different than $500.

    Also what are your renewal fees, do you charge if unit is vacant and also new lease fees?


     Good point! I answered a few of those questions in my last reply to someone, if you want to take a peek. I'd be offering a pretty full-service system for them! 

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    If the rent is $500-$600 and there’s no placement or renewal fees you might get that. In the land of $1500_$2500  rents 8% plus $150 fee is more common. If the tenants are horrible having the PM is worth 12% (as long as the tenant pool is horrible and not the PM’s choices.) . If they are great 8% is gravy. 

    Ps. I hate move in/ renewal fees. It’s put the PM and landlord at opposing goals. When their “reward” for finding a new tenant is $150 while losing out on 8% while vacant you get more 8-15 year tenants. If their reward is a months rent, suddenly new turnover is their friend. 


     I totally agree with you about the nickel & diming of different fees. I would charge the 12% with no other fees. Our rents are $2400 and $2200, plus monthly pet rents. I hand picked all these tenants, and they are awesome.I have been managing the whole thing for a year.

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @Amanda Thompson no one's brought up the point of an investor expecting a discount due to 15 units.

    Another potential determining factor is what Class of property/tenant are these?

    We charge a higher percentage rate for Class C than we do for Class A, due to the additional time required.


     I'm not sure why they would get a discount for me doing more work. ;) I'm not sure about what the classes refer to, but the units are all 1-year-old,  high-end duplex homes, which I have been managing since they were all brand new and vacant. :) I have high qualifications, so I chose all tenants and they're all great. 

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Amanda Thompson:

    Are you licensed and insured? When managing for others, you need the proper licensing and insurance. 

    I would also point out you are exposing yourself to liability for others when you only have one year of experience. How well do you know the law? How well do you understand trust accounting, reporting, maintenance of records, privacy laws, etc?  

    Managing for others is not the same as managing for yourself. I would also like to point out that management really isn't very profitable with just 15 units after considering your expenses and liability. It's stacking nickels to make dollars, so you really need around 100 units under management to make a decent living.

    Just some thoughts from someone that doesn't know you or your situation.  :)


    Those are all very valid points, thank you. I have learned so much after basically being thrown into this a year ago. This is basically a side gig for me, so I don't technically need to make a living on it, but I do expect to be paid for my time and the extras my company would provide. In Idaho there are no licensing requirements, but my company is LLC and is also insured. I have a legal service I can ask questions to, and a lawyer in case I need an eviction (hasn't happened yet). I didn't really expect to grow my business into managing for others, but now it's an option so I'm just weighing the pros and cons. :) My husband is a builder/developer, and we keep his builds as rentals, so there are more down the pipeline (including 8 more that will be available this fall). I truly appreciate the issues you bring up!

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    THANK YOU!!!! Thank you for your honest feedback and very thoughtful questions!! 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    I wish you can manage my rental. I will increase to 13% :)

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 400 posts · 278 votes
    4y

    I don't think 12% is outrageous but it also depends on the other finances. What are you taking for lease renewals / new leases? If you're stacking on the fees (1st months rent for new leases + 12%, + 75% of renewals) then I may be hesitant. If lawn and snow is taken care of either in that 12% or at a very high discount, then that right there could possibly make up the additional ~2% (I'd expect most 15-unit properties to run about 10% for management). 

    At the end of the day it's not really about the management %, it's about ROI on money and time. Lay out all the way you save them money and time and I doubt the 2% extra will be a large deal for additional certainty and less headaches.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
    4y

    Cheers, @Amanda Thompson.  We’ve been starting at 12.5% for ours!   Depending on the locations and # of doors - we’d be somewhat flexible on it.  It’s up to you how you want to make it shake…  If you’re gonna stand firm then I’d imagine you’re confident that you could get the business elsewhere.  Or perhaps if you really want to keep those 15 doors - you might just have to see what you could work out with the potential new owner?  🙂 PM doesn’t get enough love lol.  There’s a lot that goes into it and a lotta investors don’t get it until they try to do it own their own OOS and they get smoked. Anyway, yeah, see what you can work out!  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Amanda Thompson that was the rate a few years ago we paid with no lease renewal or lease up fees. It was sort of a standard in the area with 9 month student and then summer rentals.    Honestly though if this is a side gig for you I would ask if you could handle urgent issues for me. If you have a day job are you going to give it the attention of a PM who is in the office daily.  One of the reasons we fired the PM was unavailability and ditzy office staff, and they were a full time office.  

    0% vacancy after 1 year only?  that really isn't a big deal, several years maybe.   I would pitch service so what is your responsiveness?   I would pitch standards, not hand picked tenants but high tenant standards, aggressive monitoring and filling of units with qualified tenants.   Put together your performance metrics.

  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    It depends on the price of the property. In higher rent areas 6-9% might be fair but for sub 100k properties 10-12% and 100% of first months rent is the range.

    LOL every thing is negotiable if you can find something else.

  • Raliegh, NC · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    I'm not sure why no one has proposed this before......

    include the management agreement in the offer to purchase contract 

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    So would you charge to place a new tenant? If so, how much?

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    Standard property management fee is 8%. 12% is a 50% increase in price over standard. You're not charging a little premium for better service..  youd be charging drastically higher. Chances of investors paying a 50% premium over standard prices is almost a zero chance of happening.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I will always pay more for superior service. 12% is reasonable IF you are the best PM out there.

  • Joshua Tree, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    I had several properties at Snowshoe WV years ago and the management company there charged 40% plus housekeeping.. beach house in Duck NC fee was 10% plus housekeeping plus pool and hot tub.. If you’re bringing in a ton of business fee is very reasonable? Haven’t done any residential just resort 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Nope it's not!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.