Seeking guidance - What to do from 1st to 1st?

Seeking guidance - What to do from 1st to 1st?

Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP Community,

I am a newbie to multifamily investing. My property just very recently became fully occupied. I spent so much time getting tenants for the property, and getting them moved in, that I am now curious how to transition my efforts to a fully occupied property. So far, no calls for repairs, so what should I be thinking about and doing to maximize the time I have each month. I don't have a property manager, so I do all of the outside maintenance myself. Would be really grateful for guidance and thoughts on how to be productive between picking up and depositing rents. Thank you in advance.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 638 posts · 393 votes
2y

Systems, systems, systems.  I would be focusing on cleaning up bookkeeping, communication portal with client, vendor list management, payment processing, etc.  At the same time, it is ok to enjoy the fruits of your labor and relax too!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 638 posts · 393 votes
    2y

    Systems, systems, systems.  I would be focusing on cleaning up bookkeeping, communication portal with client, vendor list management, payment processing, etc.  At the same time, it is ok to enjoy the fruits of your labor and relax too!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Glenn Cross:

    Create a maintenance schedule so you don't skip something. Mowing, trimming, fertilizing, pruning, cleaning the hallway, cleaning the laundry, etc.

    Schedule at least one inspection per year for each tenant. This will be a detailed inspection of every room, ceiling, floor, plumbing, smoke/CO2 detectors, window treatments and screens, etc. Figure out how to inspect and document, what to do if there's damage or violations, etc.

    I could go on. Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice about the management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - tells you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated yearly and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. You could also read Brandon Turner's book on Managing Rentals, found in the BP bookstore or at Amazon.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Glenn Cross NEVER pick up rents!

    What services pick up money these days?

    Nothing good happens when you pick up rent, other than maybe you get to see condition of property. Everything else is bad.

    Also, why have you read the books here on BP that cover this?

    Or one of the literally thousands of books, videos, etc on this thing called the internet?

    Yes, we are all here to help you, but not spoonfeed you!

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hi Michael,

    I have read a number of books on this subject and others. I do not feel my post warranted sarcasm (re: needing to be spoonfed). I was asking in earnest. You made an incorrect assumption that I was being lazy and not reading or studying how to prepare for this venture. 

    I do appreciate your feedback on picking up rents. Thank you for your advice. I will adjust accordingly. thank you again. 

  • Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Clayton Silva:

    Systems, systems, systems.  I would be focusing on cleaning up bookkeeping, communication portal with client, vendor list management, payment processing, etc.  At the same time, it is ok to enjoy the fruits of your labor and relax too!

    Thank you Clayton, this is terrific. I greatly appreciate your advice. Super helpful. 
  • Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Glenn Cross:

    Create a maintenance schedule so you don't skip something. Mowing, trimming, fertilizing, pruning, cleaning the hallway, cleaning the laundry, etc.

    Schedule at least one inspection per year for each tenant. This will be a detailed inspection of every room, ceiling, floor, plumbing, smoke/CO2 detectors, window treatments and screens, etc. Figure out how to inspect and document, what to do if there's damage or violations, etc.

    I could go on. Do yourself a favor: buy "Every Landlord's Legal Guide" by NOLO. Written by attorney investors, it's full of practical advice about the management of investment property, has sample forms that can be edited, and - most importantly - tells you what your primary state laws are and where you can read them. It's updated yearly and is the best $40 you'll spend as a Landlord. You could also read Brandon Turner's book on Managing Rentals, found in the BP bookstore or at Amazon.

    Thank you Nathan, I appreciate the advice and book recommendations. Interestingly, I have the lease agreements and other legal documents from NOLO but not the book you recommended. I literally just ordered it. Thank you again for the suggestion. 
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Glenn Cross Just to help clarify 99% of the time I do not pick up rents or allow them to be dropped off to me. I require electronic payments or a check to be mailed.

    Every now and again a situation has cropped up and then I will pick up a rent.

    You just have to learn to train your tenants to pay on time whatever method you choose.

  • Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Glenn Cross Just to help clarify 99% of the time I do not pick up rents or allow them to be dropped off to me. I require electronic payments or a check to be mailed.

    Every now and again a situation has cropped up and then I will pick up a rent.

    You just have to learn to train your tenants to pay on time whatever method you choose.


     Thank you Alecia, greatly appreciate the context. Really helpful. 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 364 posts · 244 votes
    2y

    Everyone here has giving great advice.  The only thing I don't see is open lines of communication with the tenants.   In my experience some tenants have in the past had bad landlords or property managers.  When something goes wrong or breaks a tenant will just let it be due to past bad experience with repairs/fixes not being done at all or just a bandaged to a bigger problem.  They won't tell you and when it comes time for a turn you have laundry list of small on going issues that could have been addressed much sooner.  I encourage you to make your tenant aware that you want to keep them happy so they pay on time and want to remain in place.  So finding out about little problem sooner and fixing them is key.  

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    Everyone here has giving great advice.  The only thing I don't see is open lines of communication with the tenants.   In my experience some tenants have in the past had bad landlords or property managers.  When something goes wrong or breaks a tenant will just let it be due to past bad experience with repairs/fixes not being done at all or just a bandaged to a bigger problem.  They won't tell you and when it comes time for a turn you have laundry list of small on going issues that could have been addressed much sooner.  I encourage you to make your tenant aware that you want to keep them happy so they pay on time and want to remain in place.  So finding out about little problem sooner and fixing them is key.  


     Thank you Joseph, that is really great advice. I really appreciate it. I will most certainly communicate that to the tenants. Thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.