Is 12% Management fee outrageous?

Is 12% Management fee outrageous?

Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes

I currently own a property management company (started it one year ago!) and personally manage our own 22 investment properties. 

We are in negotiations to sell a chunk of land that has 15 units on it.

The buyer "very much would like" me to continue managing them!!

Here's my pitch:

- Extremely convenient for the buyer to not have to shop around for a PM company

- all the infrastructure is in place (tenant accounts, payment portal, maintenance requests, leases, etc)

- I hand-picked these tenants. I have high qualifications, so none of them have been a problem at all. They're all on 12 month leases.

- My husband's company does maintenance, lawncare, etc so we would continue with that as well (although extra charges for the new owner as far as repair costs, etc).

- The tenants know me, they know the system, it is a smooth transition with nothing changing except the person ultimately calling the shots.

- I do all my own marketing, social media, listing vacancies on websites, etc (we are at 0% vacancy)

- I have intimate knowledge of all previous maintenance and the layouts/highlights of each unit, relationships with subcontractors, and honestly I have personal (PROFESSIONAL) relationships with each one of my tenants.

I'm sure I could think of some other benefits to hiring me. But, I think that based on all of those things, plus the pure convenience of having it already set up, is worth the higher end of the spectrum. I am thinking of asking for 12%. 

I value any input you have to gift me!!!

3Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
4y

If you include lawn maintenance and snow removal, and you handle vacancy professionally, I think this is great. 

I'd pay 12% for a property manager who kept my vacancy to an absolute minimum. I don't want to see units sitting, however, and would require that at 12%, if you let any unit sit vacant for more than 30 days, that I have the option to move that unit to a new PM with no termination fee, and no questions asked. 

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Yes seems a bit high. We only charge 8% NOT SOLISITING, I see the industry is usually 10% . 

    All the best 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Amanda Thompson:

    I currently own a property management company (started it one year ago!) and personally manage our own 22 investment properties. 

    We are in negotiations to sell a chunk of land that has 15 units on it.

    The buyer "very much would like" me to continue managing them!!

    Here's my pitch:

    - Extremely convenient for the buyer to not have to shop around for a PM company

    - all the infrastructure is in place (tenant accounts, payment portal, maintenance requests, leases, etc)

    - I hand-picked these tenants. I have high qualifications, so none of them have been a problem at all. They're all on 12 month leases.

    - My husband's company does maintenance, lawncare, etc so we would continue with that as well (although extra charges for the new owner as far as repair costs, etc).

    - The tenants know me, they know the system, it is a smooth transition with nothing changing except the person ultimately calling the shots.

    - I do all my own marketing, social media, listing vacancies on websites, etc (we are at 0% vacancy)

    - I have intimate knowledge of all previous maintenance and the layouts/highlights of each unit, relationships with subcontractors, and honestly I have personal (PROFESSIONAL) relationships with each one of my tenants.

    I'm sure I could think of some other benefits to hiring me. But, I think that based on all of those things, plus the pure convenience of having it already set up, is worth the higher end of the spectrum. I am thinking of asking for 12%. 

    I value any input you have to gift me!!!


     In my high rent market you would be too high.  There are many PMs in my market at 8% with additional add on costs for a single unit.  10% PM fee has minimal additional costs for single unit. 

    On a 15 unit property there would be a significant discounts. 

    By your description your property is at least class B which should equate to easier management than class C or below.  

    Note in my market average 2 BR rents are about $1k more than your rents.  10% of $3200 is $320, 12% if $2200 is $264.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    12% is a premium price but I didn't catch what value you bring for that premium. Everything you listed is standard and I would expect from any PM.  The "personal relationship" statement is a red flag for me.  It makes me feel like I'm a third-party.  I would rephrase to: I provide quarterly touch points with the tenants through unit inspections where I gather updated information on employment status, possible lease extensions and other needs. 

    A 0% vacancy rate could indicate the rents are under market.  I would want to know what are rents compared to market and what are the turnaround times on vacant units.

    Lastly, if you're aware of the direction the sector and the country is heading - charging premiums is not sustainable. Honestly, if this is something you want scale out you should be closer to 5-7%. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    If I were the buyer of that complex, I would look at it this way. This is a brand new complex (you say built a year ago), so little maintenance, few issues and 0 initial vacancy is almost expected. You are brand new (1 year experience). Nothing here speaks to your superiority over other providers (just being brutally honest). Why would I not bring in my own vetted trusted team or another experienced manager if I don’t already have someone in your area?

    If and only if you gave a super good pitch, I’d most definitely give you a chance but start the management fee percentage slightly below market. I’d offer performance based increases (say every 6 months to a year). If you are as great as you are and can sustain that level of performance over the long term you’ll eventually be above market (I am all for you get what you pay for and pay more where warranted) AND I’ll most likely bring you more business whether I continue to invest more in your area or build relationships and give you referrals (and won’t even ask you to pay me referral fees). 

    Premium service drives premium fees. Track record proves sustainability of that premium service. Have seen too many jump too high only to find themselves being unable to perform within a few years…

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    haha... GP is very sensitive to PM fee as they have to return the money back to investors :) but pop and mom investor don't too sensitive that, 12-13 % doesn't make real differences if PM is extremely pro-active.

    Also there's this turnkey startup that's also offering PM as part of the package, with the rate of 15% in Texas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    4y

    I use a PM also based in Boise and I pay 6%. They provide excellent service for me and have done so for almost 15 years.
    They currently manage 600 doors. Ironically, they confided that they earn more money on fees charged to tenants than they do management fees charged to owners. 

  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    I charge 10%. This includes more than just management. I guide the client to grow the portfolio. I recommend brokers, lenders, maintenance with the best interest of the client in mind. I treat the property as if it were mine. We meet regularly to discuss future plans and changes. 

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
    4y

    Congrats @Amanda Thompson for starting your own PM firm!  I had one in Seattle for a few years, it can be brutal but I truly believe women are wired better than men for the biz. LOL!  I also use a PM in Boise for my 26 units, they charge 8 percent.  So speaking from experience on both sides, here's some feedback on your points:

    - Extremely convenient for the buyer to not have to shop around for a PM company -- Not sure many investors wouldn't shop around if someone quoted 12% management fees.  Even if a pain for me, I would shop for a better rate.

    - all the infrastructure is in place (tenant accounts, payment portal, maintenance requests, leases, etc) -- So you want to charge a premium for systems already in place?  If anything, that would lead me to believe the transition should be fairly smooth and easy.  Nice that you may not be charging them an onboarding fee but I don't see why the increased management fee applies to this aspect.

    - I hand-picked these tenants. I have high qualifications, so none of them have been a problem at all. They're all on 12 month leases. -- Great!  So they are all great tenants, no issues or problems...shouldn't that equate to a lower management fee not a higher one since they are not on the "headache" list.  You could charge the buyer a higher renewal fee for retaining such great tenants but again, I don't see the justification for a higher monthly management fee.

    - My husband's company does maintenance, lawncare, etc so we would continue with that as well (although extra charges for the new owner as far as repair costs, etc). -- Not sure I follow this point.  Are you implying that your husband does those things as part of (included in) the management fee?  If so, I would see value there.  If his company still plans to charge for maintenance and landscaping, still don't see 12% value other than you have a known, reliable vendor.

    - The tenants know me, they know the system, it is a smooth transition with nothing changing except the person ultimately calling the shots. -- Same as above.  So easy transition and no increased work load on your office's part.  Again, not seeing the value in 2-4% above your competition.

    - I do all my own marketing, social media, listing vacancies on websites, etc (we are at 0% vacancy) -- Many PMs can say something similar.  I'm not sure of your total unit count but zero vacancy may imply your rents are under market.

    - I have intimate knowledge of all previous maintenance and the layouts/highlights of each unit, relationships with subcontractors, and honestly I have personal (PROFESSIONAL) relationships with each one of my tenants. -- That's fantastic but my solid PM would be able to say the same for most of that as well, although I don't expect them to have personal (pro) relationships with each.  


    I don't mean to squash your perceived value at 12% but I believe there is too much comparable competition in a market like Boise to shoot that high UNLESS you can prove the value, financially, to the buyer.  If you can show you can get rents up 20%, then 12% PM fee is easier to swallow.  For example, when I bought my first apartment complex in Boise, the PM offered a flat rate until they reached a higher, target average rent, then the 8% kicked in.

    That's the beauty of running your own business.  No matter what input you get from online, you're open to charge whatever you feel is appropriate based on the level of service you provide.  Best wishes in your success! 

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    We actually offer tiers of service starting at 10% and top shelf being 12%.  We don't get a ton of bites but it's elective and the clients decides the plan they want.  I'm in the Indy market as well, so I would guess it would vary depending on how expensive your market is.  In my experience, if the potential client understand the value of what you charge you should be good.  Good luck to you!

  • Jake KnightPro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis · Member since 2017 · 303 posts · 146 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jake Knight:

    We actually offer tiers of service starting at 10% and top shelf being 12%.  We don't get a ton of bites but it's elective and the clients decides the plan they want.  I'm in the Indy market as well, so I would guess it would vary depending on how expensive your market is.  In my experience, if the potential client understand the value of what you charge you should be good.  Good luck to you!


     Should have said ton of bites on our 12% plan.

  • Real Estate Agent · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 63 votes
    4y

    The value is that you have all the connections and experience. See the feedback you got from fellow BP members. People will pay for a good service. A good PM is hard to find!! Run with it. 

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I'll echo other's sentiment - unfortunately the PM business is somewhat of a commodity, with pretty fierce competition on rates. Sounds like you're nearly 50% above market norms here - there's no harm in aiming high and charging for your value but know that the rate will be a major factor in most investors decisions. One thing you didn't mention was other fees- are lease ups free at 12%? If they start comparing your rate to others make sure they're comparing your apples-to-apples with the flat fees as well. 

    I can't speak to your buyer, just what I would do as the investor in this situation. If it was me I would replace your company, just based on rates, regardless of value provided - its just not worth the 50% premium for me even if your company is really really good, but other investors may have different priorities.

    For background I'm in Seattle and pay 7% + a lease up fee (I think its $650)

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I will add after reading more responses....if you do charge 12%, you had better nail the expectations!

  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Good point!! I was planning to basically have the 12% a flat rate and not charge extra for things like renewals.
    Quote from @Justin Moy:

    I don't think 12% is outrageous but it also depends on the other finances. What are you taking for lease renewals / new leases? If you're stacking on the fees (1st months rent for new leases + 12%, + 75% of renewals) then I may be hesitant. If lawn and snow is taken care of either in that 12% or at a very high discount, then that right there could possibly make up the additional ~2% (I'd expect most 15-unit properties to run about 10% for management). 

    At the end of the day it's not really about the management %, it's about ROI on money and time. Lay out all the way you save them money and time and I doubt the 2% extra will be a large deal for additional certainty and less headaches.


  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    All awesome ideas!! And I pride myself on being incredibly responsive. For most maintenance issues I have someone out the same day. I don't have another job that would take me away from PM. :) Thanks for the suggestions on what to focus on, as far as the benefits in hiring me!

    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Amanda Thompson that was the rate a few years ago we paid with no lease renewal or lease up fees. It was sort of a standard in the area with 9 month student and then summer rentals.    Honestly though if this is a side gig for you I would ask if you could handle urgent issues for me. If you have a day job are you going to give it the attention of a PM who is in the office daily.  One of the reasons we fired the PM was unavailability and ditzy office staff, and they were a full time office.  

    0% vacancy after 1 year only?  that really isn't a big deal, several years maybe.   I would pitch service so what is your responsiveness?   I would pitch standards, not hand picked tenants but high tenant standards, aggressive monitoring and filling of units with qualified tenants.   Put together your performance metrics.


  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    I totally thought of something similar! Not necessarily that the management would be in the sale contract, but the fees would be added to the sale. I asked my husband (who is the builder, owner, etc) if that would benefit the buyer somehow. I thought maybe it they lumped it in, they'd get sort of a tax break or something. Especially if they're doing 1031. Good call!!
    Quote from @Thomas J.:

    I'm not sure why no one has proposed this before......

    include the management agreement in the offer to purchase contract 


  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    I totally see your point, and I can't help but have only a year experience. However, the liason to the buyer told me they "very much" want me to continue managing. It's zero transition for them if they hire me. Thank you for bringing in the point of how the buyer would look at it. I'm definitely going to consider that! 
    Quote from @Sergey A. Petrov:

    If I were the buyer of that complex, I would look at it this way. This is a brand new complex (you say built a year ago), so little maintenance, few issues and 0 initial vacancy is almost expected. You are brand new (1 year experience). Nothing here speaks to your superiority over other providers (just being brutally honest). Why would I not bring in my own vetted trusted team or another experienced manager if I don’t already have someone in your area?

    If and only if you gave a super good pitch, I’d most definitely give you a chance but start the management fee percentage slightly below market. I’d offer performance based increases (say every 6 months to a year). If you are as great as you are and can sustain that level of performance over the long term you’ll eventually be above market (I am all for you get what you pay for and pay more where warranted) AND I’ll most likely bring you more business whether I continue to invest more in your area or build relationships and give you referrals (and won’t even ask you to pay me referral fees). 

    Premium service drives premium fees. Track record proves sustainability of that premium service. Have seen too many jump too high only to find themselves being unable to perform within a few years…


  • Property Manager · Boise, ID · Member since 2021 · 119 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    That was very thorough, and I appreciate all your points! Thank you!
    Just to answer one point, why would I charge less for creating LESS headache? I feel like if I'm doing a stellar job and have very little headache, that is worth a higher % then someone who isn't choosing well and has lots of headaches. Just the way I look at it. I try to charge mid-market rate, so I don't think my rents are low... I try to price them that way so I have more of a tenant pool to choose from, so I am able to choose those "no hassle" tenants. A buyer/owner might not care though!
    Quote from @Brandon Vukelich:

    Congrats @Amanda Thompson for starting your own PM firm!  I had one in Seattle for a few years, it can be brutal but I truly believe women are wired better than men for the biz. LOL!  I also use a PM in Boise for my 26 units, they charge 8 percent.  So speaking from experience on both sides, here's some feedback on your points:

    - Extremely convenient for the buyer to not have to shop around for a PM company -- Not sure many investors wouldn't shop around if someone quoted 12% management fees.  Even if a pain for me, I would shop for a better rate.

    - all the infrastructure is in place (tenant accounts, payment portal, maintenance requests, leases, etc) -- So you want to charge a premium for systems already in place?  If anything, that would lead me to believe the transition should be fairly smooth and easy.  Nice that you may not be charging them an onboarding fee but I don't see why the increased management fee applies to this aspect.

    - I hand-picked these tenants. I have high qualifications, so none of them have been a problem at all. They're all on 12 month leases. -- Great!  So they are all great tenants, no issues or problems...shouldn't that equate to a lower management fee not a higher one since they are not on the "headache" list.  You could charge the buyer a higher renewal fee for retaining such great tenants but again, I don't see the justification for a higher monthly management fee.

    - My husband's company does maintenance, lawncare, etc so we would continue with that as well (although extra charges for the new owner as far as repair costs, etc). -- Not sure I follow this point.  Are you implying that your husband does those things as part of (included in) the management fee?  If so, I would see value there.  If his company still plans to charge for maintenance and landscaping, still don't see 12% value other than you have a known, reliable vendor.

    - The tenants know me, they know the system, it is a smooth transition with nothing changing except the person ultimately calling the shots. -- Same as above.  So easy transition and no increased work load on your office's part.  Again, not seeing the value in 2-4% above your competition.

    - I do all my own marketing, social media, listing vacancies on websites, etc (we are at 0% vacancy) -- Many PMs can say something similar.  I'm not sure of your total unit count but zero vacancy may imply your rents are under market.

    - I have intimate knowledge of all previous maintenance and the layouts/highlights of each unit, relationships with subcontractors, and honestly I have personal (PROFESSIONAL) relationships with each one of my tenants. -- That's fantastic but my solid PM would be able to say the same for most of that as well, although I don't expect them to have personal (pro) relationships with each.  


    I don't mean to squash your perceived value at 12% but I believe there is too much comparable competition in a market like Boise to shoot that high UNLESS you can prove the value, financially, to the buyer.  If you can show you can get rents up 20%, then 12% PM fee is easier to swallow.  For example, when I bought my first apartment complex in Boise, the PM offered a flat rate until they reached a higher, target average rent, then the 8% kicked in.

    That's the beauty of running your own business.  No matter what input you get from online, you're open to charge whatever you feel is appropriate based on the level of service you provide.  Best wishes in your success! 


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.