Rent Increase 2023??

Rent Increase 2023??

Austin CookPro Member
San Jose, CA · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 5 votes

I am going into my first lease renewal and wondering how many are increasing rent from 2022-2023? 


I’m not expecting the tenant to stay more than 2-3 years. Since it was a remodel right before they did have to deal with some issues at the beginning so I have decided to stay at current rates.

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y

From what I've read, rent rates in Nashville have increased by more than 10% in the last year. You could increase your tenant 5% and they would still be below average.

Better yet, don't listen to statistics and averages. Study your market and really understand the value of your specific property, then charge what it's worth. 

If you feel these tenants were burned by the early hiccups, let them move out and start fresh with someone else that won't experience the hiccups and is willing to pay market rate.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    From what I've read, rent rates in Nashville have increased by more than 10% in the last year. You could increase your tenant 5% and they would still be below average.

    Better yet, don't listen to statistics and averages. Study your market and really understand the value of your specific property, then charge what it's worth. 

    If you feel these tenants were burned by the early hiccups, let them move out and start fresh with someone else that won't experience the hiccups and is willing to pay market rate.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    I increase based on market rates, not time.  I am increasing a lot right now...just to continue to catch up from the large market increases over the past few years.  Maintenance, materials, insurance, property taxes, and interest rates have all skyrocketed as well; so, need the revenue to cover them.  The government increased the money supply by Forty percent...the new "F" word...and this is the result.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    Where some of my rentals are there is a cap on increases, so I've been increasing it the max every year (which is $25-35 a month on rents of $1350-1600).  It is important to have annual increases in rent, even if they are small.  They add up over time and your costs are going up.  Plus it gets the tenant used to the increases.  Few people will move over a small increase.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    We always increase unless we know the rents are at the top of the market for that particular apartment (rarely are). We aren't increasing rents on one building - because we are planning to bulldoze it the moment the Fed fund rates get in the low to mid 4s. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Reno, NV · Member since 2023 · 267 posts · 297 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    From what I've read, rent rates in Nashville have increased by more than 10% in the last year. You could increase your tenant 5% and they would still be below average.

    Better yet, don't listen to statistics and averages. Study your market and really understand the value of your specific property, then charge what it's worth. 

    If you feel these tenants were burned by the early hiccups, let them move out and start fresh with someone else that won't experience the hiccups and is willing to pay market rate.

    Correct. It’s amazing how many SFR owners don’t know their real rental rate for their home. I could poll 100 owners and maybe 5 would actually have researched it and know what the monthly rent for their house could be. 
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Know what current rents are for rentals in your area and charge that. I raised my rents an average of $200.00 month this year to keep up with market increases. Operate your rentals like a business. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    With existing tenants I always raise the rent but typically a small amount. Lately, we've had huge increases in property taxes due to higher tax assessments. Some of my properties have doubled or tripled in price according to the local tax assessor even if they haven't in reality. When taxes increase by over $100 per month it doesn't work to do a $20 per month rent increase. Also, when I increase the rent I typically provide an explanation. The crazy market has been difficult for everyone.

  • Austin CookPro Member
    OP
    San Jose, CA · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Trevor Richardson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    From what I've read, rent rates in Nashville have increased by more than 10% in the last year. You could increase your tenant 5% and they would still be below average.

    Better yet, don't listen to statistics and averages. Study your market and really understand the value of your specific property, then charge what it's worth. 

    If you feel these tenants were burned by the early hiccups, let them move out and start fresh with someone else that won't experience the hiccups and is willing to pay market rate.

    Correct. It’s amazing how many SFR owners don’t know their real rental rate for their home. I could poll 100 owners and maybe 5 would actually have researched it and know what the monthly rent for their house could be. 

     Thanks all for the advice. I have looked at rates and fall in the top percentile of what it could rent for based on the size and location. median rates may have raised but I haven't seen the max rents increase at the same amount with a compression toward the top end. 

    Ultimately, I'm getting, research your area making sure you are still competitive and watch the increase in expenses and raise accordingly. 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    3y

    I raise every year except for some rents when their were Covid eviction moratoriums.  I let my best tenants pay a little under market rent, my mediocre tenants have rents near market, and when I have bad tenants, their rent increase puts their rent above market rate to encourage them to become someone else PIA. 

    My costs increase  constantly.  Insurance, maintenance/cap ex, property tax, miscellaneous cost all increase.   If I do not raise the rent my cash flow will decrease.  My goal, that I have been pretty good at achieving, is to increase cash flow.  

    Good luck 

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    It may be a good idea to consider keeping the rent at its current rate for the lease renewal, especially considering the initial issues the tenant faced due to the remodeling.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Austin Cook:
    Quote from @Trevor Richardson:
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    From what I've read, rent rates in Nashville have increased by more than 10% in the last year. You could increase your tenant 5% and they would still be below average.

    Better yet, don't listen to statistics and averages. Study your market and really understand the value of your specific property, then charge what it's worth. 

    If you feel these tenants were burned by the early hiccups, let them move out and start fresh with someone else that won't experience the hiccups and is willing to pay market rate.

    Correct. It’s amazing how many SFR owners don’t know their real rental rate for their home. I could poll 100 owners and maybe 5 would actually have researched it and know what the monthly rent for their house could be. 

     Thanks all for the advice. I have looked at rates and fall in the top percentile of what it could rent for based on the size and location. median rates may have raised but I haven't seen the max rents increase at the same amount with a compression toward the top end. 

    Ultimately, I'm getting, research your area making sure you are still competitive and watch the increase in expenses and raise accordingly. 


     You definitely need to raise rents every year to an extent. If your are already at the max, maybe just a small increase just to keep up with the expenses. Most people won't move over a $25-50 rent increase. It is too much of a headache to move even if it is a small studio you're renting out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.