I have a remote rental in B- neighborhood that's currently vacant. It takes 2 hours to get to the property, and so have a friend who lives like 30 minutes away from the rental assisting me with the showings for prospective tenants.
I have had lots of challenges with prospective tenants who want to come for the viewing but would drop last minute due to some issues. I had to have my friend wait at the property at-least 4 different occasions on a different dates and time, only to be stood up and the tenants don't show up. I get all kinds of reasons like car broke down, 'caught-up' with something else last minute etc from tenants.
I have considered scheduling an open house on a weekend, but there is no guarantee even that would work for all. Some of them say they work on weekends, or multiple shifts etc. I want to be respectful of their schedule and try and accommodate, but I can't also have my friend being stood-up every time.
What other strategies do you employ for managing showings?
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
@Kosh Vokter, I am local to my rentals and I had this issue when I first started myself.
I only do open house showings now. I don't even keep track of who said they will show up anymore. I don't do any pre-screening or require an application before showing so I treat open houses no-shows as people weeding themselves out of the process without me doing any work at all!
I typically get a healthy response for my rentals. Maybe 50-150 inquiries in the first week and 25-50 each week after that. So, I schedule 2 open houses per week. One mid week later in the day when day shift workers would be getting out of work 4-6pm or 5-7pm and the other one is on a weekend earlier in the day maybe 11am-1pm, 12-2pm or at latest 2-4pm depending on my own schedule. This I believe should allow 95% of people to attend one or the other.
Since I get such a healthy response, almost always do people show up to the open house. I've had a couple where people don't but that's life. I also don't make it wasted time as I plan small things to do while I'm there. Minor cleaning, touch-ups, lawn care, etc.
As I said, I don't even confirm appts for the open houses. If they DON'T show up, I consider that PRODUCTIVE because they have been weeded out as I'm there mowing the lawn and showing it to other people!
Rental Property Investor · Mebane, NC · Member since 2015 · 493 posts · 439 votes
3y
I like your open house idea if you're getting a lot of people regularly asking to see the house, but if not, you're right that it may be a waste of time.
The simple solution would be to get an electronic lock box or key pad door lock that will allow you to change the code after every use. This is what a lot of STRs are starting to do. You can have prospective tenants send you a picture of their drivers license then send a picture of themselves to confirm it's actually them before giving them the code. If I were doing this I'd also get a ring door bell or another camera in case something goes wrong I have video of exactly who entered the property. I may even have a camera or 2 inside. I'd also be very clear with them that you have these just to try and ward off any potential wrong doers.
I wouldn't use a hidden key on site because I'd be worried they'd come back several days later and break in.
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
@Kosh Vokter, I am local to my rentals and I had this issue when I first started myself.
I only do open house showings now. I don't even keep track of who said they will show up anymore. I don't do any pre-screening or require an application before showing so I treat open houses no-shows as people weeding themselves out of the process without me doing any work at all!
I typically get a healthy response for my rentals. Maybe 50-150 inquiries in the first week and 25-50 each week after that. So, I schedule 2 open houses per week. One mid week later in the day when day shift workers would be getting out of work 4-6pm or 5-7pm and the other one is on a weekend earlier in the day maybe 11am-1pm, 12-2pm or at latest 2-4pm depending on my own schedule. This I believe should allow 95% of people to attend one or the other.
Since I get such a healthy response, almost always do people show up to the open house. I've had a couple where people don't but that's life. I also don't make it wasted time as I plan small things to do while I'm there. Minor cleaning, touch-ups, lawn care, etc.
As I said, I don't even confirm appts for the open houses. If they DON'T show up, I consider that PRODUCTIVE because they have been weeded out as I'm there mowing the lawn and showing it to other people!
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
This happens a lot and I got stood up last night. I really didn't care since I was doing some last minute cleanings but making a special trip is annoying. I like to schedule 30 minute appt blocks and schedule every other day in the week and then on weekends and try to line them up back to back. What I do about no shows though is I really stress that they have to text me an hour before to confirm they are still coming and if they don't I tell them I am not going to be there. Most do but if there are any I'm really interested in I'll text them before I head over but with no reply I'm not going. If I'm already going to be there I'll text them to confirm but if not this is on them and just part of my screening. If you no call no show there will not be another reschedule unless I am already going to be there and you seemed like a really strong prospect.
I also show when the house is about 90% done and get there early and plan on staying after as well to do things like clean windows, mow, or other last minute things so that trips aren't wasted. This may not be best for you since it is a friend but I like to plan showings around when I'll be there anyway.
Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
3y
I don't do individual appointments anymore, either. I'll advertise an open house from 2-4 on a Sunday afternoon and around 5-7 Monday, depending on what I have going on. I've always had plenty of people show up and haven't had to do more than two showings per vacancy.
And like others have posted, I do little touch ups around the house/yard while I'm waiting so no time is wasted.
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Schedule 2 times during the week. One after a work day and the other on the weekend.
Offer both times to the prospective applicants
Write down their info and contact number on a list.
The day of, contact each prospect a couple hours before and confirm if they are coming.
This will help make sure there are no shows
Also, I had this issue when i was trying to rent a property that was not that attractive. I would get so many tire kickers and low qualiy applicants who just wasted my time. I talked to the owner and recommended that he renovate the property. After the renovation, I took great pictures and had much less tire kickers.
Quality and marketing also help. Look at both. Would you go to this showing? Would you feel bad blowing it off? Usually if its a super nice place people feel worse cancelling than if the porpetty is in rough shape..
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Kosh Vokter you have some good assistance there you will lose it if you keep sending your friend to no shows. do an open house yourself on the weekend and use him to show prescreened excellent candidates who cant make it. You will get an idea on the phone who those are. Have the prospects confirm they are coming before he leaves his house. encourage people to do a drive by. There is no rule you need to show to everyone who asks. people who are very difficult in the showing process are often difficult tenants. you can come to next weeks open house is one response. if it is vacant there are keycode options.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Open house only... people show up or they don't. I often get 50+ contact, 30 or so "we will be there" and 10-15 actually show up.
I will occasionally do a "I'll be there tonight fixing a few things, if you want to come by" for the people that just cant make the open house due to work etc. I'll get something done and if they don't show, I don't care since I was going to be there anyway.
I typically do a Sat AM... Sunday a little later "post church" time.. and then maybe 1 week night if I dont have the filled already
Explain that it's time-consuming to deal with cancellations. If someone wants to see the property, they can meet your friend at his location, then travel to the property together. If they don't show, it hasn't taken up any of his time.
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
3y
Have you tried sending them videos? Lately, when I receive an inquiry, I respond with my requirements and a quick property video. This at least gives them a better idea of the interior and avoids wasting anyone's time!
With open house, I would start announcing them ahead of time. If you can, I would do one during the week and one over the weekend around the time frames that "seem" be when prospects are inquiring for. I issue reminder the morning of, requesting them to confirm if they will make it. Also inform them that if I don't receive a response by a certain time, they will need to reschedule. If they fail to respond, usually means they won't be showing up.
Keep us updated with what turns out to work best for you (: