Tenant shot & in the hospital

Tenant shot & in the hospital

Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes

How do you handle this one?  Served a 3 day notice this past Monday.  Got a call from the tenants mother on Tuesday morning - she said her son (my tenant) was shot nine times this past Saturday & is in intensive care, surgeries, etc.  She informed me that she & her sisters plan to take care of the rent so he still has the home when he gets out of the hospital.  I texted her the rent amount on Tuesday afternoon (per her request) & the various ways to pay it - she said she would "get with me on the payment".  I plan to kindly follow up with collecting.

Trust but verify - I looked it up & there was a news story about it

Anyone know of any resources out the there to help him in the short term with rent?  Any legal issues I should be aware of in this situation?  Uncomfortable even thinking/asking this but how do I handle the turnover if he passes away?

Thanks!

Greg

1Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y

I've been through situations like this.

Hopefully the family pays rent and this becomes a non-issue.

If they don't pay the rent, you need to be understanding and kind, but firm.  It is not your responsibility to house this person's items indefinitely in your rental.  The clear solution is to simply follow the eviction proceedings as you normally would.

Here is one legal sensitivity you need to be aware of.  Do you have written confirmation that the sisters / mother are a good emergency contact?  You should never let someone into a unit without written evidence that you have authorization to do so from the lessee.  If they were listed as an emergency contact, you are OK.  Otherwise, I would seek this out. 

Sad truth of our current legal system, but if you go through the eviction process and he loses all this stuff, you are in the clear.  On the other hand, if the sisters came in and took all his stuff and he had not given you permission, you are liable.

One potential solution if you end up having to go through eviction is to tell the family when the constable / sheriff comes to have their stuff removed.  (Process varies by jurisdiction)  If they know exactly when it is being removed, they can come rescue important items.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    I've been through situations like this.

    Hopefully the family pays rent and this becomes a non-issue.

    If they don't pay the rent, you need to be understanding and kind, but firm.  It is not your responsibility to house this person's items indefinitely in your rental.  The clear solution is to simply follow the eviction proceedings as you normally would.

    Here is one legal sensitivity you need to be aware of.  Do you have written confirmation that the sisters / mother are a good emergency contact?  You should never let someone into a unit without written evidence that you have authorization to do so from the lessee.  If they were listed as an emergency contact, you are OK.  Otherwise, I would seek this out. 

    Sad truth of our current legal system, but if you go through the eviction process and he loses all this stuff, you are in the clear.  On the other hand, if the sisters came in and took all his stuff and he had not given you permission, you are liable.

    One potential solution if you end up having to go through eviction is to tell the family when the constable / sheriff comes to have their stuff removed.  (Process varies by jurisdiction)  If they know exactly when it is being removed, they can come rescue important items.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Below is a link to the rent assistance program in Canton, Ohio; I would collect the current rent from the family and then provide them with this resource for help with future payments.  Hope this helps...

    https://www.starkhelpcentral.com/rent-utilities-assistance

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    My PA lease has specific clause on the second matter of your question. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg Grisez:

    How do you handle this one?  Served a 3 day notice this past Monday.  Got a call from the tenants mother on Tuesday morning - she said her son (my tenant) was shot nine times this past Saturday & is in intensive care, surgeries, etc.  She informed me that she & her sisters plan to take care of the rent so he still has the home when he gets out of the hospital.  I texted her the rent amount on Tuesday afternoon (per her request) & the various ways to pay it - she said she would "get with me on the payment".  I plan to kindly follow up with collecting.

    Trust but verify - I looked it up & there was a news story about it

    Anyone know of any resources out the there to help him in the short term with rent?  Any legal issues I should be aware of in this situation?  Uncomfortable even thinking/asking this but how do I handle the turnover if he passes away?

    Thanks!

    Greg


     If she pays cool. If she doesn't, evict him. Him getting shot is irrelevant.

    • Wholesaler · RVA | BKNY | Seattle · Member since 2025 · 21 posts · 8 votes
      1y

      @James Wise  unfortunate but yes, 100% true. It is of course courteous of you to give them lenience, especially in a situation like that, but at the end of the day bills are due And you have to pay them too. Especially in the real estate rental sector, I like to say "Be polite through hospitality, but be harsh on Business"

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:

    I've been through situations like this.

    Hopefully the family pays rent and this becomes a non-issue.

    If they don't pay the rent, you need to be understanding and kind, but firm.  It is not your responsibility to house this person's items indefinitely in your rental.  The clear solution is to simply follow the eviction proceedings as you normally would.

    Here is one legal sensitivity you need to be aware of.  Do you have written confirmation that the sisters / mother are a good emergency contact?  You should never let someone into a unit without written evidence that you have authorization to do so from the lessee.  If they were listed as an emergency contact, you are OK.  Otherwise, I would seek this out. 

    Sad truth of our current legal system, but if you go through the eviction process and he loses all this stuff, you are in the clear.  On the other hand, if the sisters came in and took all his stuff and he had not given you permission, you are liable.

    One potential solution if you end up having to go through eviction is to tell the family when the constable / sheriff comes to have their stuff removed.  (Process varies by jurisdiction)  If they know exactly when it is being removed, they can come rescue important items.


     Thanks! Hadn't considered that.  I don't have her as emergency contact.  I'll work on addressing that with them.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:

    My PA lease has specific clause on the second matter of your question. 

    Thanks!  I'll work on reviewing my state laws & getting something like that into my lease.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Greg Grisez:

    How do you handle this one?  Served a 3 day notice this past Monday.  Got a call from the tenants mother on Tuesday morning - she said her son (my tenant) was shot nine times this past Saturday & is in intensive care, surgeries, etc.  She informed me that she & her sisters plan to take care of the rent so he still has the home when he gets out of the hospital.  I texted her the rent amount on Tuesday afternoon (per her request) & the various ways to pay it - she said she would "get with me on the payment".  I plan to kindly follow up with collecting.

    Trust but verify - I looked it up & there was a news story about it

    Anyone know of any resources out the there to help him in the short term with rent?  Any legal issues I should be aware of in this situation?  Uncomfortable even thinking/asking this but how do I handle the turnover if he passes away?

    Thanks!

    Greg


     If she pays cool. If she doesn't, evict him. Him getting shot is irrelevant.


     Appreciate the advice.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    Check the unit for pets.

    If there are pets in the unit take a pan from under the sink and fill it with water so there's something to drink.

    Look around for some pet food spill that into another big pan so they have something to eat. 

    While you were there call the renter from the unit and ask what the renter wants to do with the pets.

    If the renter has no way to take care of the pets and you do not want to keep them due to their cuteness and friendliness, then an option might have to be a no kill shelter.

    https://www.nokillnetwork.org/

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Looks like there is one program that has not closed yet in Ohio, maybe not the right county, but I would call anyway, they typically know who else could help.

    https://nlihc.org/rental-assistance?utm_source=NLIHC+All+Subscribers&utm_campaign=156d693f5e-CDC_073021&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e090383b5e-156d693f5e-293274797&ct=t(CDC_073021)

  • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Best wished

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Looks like there is one program that has not closed yet in Ohio, maybe not the right county, but I would call anyway, they typically know who else could help.

    https://nlihc.org/rental-assistance?utm_source=NLIHC+All+Subscribers&utm_campaign=156d693f5e-CDC_073021&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e090383b5e-156d693f5e-293274797&ct=t(CDC_073021)


     ThanksI I'll check it out

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Check the unit for pets.

    If there are pets in the unit take a pan from under the sink and fill it with water so there's something to drink.

    Look around for some pet food spill that into another big pan so they have something to eat. 

    While you were there call the renter from the unit and ask what the renter wants to do with the pets.

    If the renter has no way to take care of the pets and you do not want to keep them due to their cuteness and friendliness, then an option might have to be a no kill shelter.

    https://www.nokillnetwork.org/


     Fortunately no pets

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:

    Ya know, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the obvious to you here. This dude got shot 9 times. He's probably someone you don't want in your unit for the long term. It's very rare that somebody just gets randomly shot 9 times by a stranger. I'd venture to guess your tenant is a criminal or drug addict of some sort.

    There's some truth in your thought but he's actually a really nice hard working young man.  Has good job at a local factory & recently started school to become a welder.  He has a knack for making bad choices.  The shooting was about a girl - the two men knew each other.  This past summer he got stabbed in the neck trying to break up a fight.  I suppose he'll either learn to stay out of trouble or implode.
  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Rent collection update - paid in full by his mother yesterday.  I'll continue to make it clear that I won't bend on rent collection while being nice & sympathetic.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Greg Grisez:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    Ya know, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the obvious to you here. This dude got shot 9 times. He's probably someone you don't want in your unit for the long term. It's very rare that somebody just gets randomly shot 9 times by a stranger. I'd venture to guess your tenant is a criminal or drug addict of some sort.

    There's some truth in your thought but he's actually a really nice hard working young man.  Has good job at a local factory & recently started school to become a welder.  He has a knack for making bad choices.  The shooting was about a girl - the two men knew each other.  This past summer he got stabbed in the neck trying to break up a fight.  I suppose he'll either learn to stay out of trouble or implode.

     lol, bro, he's been involved in an attempted murder twice in the last 6 months. Get him out of your unit.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Greg Grisez:
    Quote from @James Wise:

    Ya know, I'm surprised nobody has brought up the obvious to you here. This dude got shot 9 times. He's probably someone you don't want in your unit for the long term. It's very rare that somebody just gets randomly shot 9 times by a stranger. I'd venture to guess your tenant is a criminal or drug addict of some sort.

    There's some truth in your thought but he's actually a really nice hard working young man.  Has good job at a local factory & recently started school to become a welder.  He has a knack for making bad choices.  The shooting was about a girl - the two men knew each other.  This past summer he got stabbed in the neck trying to break up a fight.  I suppose he'll either learn to stay out of trouble or implode.

     lol, bro, he's been involved in an attempted murder twice in the last 6 months. Get him out of your unit.


     Well that hits home when you put it that way!  Thanks for that

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.