Trenton NJ

Trenton NJ

Edison, NJ · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 2 votes

Searched through biggerpockets and was surprised to see very little discussion on Trenton NJ.

I am seeing the 2% rule all over the place here and am tempted to make the jump.

Anyone on BP investing here? Advice?

1Reply
283 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
10y
Sandro, 

There are a few different areas in Trenton, and they all appeal to different types of investors.  Most people like Chambersburg because it is very desirable for tenants, it is still at a good price point and the rents are Strong.   For 60k you can get a house that's REALLY nice and big that would rent for $1,200.  

Then there is Franklin Park and Villa Park, which is desirable, but with a lot of owner occupied and retail buyers driving up prices for investors.  A house would get the same rent as Chamberburg but cost up to 100k.

Then there is Chestnut Park.  It is pretty good except for the corner of Home and Jersey Streets which is plagued with dilapidated houses and board ups.  I really nice house in this area would go for about 50-60k and rent for $1,100.  I have noticed that a lot of the houses in Chestnut Park have stupid high taxes, so you need to keep an eye out on that.  

Wilber Section has some areas that are very run down and chock full of board ups.  There are some people betting on the area because it is so close to the train station and the redevelopment that has been coming along with it.  Rents are a little less than the rents in the rest of Trenton, but the prices are closer to 30k-40k for a nice house.  

West Trenton has some areas with HUGE old awesome houses.  Some of those areas are beat up and destroyed with boards ups and the like, other areas still really nice there, and there is also some redevelopment over there.  Because the houses are so big a lot of landlords are doing well with high rents from section 8.  Prices and rents vary greatly in West Trenton.

East Trenton is very popular among investors.   The rents are pretty strong and the taxes are really low.  A nice house can be purchased for 40k and rent for $1000 with low taxes to sweeten the return.  There are a few streets and intersection to watch in East Trenton as far as ease of finding tenants, but a lot of stuff seems to be happening in East Trenton for the better right now.  

South Trenton has a lot of new retail house buyers coming in.  It is near the Waterfront Park and Arena.  There is some great new construction housing in South Trenton, and very desirable for both tenants and homeowners.   The prices seem to be creeping up quickly in South Trenton.  60k can get you a really nice house in South Trenton and rents can be $1,200 plus.  

No matter where you are in Trenton there are pockets that you need to be aware of in ANY Section.  I mentioned most of them.  

I like investing in Trenton.  The city inspections are what they are, but seem fair.  And I like the fact the the eviction process if you need to go down that route is very quick and fair.  

Just like being a landlord ANYWHERE.   Property management is the KEY to a successful investment.   If you do it your self or hire someone, you need to know what you are doing.  

If you are looking for management in Trenton, Feel to reach out to me for suggestions.  

Good Luck, 

Stephen Chatto



Originally posted by @Account Closed:

I have been looking at several properties online the last few days/ weeks in Trenton as well. As an outsider, it is kind of hard to see where the rather save neighborhoods are and where not, I feel.

Therefore my questions:

- Could you help me with names of rather good/ close to good neighborhoods?

- what ROI do you have & expect for these areas?

- Could somebody suggest a property manager?

- and have you seen already improvements in Trenton overall?

Thank you all very much already in advance. I will do further research now and would be very happy to get to know someone people who are interested as well.

Sandro

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Trenton makes, and the world takes!

    If I may ask, what income levels aer you getting that 2% rule?
    Are there 'good' areas of Trenton?

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I'd rather live in Detroit.

  • Edison, NJ · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Man not a lot of love for Trenton.

    Arjun what do you mean by income levels for the 2%?

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    I am just curious what type of area satisfies your 2%? A rotting urban core of Section 8 housing? Or Single Family Housing in a same area with white picket fences (albiet soot stained... just kidding). Curious what your tenant looks like... on social assistance... or younger crowds moving into Trenton because they can't afford Detroit... :)

  • Edison, NJ · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Arjun, for me 2% is 2% regardless of area.

    In NJ it is difficult or impossible to get anywhere close to 2%, so when I do see 2% I understand that there might be difficulties involved. Hope I answered the question.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    yes

  • Manasquan, NJ · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    WOW guy I know (not a friend but a guy from a club I attend meetings at) just got huge fines at section 8 bldg(s) he owns in Trenton. From the way he talks at meetings he is the antithesis of what a good landlord should be for a community.

    FTR his daytime position is a PD officer in another community in the midst of a renaissance . Well he got caught being a slum lord and in fact it got so bad it affected his day job in which his reputation became aware to others.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 192 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    I lived in Trenton for a year and was happy when I moved. I wouldn't want to own property there regardless of cashflow potential. Just my opinion :-)

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    My husband and I own 2 properties in Trenton. The areas are ok, not war zones. We've been there many times (in daylight) without a problem. I'd say the 1.5% rule is where we're at. We bought in '08, our first rental properties, and paid twice what they're worth now...but half what they had previously sold for when we bought them. Values are climbing a bit. We've have tenants on Section 8 and rental assistance, and the last few years the tenants have been working people. When they are working, they're mostly fine. When they aren't, they have to be evicted and will usually cause several thousand dollars in damage.

    Trenton is still a viable city and people who have lived there all their lives consider it home and want to continue to live there. The block where one of our houses is has several owners who have lived there for decades. That area has improved over the 7 years we've owned the house. We take care of our properties.

  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    12y

    Trenton is hell! Take if from a real estate appraiser that has worked in that area...Probably better off in Newark/Irvington area for rental property

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I haven't bought in Trenton but I support it. Even Barbara Corcoran says it's the next big market! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Fuquay-Varina, NC · Member since 2013 · 381 posts · 308 votes
    12y

    I have a SFH in Trenton - it doesn't have a white picket fence as @Arjun K. asked about, but it's nicer than you'd expect. Before I made the purchase I spent a lot of time with a realtor who knows and invests in the area to understand the neighborhoods. There are a few specific neighborhoods that are "safer" than others and more desirable to live in. 

    Personally, I wouldn't live there, but I don't mind owning and visiting this specific property, and my tenants have lived in Trenton their whole lives and are happy. 

    @Ali Boone I hadn't heard Barbara Corcoran say that about Trenton, so now I'm off to do some research!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Justin Fraser

    Email me and I'll send you a link :) 

  • Investor · Cranford, NJ · Member since 2012 · 303 posts · 153 votes
    12y

    I own in newark and irvingon, and I have solid cashflow but do deal with some additional challenges. We have to pay people to house sit when vacant, there are some rough areas, but I believe the proximity to NYC, major court systems, universities, ect parts of Newark have possibility for significant appreciation, and even if they never go up I still have great cashflow. 

    I am interested in hearing about Trenton from anyone who might invest there as it appears to be CHEAP . 

  • Investor · Cranford, NJ · Member since 2012 · 303 posts · 153 votes
    12y

    @Ali Boone can you share the link on the forum I would love to see the article as well

  • Philly Area, PA · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    Trenton has one thing going it ain't Camden, lol. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Here is a public video, with Barbara Corcoran on it, where she brings up Trenton. (last city talked about in the video)

    For more detailed Trenton research, you'll have to message me as it is private research that was done by market experts for their own firm, not for the public.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    There are challenges in Trenton as in other urban areas with a struggling economy and large percentage of non-working people. We have 2 properties there, and one tenant is excellent and the other is good enough. They both have jobs. Vacant houses are a target, as @Steve Wilcox sort of suggested ;) To avoid vacancies, when we have good tenants, we do not raise the rent. The excellent tenant keeps the property in excellent condition, and the other one is harder on it, but not destructive. 

    Cash flow is good, relative to the purchase price, but we usually have to do far more renovation when a tenant leaves (on their own or by eviction) than in our other properties.

  • Matt FairclothPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Trenton, NJ · Member since 2014 · 136 posts · 155 votes
    12y

    Hey All,

    We have owned properties in Trenton for the past 10 years - I also own and occupy an office building here.  For those looking at it from the outside, it doesn't look promising.  To investors that have their boots on the ground in the city, it has been a gold mine.  

    Yes there is some section 8 housing (which we don't shy away from) but there are plenty of other tenants available that are perfectly capable to pay the rent on their own and have decent jobs.  

    I remain bullish in the city - there is a newly elected mayor that is looking to make some radical changes (the last mayor ended up going to jail and ruined any momentum the city had before he was elected).  There are several multi million dollar redevelopment projects (not affordable housing ones either) in the pipline that will change the city for the better also.

    at anyone on this thread, shoot me a message on BP if you want more info on what we have learned on investing here.

    Matt Faircloth

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    11y

    I agree with Matt...   There is a lot of opportunity in Trenton and a Lot of good going on in the City.  It's not perfect, but it cash flows well and if you know where to invest you can get some pretty good tenants.  Plus I think that there is a good upside potential there right now.  

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 294 posts · 70 votes
    11y

    For those who are interested, here's a video with Barbara Corcoran where she mentions Trenton. I don't know if it's the same one that @Ali Boone was referencing, nor do I know when the video aired, but for anyone who wanted to see it.... here you go:

    Barbara Corcoran on Today

    She mentions Trenton at the 4:38 mark.

  • Investor · Waco, TX · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Yikes, that's harsh to be compared to detroit. I suppose from an outsiders perspective , differentiating the two would be difficult. I'm originally from Englewood,NJ so you can imagine my comfort level when I first moved into Trenton 6 years ago. In any case, these days I'm much more motivated to strengthen and clean up our community. Hopefully I'm on the right track beginning  with wholesales and reos.

  • new york, NY · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    I have been looking at several properties online the last few days/ weeks in Trenton as well. As an outsider, it is kind of hard to see where the rather save neighborhoods are and where not, I feel.

    Therefore my questions:

    - Could you help me with names of rather good/ close to good neighborhoods?

    - what ROI do you have & expect for these areas?

    - Could somebody suggest a property manager?

    - and have you seen already improvements in Trenton overall?

    Thank you all very much already in advance. I will do further research now and would be very happy to get to know someone people who are interested as well.

    Sandro

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2012 · 436 posts · 198 votes
    10y
    Sandro, 

    There are a few different areas in Trenton, and they all appeal to different types of investors.  Most people like Chambersburg because it is very desirable for tenants, it is still at a good price point and the rents are Strong.   For 60k you can get a house that's REALLY nice and big that would rent for $1,200.  

    Then there is Franklin Park and Villa Park, which is desirable, but with a lot of owner occupied and retail buyers driving up prices for investors.  A house would get the same rent as Chamberburg but cost up to 100k.

    Then there is Chestnut Park.  It is pretty good except for the corner of Home and Jersey Streets which is plagued with dilapidated houses and board ups.  I really nice house in this area would go for about 50-60k and rent for $1,100.  I have noticed that a lot of the houses in Chestnut Park have stupid high taxes, so you need to keep an eye out on that.  

    Wilber Section has some areas that are very run down and chock full of board ups.  There are some people betting on the area because it is so close to the train station and the redevelopment that has been coming along with it.  Rents are a little less than the rents in the rest of Trenton, but the prices are closer to 30k-40k for a nice house.  

    West Trenton has some areas with HUGE old awesome houses.  Some of those areas are beat up and destroyed with boards ups and the like, other areas still really nice there, and there is also some redevelopment over there.  Because the houses are so big a lot of landlords are doing well with high rents from section 8.  Prices and rents vary greatly in West Trenton.

    East Trenton is very popular among investors.   The rents are pretty strong and the taxes are really low.  A nice house can be purchased for 40k and rent for $1000 with low taxes to sweeten the return.  There are a few streets and intersection to watch in East Trenton as far as ease of finding tenants, but a lot of stuff seems to be happening in East Trenton for the better right now.  

    South Trenton has a lot of new retail house buyers coming in.  It is near the Waterfront Park and Arena.  There is some great new construction housing in South Trenton, and very desirable for both tenants and homeowners.   The prices seem to be creeping up quickly in South Trenton.  60k can get you a really nice house in South Trenton and rents can be $1,200 plus.  

    No matter where you are in Trenton there are pockets that you need to be aware of in ANY Section.  I mentioned most of them.  

    I like investing in Trenton.  The city inspections are what they are, but seem fair.  And I like the fact the the eviction process if you need to go down that route is very quick and fair.  

    Just like being a landlord ANYWHERE.   Property management is the KEY to a successful investment.   If you do it your self or hire someone, you need to know what you are doing.  

    If you are looking for management in Trenton, Feel to reach out to me for suggestions.  

    Good Luck, 

    Stephen Chatto



    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have been looking at several properties online the last few days/ weeks in Trenton as well. As an outsider, it is kind of hard to see where the rather save neighborhoods are and where not, I feel.

    Therefore my questions:

    - Could you help me with names of rather good/ close to good neighborhoods?

    - what ROI do you have & expect for these areas?

    - Could somebody suggest a property manager?

    - and have you seen already improvements in Trenton overall?

    Thank you all very much already in advance. I will do further research now and would be very happy to get to know someone people who are interested as well.

    Sandro

  • Englewood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Stephen Chatto you seem to be very knowledgable about Trenton. Ive dealt with some property managers in south broad st...which seem where a few are..but they all suck! I bought a property like 6 months ago, and thought Extra property mgmt. on Broad st. could've run it, but all they did was talk a good one, and not produce the outcomes I was looking for, never returned by phone calls back and said they were getting in contact with the city and this and that...but nothing ever panned out.  I sold the property already and now live in California. To ALL people that want to invest in TRENTON, NJ ...Stephen is right...save yourself a headache and get yourself a property mgmt...but FIRST...BE SURE TO CHECK THEM OUT..ask for references..talk to people that they have managed before and do a google search and check reviews on them. That was something I should've done this year when I bought my property in February this year. I have about 13 properties now in different states.. but I could say that Trenton was the worst management..and I only have myself to blame for not doing my research. Good luck guys! and remember...talk to REAL people and do your homework before investing in Trenton. don't get fooled by a smile..and yes yes yes just so you can sign the papers and then get trapped.

    Thanks all. Have a nice day.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.