How to find Condos that you can rent out?

How to find Condos that you can rent out?

Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hello everyone,

My question is a simple one, yet, I am unable to find out a lot of information on google regarding how to find condos in buildings where the HOA allows rentals. I'm currently working with a realtor and rely on him sending me mls listings. However, these only come in 1-3 at a time and every other day. On the mls listings, it seems it's just an option he can check off. "Allows rentals" yes.

Are there any resources outside of the mls where you can see if the building/condo association allows rentals? I'm unable to find a way to filter this in other resources such as realtor.com redfin etc.

Any information is appreciated!

2Reply
136 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Since you are in Chicago, you may be in luck. If you know the address of one of the units or the PIN you can look it up at the Cook County Recorder site - http://ccrecorder.org. Some HOAs record the bylaws and amendments so you can click on the actual document and read through the bylaws. Other option would be to call the management company or HOA and request the document or ask the question directly.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    It would not be practical for public websites to incorporate and interpret HOA bylaws which can change, and are sometimes circumstance-specific.

    I'd be careful looking at condos as rent properties.   Aside from the bylaw issues, you don't have any control over a big chunk of your expenses.  Just google the term "condo special assessment".

    If you buy a condo, you should also conduct due diligence on the HOA. Google "zombie condo" to see what the worst-case scenario looks like.

  • Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    I havent worked w a lot of condos but in Michigan, so far, ive found HOA rules like:

    only 10% of community can be rentals. And owner but have lived there for 2 years prior to renting.

    Plus they limit signage and open houses and charge that monthly fee. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 11 votes
    3y
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You can't subcategorize based off of HOA's that allow for rentals. What you can do is research every HOA in your market and see which allows for rentals then know what HOA to look for

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I doubt there is an option for that on MLS. Depending on the size of the area, your realtor will know of some condos that allow rentals. For the most part, find places that you like and then ask the listing realtor if they allow rentals. You can also look at condos for rent and then see if there are others in the complex for sale.

  • Jared HottleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA · Member since 2020 · 902 posts · 549 votes
    3y

    If you can figure out the names of the condo associations in your town you should be able to google alot of them and find their bylaws or contact info for the president and get ahold of them directly. Most of them have an online website for the condo owners to use. If that fails the HOA docs should be filed with the county and will be public record in our county all those records are digitized so you can look there as well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Phillip Nightingale

    I'm not aware of a comprehensive database showing which buildings/HOAs allow rentals or not. Why do you need a resource outside of the MLS to determine if an HOA allows rentals? As you said your MLS search can filter for properties that definitely allow rentals.

    If you come across a condo that does not have a yes or no answer on the question of allowing rentals, ask your agent to check with the listing agent. Sometimes there are rental restrictions which your agent will want to disclose to you anyway. I just don't think you should be creating unnecessary work for yourself.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    @Greg Scott nailed it. Tread carefully.

  • Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    I want to thank everyone for their very useful advice. I have gone to check out some of the condos sent to me through the mls and so far, the seller's realtor has confirmed the HOAs of these visited properties allow rentals with certain conditions such as they only allow minimum 1 year leases. 

    The specific condo I'm looking at hasn't had a special assessment in something like 20 years since they have a couple million in reserves. They only allow leases for a minimum of a year. It's not a big cash flow property and I'm mostly looking at appreciation to add to my portfolio. I'll either break even or maybe $100 a month.  

    I currently have a 2 unit multifamily building that I purchased using my VA loan that I was house hacking but now have filled with two tenants and it does cashflow about $1000 a month. I'm hoping to eventually refinance into a conventional loan and use my VA loan again for a 4 unit building. I'm hesitant to do that right now since I have it at 3.25%.

    I think I'll start looking up the different HOAs in Chicago and look up their bylaws. 

  • Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Paul De Luca:

    @Phillip Nightingale

    I'm not aware of a comprehensive database showing which buildings/HOAs allow rentals or not. Why do you need a resource outside of the MLS to determine if an HOA allows rentals? As you said your MLS search can filter for properties that definitely allow rentals.

    If you come across a condo that does not have a yes or no answer on the question of allowing rentals, ask your agent to check with the listing agent. Sometimes there are rental restrictions which your agent will want to disclose to you anyway. I just don't think you should be creating unnecessary work for yourself.


    I'm just looking for a way to look at more properties than I'm currently getting and maybe just using that method to look at properties in other markets as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Since you are in Chicago, you may be in luck. If you know the address of one of the units or the PIN you can look it up at the Cook County Recorder site - http://ccrecorder.org. Some HOAs record the bylaws and amendments so you can click on the actual document and read through the bylaws. Other option would be to call the management company or HOA and request the document or ask the question directly.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 352 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Phillip Nightingale:

    Hello everyone,

    My question is a simple one, yet, I am unable to find out a lot of information on google regarding how to find condos in buildings where the HOA allows rentals. I'm currently working with a realtor and rely on him sending me mls listings. However, these only come in 1-3 at a time and every other day. On the mls listings, it seems it's just an option he can check off. "Allows rentals" yes.


    A quick way to do this would be to see which buildings have apartments listed for rent. If a big building does not have any active or recent rentals that would be a red flag for me. Generally speaking, if you are interested in going this route I would look at small 3-4 unit buildings, they are more lax about things like rentals and Airbnb, just don't anger your co-owners. Large buildings may have rent caps and lenders will care more about their owner occupancy rate than small buildings which are not scrutinized in the same way. Hope this helps!

    Last thought, you can also just walk up to a doorman and ask if they have any units for rent in the building.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    You need a realtor who can look hard and send you the deals that can rent out as its hard to tell without MLS otherwise. Often even with MLS I have to email list agent to confirm. In chicago we have many that can rent out often the low rise lower assesment buildings are best for investing.

  • Property Manager · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 302 posts · 246 votes
    3y

    The HOA may also specify types of rentals. I haven't found a condo complex that will allow short term rentals, even if they are in the city zone that can accept short terms (AKA AirBnB).

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Phillip Nightingale - You got a lot of solid advice above (check which buildings are currently being rented, filter MLS, check the recorder's website, etc.).

    My advice would be to not buy a condo and find a 2-4 unit.  I was at a meetup yesterday and there was a handful of people who had purchased condos in downtown Chicago that had not appreciated at all over more than a decade.  If you just want to find a super nice place in a great area and want the option to rent it out in the future, knowing it really isn't the best investment, I completely understand.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.