Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer H.
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
CRAP! 1st investment, 1st rain, window sill pooling water!!

Jennifer H.
  • Glen Allen, VA
Posted Dec 22 2013, 18:12

I just closed on my VERY FIRST investment property last week and got painters in there quickly to repaint the walls and trim. Today was the first big rain we had since we closed on the property and I noticed one of the window sills inside the house had a HUGE POOL of water!! :( INSIDE! The pool of water took up half of the window sill. It started on the outer edge and pooled all the way to the middle of the sill. I can't figure out where the water is coming from! I wiped it up and don't notice any water seeping back but also the rain let up a bit. I felt along the upper part of the window but it didn't seem to be wet just the bottom of the sill towards the wall.

I am guessing at this point it's too late to get any money back from the evil sellers right since I already closed? :( Shouldn't they have disclosed something like that to us before we bought the house?! How can someone NOT notice after 7 years of living in a house giant pools of water on the window sill every time it freaking rains. No wonder all the caulking along that window was horrible.

The worse part is, the window that is pooling was the window that had termite wings when the seller had the termite inspection. The seller did a termite treatment and we didn't see any visible signs of damage when we initially looked at the house and everyone said termites are very common. It also wasn't raining then when we looked at the house before closing. :( ARGHHhhhhhh so stressed. :( I'm afraid we might have to replace that whole entire window or wall! Have no idea how much something like that costs but that was not in the budget!

Has anyone else ever experienced leaking windows? Or problems that come up after you buy the house and you have buyers remorse?

Any advice is appreciated. :'(

ugh.

Loading replies...