Tenant requests 220 volt electric dryer hookup after buying new dryer 2 months into lease. I already provide 110 electric and gas for a gas appliance. How should this be handled: tenant pays, landlord pays or split costs and why?
Why would you pay? They bought a new dryer and didn't bother looking up the electrical that was in place, that is on them. If they do get it connected, make sure that it is done by a professional AND that your electrical panel can handle it. I'd tell them to return it and buy one that uses the existing connection.
Why would you pay? They bought a new dryer and didn't bother looking up the electrical that was in place, that is on them. If they do get it connected, make sure that it is done by a professional AND that your electrical panel can handle it. I'd tell them to return it and buy one that uses the existing connection.
Tenant requests 220 volt electric dryer hookup after buying new dryer 2 months into lease. I already provide 110 electric and gas for a gas appliance. How should this be handled: tenant pays, landlord pays or split costs and why?
Aaron
I would not pay but if they wanted to have this added I would have a licensed electrician perform the work.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
What did they do for the first 2 months in regards to a dryer? Did you supply one or make them bring one? Did they live fro 2 months with no dryer?
Anyway. When the installers came they should have said, nope, this can’t be done. Then they would take the dryer back to the store and sell them a gas dryer
I can’t see how this happens other than you trying to rent out a property with no dryer installed? (Otherwise it would be your dryer they removed.) then they would have to be looking at the obvious connections and go to the store and buy the wrong type. And then haul it home themselves without installation? If all that happened I suggest you start including dryers with the properties. Buy a new dryer and have them put this one in the garage or return it.
But I also don’t know of any appliance shop with no return policy. Especially if they plan to buy a more expensive one. (Gas are more expensive to buy, but cheaper to operate.). Best advice I can give until you fill in one of the blanks.
We used to provide washer and dryer, but tenants washed greasy, oily work clothes leaving the washer unusable until cleaned, or clogged the pump requiring disassembly to remove obstruction. So, removed washer / dryer. Don’t know how or where tenant washed clothes for 2 months; a laundry is nearby.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
1y
Adding the ability to have an electric dryer adds minmal value to your property.....most people buy gas because it's cheaper to run. So why should you pay for it at all? I would just nicely say no. But it sounds like they are going to clog up the new dryer anyway. They should be using a commercial laundry...
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Some of the answers on here have me shaking my head... Do you want a tenant to pay on time... do you want them to treat the property good... do you want them to stay for multiple years... than why not have a conversation with them about putting in the 220? Get a quote, and see if there is something you can work out. All of these people that responded with "why would you pay?" or "No", really don't understand tenant and vacancy management.
Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
1y
I agree with @Theresa Harris & @Nathan Gesner but this whole post seems weird....who buys a 220v Dryer? Anyone can go to any website of any big box retailer and see how unusual that is. Maybe that is why someone with 2 posts asked the question?
I agree with @Theresa Harris & @Nathan Gesner but this whole post seems weird....who buys a 220v Dryer? Anyone can go to any website of any big box retailer and see how unusual that is. Maybe that is why someone with 2 posts asked the question?
What? The vast majority of electric dryers run on 220v. The 110v dryer is rare. In fact, I've managed hundreds of homes, thousands of renters, and I've never run across one. The only 110v dryers I see online are small portable units.
Rental Property Investor · Indiana...mostly · Member since 2019 · 468 posts · 245 votes
1y
@Nathan Gesner Oops. My mistake. Thank you for pointing this out for me and others.
I think Natural Gas dryers have 110V outlets but electric only dryers are 220V w/30 Amp breakers, if I'm remembering correctly. I think I've been changing my 3 prong connection electric dryers to 4 prong for some many years now also.
I should probably confirm w/my electrician company but at the risk of making another mistake, I'm about to press Post Reply...
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
I would not install a 240V outlet for an electric dryer because of a tenant request if there is already a gas hook up for a dryer. Some people prefer an electric dryer over gas and in some of our properties we have both gas and electric hook ups for dryers so they can have their choice. A factor is whether the panel and electrical can handle the additional load. Many houses that have gas only have 100 amp service vs the 200 amp that is typical of all electric homes. They can get a gas dryer and then have means to dry their clothes. Adding this circuit in would likely be quite expensive depending on access between the laundry area and the panel. I'm assuming the property has a gas range. What if they want an electric one?
Property Manager · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2012 · 99 posts · 40 votes
1y
Where's the dryer? Where's the panel? It could cost only one month's cashflow. Is the tenant a long term? Pays on time? When's the lease up? If they move soon, one month vacancy would eat away any savings of a hard "no" and it's wintertime (here) where vacancy is harder to fill...I'd at least discuss with the tenant and have someone do a bid to find out what it even costs for this home.